Smartcar oil filter

GlennWest

Ok, no problem. Just for it inconvenient to have to provide my own filter. Car been on the market for several years now and still have to order them and provide to service center. Do you guys stock up on them? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes Glenn. When I need them I buy 3 - 4 and store them. I do my own oil changes at about 8500 miles. Also be sure to get the crush washer for around the drain plug.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

16 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Yes Glenn. When I need them I buy 3 - 4 and store them. I do my own oil changes at about 8500 miles. Also be sure to get the crush washer for around the drain plug.

Do you have a particular source for the oil, air filters and crush washers?

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

Crush washers can be a problem. We had our oil changed last summer and leaked due to this. They corrected. I don't get to change myself due to full time status. RockAuto has best price I found on them. Looks like I need to stock up myself. I just got mine serviced this morning. Was going to last week. Checked several places and no one carried it. Ordered from O Rileys and paid $22 for it. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Given the limited sales numbers, I'm amazed at the number of places to source parts for them. I bought front rotors last winter @ NAPA, they had one on the shelf, the other came from the other side of Phoenix. I usually get oil and air filters on Amazon. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

29 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Had no problems with parts for the 2013, filters or such. Now the new turbo units, not so.

Interesting.  I've never had an issue getting parts either, but just traded cars this week.  It has a fresh oil change, so I need not worry for a while.

On the drive home, we filled with gas.  It took 4.7 gal. to go 230 miles. (over 48 mpg running about 80 mph)  Huh?  Does it really do that well? I even clicked the handle a couple times to be sure it was full, aas it showed <1/4 tank, and should hold 7.7 gal.  Our 2013 only got about 40 mpg. or less.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Also they click off early at the pump. Need a slow pump to fill up. Mercedes even changed tank in mine in an attempt to correct this. Problem still there. It was likely full when you got it and you didn't get full tank. It will read full but won't be. With 2 bars showing takes 6 ish gallons to fill. I have put 8 in mine with 1 bar showing. But that is time consuming to fill up.

Thanks Glen.  Next fill, I'll check it again, and do the ol' "shake a pudding" thing to slosh the fuel into the corners.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

I get 44 to 48 mpg routinely. Last tank was 51 mpg, that was the highest I've ever had on my 2010 Smart (138k miles on the odometer). Tires make a big difference on my car. Continentals do better than Kumho's on mpg.

I use K&N HP-1008 oil filters on the Smart. The same filter fits my Infiniti EX35 and my John Deere lawn mower. I order them from Amazon, a dozen at a time. Never have replaced the crush washer. 

2006 Freightliner M2-112 Sportchassis
2015 Keystone Raptor 412-TS
Lots of motorcycles and toys

Murfreesboro, TN.

Yes, the non turbo units got great fuel mileage. I do like the newer tranny though. The smaller engine with turbo is basically a wash with the latter non turbo though. Gets going faster due to the shift. 

On 4/6/2019 at 9:09 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Do you have a particular source for the oil, air filters and crush washers?

Hi Jim,

So far I have just bought the things I need at smart dealers when I happen to pass one.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Archived