Remedial Question - Air Governor

Av8r3400

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To add to Scrap's description, here is a bad picture of my dryer with a mini purge tank and governor.

Steve

VQ5HHQGl.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

4 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Today's update on the air compressor not building air, 

Well it happened again last Friday as I was taking the truck to.....

And just think.... You sold a truck in EXCELLENT mechanical condition......  

I'm not the fastest up the hill anymore, but at least I make it!  🤣

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

8 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

And just think.... You sold a truck in EXCELLENT mechanical condition......  

I'm not the fastest up the hill anymore, but at least I make it!  🤣

Every truck has some quirks, just need to get this one figured out, and the build done. At least I'm at home where I can get it worked on at a reasonable price.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

1999 VNL610, D60 SERIES, Governor is located just behind the compressor on the motor. 

When I purchased my truck with 599000 miles I made some decisions that I feel needed to be done.  The air system to me is one of the most important systems for safe travel.  With that in mind knowing I just purchased a 19 yr old truck it was to me a no brainer to make some major purchases on my time and budget.  During a search the world over on the web I found that I could save hundreds of dollars  by purchasing new rebuilt items that if the old ones crater on the road would put a real hurt on the budget.  

So with that said I feel that anyone purchasing an older truck should consider going through their air system and replace the major components before they become a problem.  Now considering my 19 yr old truck had pretty much original equipment still.  I feel that making an investment would give me peace of mind for years to come which it has.

I replaced my compressor, air dryer, governor, and many fittings and air divertor boxes (if that is what they are called.).  All of this with labor for around a grand. To me I would much rather spend my cash on my time frame instead of giving it to some emergency service guy while sitting on the side of the road not knowing when I might be under way again. 

With all of my baseline upgrades to my truck I have been told that many times the air system needs to have regular maintenance.  Governor, dryer cartridge, around every 2 years,  My truck it probably looked more like 10 plus years.  Did my air system work yes it did and it may have worked for years but the peace of mind I have now knowing where my base line is on my old truck is worth way more than a grand. Not to mention my air system holds air for days instead of hours.........

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

14 hours ago, TomNGina said:

1999 VNL610, D60 SERIES, Governor is located just behind the compressor on the motor

I replaced my compressor, air dryer, governor, and many fittings and air divertor boxes (if that is what they are called.).  All of this with labor for around a grand. To me I would much rather spend my cash on my time frame instead of giving it to some emergency service guy while sitting on the side of the road not knowing when I might be under way again. 

2012 DD15,
Well Tom on a DD15 the parts are a little more expensive, but I did replace the compressor. My truck has half the miles yours does and 13 years newer so I still believe the failure is premature, but 6 hours labor to remove and replace the compressor and almost 800.00 dollars for the reman compressor still equals to peace of mind, I did have a shop replace the compressor but I am doing the dryer myself.

So tomorrow I will have it done and building all the air I want. This was a drop in the bucket as far a cost is compared to the generator and battery bank inverters I am installing with my new build!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger     Even with new trucks (to us or new model year) there are still problems that we just have to overcome. Just a little hill in life to climb! Making air is sweet. I sure enjoyed the trip we took so keep it fixed we may want to do another road trip next year.      Pat

The Old Sailor

8 hours ago, JPL said:

Roger     Even with new trucks (to us or new model year) there are still problems that we just have to overcome. Just a little hill in life to climb! Making air is sweet. I sure enjoyed the trip we took so keep it fixed we may want to do another road trip next year.      Pat

The Old Sailor

Pat, 

looking forward to seeing everyone again next year. We will have to take a road trip again to check out all the improvements to the truck. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived