Heater, blend door actuator, prices from 14-60dollars

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I think I have found the problem with my Pete, not blowing hot-warm air in the cab, everything works as it should in the sleeper.  Today I did some dash panel removal and found the unit that activates the blend door, it didn't move when I moved the temperature control knob, key in the run position.  I removed the actuator, started the truck when it warmed up I could move the blend door lever by hand and get heat out of the vents so I now know for certain there is nothing wrong with the heater core for the cab.

So I start looking for a replacement part, the prices range from ebay14-54 dollars, regular parts places to include NAPA the same I haven't dared call the local Pete dealership to see what they would want for an OEM part.  Looking at the photos, reading the descriptions all of these parts, they look to be the same, haven't been able to see or find a brand name listing for most of them the only brand name I found was Dorman, this was on the 50+ dollar part.  So has anyone replaced such a part on your truck, if you have do you recommend a particular brand or are they all the same made in china crap just at a different price point.  Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave get the most expensive one. It is bound to be made better than the cheaper ones, even if they are the same manufacturer..... at least that is what they want you to believe.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy Dave - parts from Peterbilt and KW dealers have a Paccar Parts warranty that would be valid at seventy eleventeen Pete and KW dealers across the USA and Canada, should it be needed in your travels. Not like that guy that tried fixing your window controls ...

Having a nice warranty and easy access to the warranty of course ensures you will never need it😀.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Dorman is a OEM manufacture for many parts.  The window lift motors in Volvo's are a renumbered Dorman part, etc.  I wouldn't be afraid to use one of their parts in your Pete.

Howdy Jim,

Thanks for your advice, I am thinking along the same lines.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Dave get the most expensive one. It is bound to be made better than the cheaper ones, even if they are the same manufacturer..... at least that is what they want you to believe.

Howdy Phil,

One would hope a person gets what they pay for but nowadays you just don't know anymore.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

52 minutes ago, noteven said:

Howdy Dave - parts from Peterbilt and KW dealers have a Paccar Parts warranty that would be valid at seventy eleventeen Pete and KW dealers across the USA and Canada, should it be needed in your travels. Not like that guy that tried fixing your window controls ...

Having a nice warranty and easy access to the warranty of course ensures you will never need it😀.

Howdy Lawrence,

I'll call the local Pete, dealer ask for a price and also ask about a warranty if there is any as this is an electrical part.

Speaking of warranties, I was reading through our contract and in paragraph 3, subsection B, clause 12, it clearly states that the Canadian engineer who performed the window control lever repair would travel at his expense anywhere in the USA and Canada to include Hawaii, to remedy the repair should it ever fail during the life time of the owner of the truck at the time the original repair was made. 😀

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Ha! You missed Addendum 6 part 2 in which all warranty is void because you bought breakfast downtown and said verbal histories AND drove your good lookin rig past me in Parker when I was on my bike at a side intersection and only Newt saw me and waved.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Just now, noteven said:

Ha! You missed Addendum 6 part 2 in which all warranty is void because you bought breakfast downtown and said verbal histories AND drove your good lookin rig past me in Parker when I was on my bike at a side intersection and only Newt saw me and waved.

Howdy Lawrence,

Well darn it anyway, I knew I shouldn't have bought breakfast that morning, I missed that Addendum.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Blend door problems are *common* with pickups.  The various diesel forums have extensive documentation for replacement (on pickups).  Can't vouch for the gas-burner forums, but the parts should be the same.

Part of that info is the recommended supplier - their products are all metal -vs- the plastic OEM parts - with many satisfied customers on the forums.

No clue if the suppler would also have MDT / HDT versions - but a visit to (ex: the Dodge Diesel forums) might yield the mfgrs contact info. 

Howdy All,

Just thought I should update this thread.  Did a lot of research, "Dorman" seems to be the part to buy, I ended up getting the proper part at Auto Zone, $60.05 including tax, LIFE TIME warranty good at ANY Auto Zone store in the country.  Very easy to install in the Pete, three screws hold the large access panel in place, three screws hold the actuator in, then unplug-plug in the wire harness.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived