Owning A HDT Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

RandyA

Can't say for certain, but I have heard that regular super glue works good for cuts and things too. Anybody tried it?

I think you can buy medical skin glue in the drug store. It's over the counter. Can't remember what they call it though.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Can't say for certain, but I have heard that regular super glue works good for cuts and things too. Anybody tried it?

Sometime my fingers develop cracks and super glue does the trick to close them up. Also keep it in our first aid kit when sons, brother and I go on our week long backpacking trips, though haven't needed to put it to use. Recall reading that first experimental field use was in Vietnam. Just like any cut/wound, need to clean the site real well but that's even more important with super glue as "do overs" are a pain!

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Jim & Bob

http://www.nexcare.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NANexcare/Nexcare/ProductCat/~/Nexcare-Skin-Crack-Care?N=4326+3294631800&rt=rud

This is the stuff, goes on with a small brush, layer it on, 2 or 3 layers, waterproof. 3 days later crack has closed up enough to use hand lotion. Dry climates and concrete work are a couple of causes. If you have a paper cut bugging you at 2 am. Put some tape of any sort over it and 20 minutes later the pain will be gone. Electrical tape, masking tape....any tape.

I don't know how they would have glued Randy's arm. The 2 sides of the cut would have to be held in alignment then the glue applied. My best guess is he was under at the time so he can't tell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before they started the physio treatment, did they wrap your wrist in a heatpack? Clay perhaps?

Maybe this remark fits under the heading of "Hillbilly-knowledge" but..........."Grumps" used to say......"you seldom find a drunk driving a cab-over-truck........they just can't muster the climb-into-the cab and........if they do get drunk in the truck....they will likely fall out of the truck trying to climb-down"

So.......where any adult-beverages involved in these......... "medical-wrecks?"

Drive on..........(be careful of the....."landing")

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Yep, used it all of the time when I was an auto tech. I didn't like the regular super glue, I used the gel. It would stay in place and not run. It works great on knuckles and anywhere the skin will spread,places where doctors won't stitch them up. Quit going to the Dr. when I would bust a knuckle or slide something open. Just glue up and get back to work.

2007 Volvo VNL 780 "Vlad"

2008 Dutchmen Grand Junction 34QRL

Not me, I was cleaning the gutters on my house in Calgary. Halloween, the one decent day of weather. Stepped on ladder and it skated out from under me. Both wrists shattered, 2 broken ribs, flail rib injury, when leaf blower landed on my back, split my skull and wrecked my leg.

I truly know what Randy is going thru. He is fortunate not to have a head injury, paralyzed or killed himself.

Doubt Randy was drinking while working on the rig, he's not stupid.

Maybe this remark fits under the heading of "Hillbilly-knowledge" but..........."Grumps" used to say......"you seldom find a drunk driving a cab-over-truck........they just can't muster the climb-into-the cab and........if they do get drunk in the truck....they will likely fall out of the truck trying to climb-down"

So.......where any adult-beverages involved in these......... "medical-wrecks?"

Drive on..........(be careful of the....."landing")

Well, I guess MANY, MANY years ago I would have been one of those "seldom" guys. I was 28 or so in a 1975 GMC Astro (fishbowl) and I can tell you I made it into that truck after a party more than once.........

VisitedStatesMap.gif

As a Healthcare Professional I would discourage the use of "Super Glue" for anything other than true Emergency First Aid. There are significant risks for infection and other "side effects" from it's use. Yes there are a lot of people who may use it all the time and have no problems.

We do use a skin glue often with my work. It's a great product if used as recommended. Ours comes in a "Sterile" package and the sites have been surgically scrubbed prior to the application. Infections are greatly reduced with this use. It doesn't actually dissolve as much as the skin layers continue to renew under it and it finally falls off as the new skin takes it's place.

Don't forget to check the date of your last Tetanus shot with any laceration or abrasion you may think will be made better by "Super Glue".

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod, the Nexcare product as I recall was for skin cracks only. It is not for joining both sides of a laceration together. It is one of at least two 'off the shelf' products for that purpose.

Funny you should mention tetanus, I had typed and posted the same recommendations then deleted the post not wanting to sound like a lecture on the obvious.

I will however say that most men are not very bright as there have been 5 injuries in the last 10 days on the jobsite I do First Aid on, 2 being shot in the hand or thumb with a 3" air spiker, 1 minor cut and 2 with metal or wood debris in the eye while using a sawzall.

All preventable. Non wearing eye protection. Very frustrating when site won't enforce the rules.

Again re tetanus, when I package the individual with the nail still embedded, a First Aid Assessment sheet accompanies them with reference to not knowing if the shot or booster is up to date. Presumably they get one or the other.

Lessons I learned the hard way .... 1. Never get into a truck with slip on slippers ! One got caught and I fell out of the truck and went straight down and landed on my back, thank god for dirt ! 2. Never chat with a friend and hold a cup of coffee ! Forgot the coffee was in my hand, tried to grab the rail, said "oh shit" and fell out and landed on my side .... Dang black tops are hard ! I lucked each time, just wounded my pride, cuts and bruises, no broken bones. What is sad is I drove trucks for many many years, what I have noticed is the older I get, the less I bounce !

I truly know what Randy is going thru. He is fortunate not to have a head injury, paralyzed or killed himself.

Doubt Randy was drinking while working on the rig, he's not stupid.

Thank you, Roger. It is like I used to tell my students, "No one in this classroom is stupid - every one in here is smart and can learn - it is just that you sometimes do stupid things." No, I wasn't drinking. But by the time I got to the ER I was wishing I had a pint or so. The ER nurse asked me what my pain was - I replied it was a solid 10. She brought me a Percocet in a cup and a glass of water. A little later they started an IV and gave me some more good drugs and a Valium. Then the nerve block before they tried to set the bones. OK - I received a statement from my insurance (Humana Gold Medicare Advantage) yesterday that showed the ER visit being $7,000. They would pay all that was billed except a self administered medication - Medicare does not cover a self administered drug. That part of the bill is my responsibility. That ONE Percocet that I swallowed was billed at $79.00 - unbelievable! The drugs they administered by IV were covered. Talk about dumb Medicare rules....... :angry:.

Pug - your story reminds me of an old joke-story: A somewhat inebriated cowboy comes into town riding a Mule. He falls off and skins himself up real bad so he goes to the local Doc. Doc looks at him and says, "Was it the asphalt?" The old guy replies, "No, it was my fault."

I did slip getting into our Volvo several years ago. Fortunately, all I did was bruise my rear end along with my pride. I was in a campground at the beach and there were several onlookers that saw my tumble. Come to think of it, I was wearing Crocks. You can add that to the list with flip-flops.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Thank you, Roger. It is like I used to tell my students, "No one in this classroom is stupid - every one in here is smart and can learn - it is just that you sometimes do stupid things." No, I wasn't drinking. But by the time I got to the ER I was wishing I had a pint or so. The ER nurse asked me what my pain was - I replied it was a solid 10. She brought me a Percocet in a cup and a glass of water. A little later they started an IV and gave me some more good drugs and a Valium. Then the nerve block before they tried to set the bones. OK - I received a statement from my insurance (Humana Gold Medicare Advantage) yesterday that showed the ER visit being $7,000. They would pay all that was billed except a self administered medication - Medicare does not cover a self administered drug. That part of the bill is my responsibility. That ONE Percocet that I swallowed was billed at $79.00 - unbelievable! The drugs they administered by IV were covered. Talk about dumb Medicare rules....... :angry:.

Pug - your story reminds me of an old joke-story: A somewhat inebriated cowboy comes into town riding a Mule. He falls off and skins himself up real bad so he goes to the local Doc. Doc looks at him and says, "Was it the asphalt?" The old guy replies, "No, it was my fault."

I did slip getting into our Volvo several years ago. Fortunately, all I did was bruise my rear end along with my pride. I was in a campground at the beach and there were several onlookers that saw my tumble. Come to think of it, I was wearing Crocks. You can add that to the list with flip-flops.

Randy, I would question the person who said you self administered any controlled substance. You were provided a medication prescribed by a physician and administered to you by a licensed Registered Nurse. You DID NOT ADMINISTER a drug to yourself. I work in Healthcare but have had little experience on the receiving end. Apparently the billing person has neither.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod- My experience a few months ago was the same. Insurance paid the ER bill except for the Percocet that was administered. Everything else was covered but the pill. That little cup should have been gold or at least have had a good rum to wash the pill down with....

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Rod, here in Canada, all of the surgery plus my hospital stays are covered by our govt medical plan...I paid nothing for any of the clinical or hospital visits or stays for the 4 surgeries to both my wrists.

To your point, they sent me home with a dozen Percocet, no charge, after the 3 main surgeries with instructions to take when needed. Percocet is a Narcotic. With those instructions, is that not 'Self medicating'?

Other times after a Clinical visit they provide a prescription which I have to purchase and take as noted on the bottle, is that not 'Self medication'? So if that's the case, any pills you take yourself is 'Self Medicating, right?

So maybe Randy had to purchase his medication and that is not covered. If so, he may be able to write the meds off his income tax.

Maybe US rules are different from Canada.....But pain at a solid 10 is same on both sides of the Border.

Randy, I'd discuss with the Dr. the removal of the plate in a couple or 3 months so you don't have to go thru what my right wrist has. Rupturing the tendon is a small percentage, but it happened to me and has complicated things a lot.

Things will get better incrementally over the weeks and months.

Rod, here in Canada, all of the surgery plus my hospital stays are covered by our govt medical plan...I paid nothing for any of the clinical or hospital visits or stays for the 4 surgeries to both my wrists.

To your point, they sent me home with a dozen Percocet, no charge, after the 3 main surgeries with instructions to take when needed. Percocet is a Narcotic. With those instructions, is that not 'Self medicating'?

Other times after a Clinical visit they provide a prescription which I have to purchase and take as noted on the bottle, is that not 'Self medication'? So if that's the case, any pills you take yourself is 'Self Medicating, right?

So maybe Randy had to purchase his medication and that is not covered. If so, he may be able to write the meds off his income tax.

Maybe US rules are different from Canada.....But pain at a solid 10 is same on both sides of the Border.

Randy, I'd discuss with the Dr. the removal of the plate in a couple or 3 months so you don't have to go thru what my right wrist has. Rupturing the tendon is a small percentage, but it happened to me and has complicated things a lot.

Things will get better incrementally over the weeks and months.

To me, yes they are totally separate. Obtaining a prescription, visiting a pharmacy to pick up the medication and taking it home following the instructions on the bottle is self medicating. Having a nurse hand you a pill in a cup is not. If that was the case much of the medication taken by patients in a hospital would be considered self medication. They are given the same way.

Depending on the location of the plate, removal is sometimes a good idea. Be sure to discuss with your Surgeon the risks and benefits.

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Archived