Diagram of grease points, on trucks, speciffically the Pete, 379

mr. cob

Howdy All, Scrap, in particular if you have the time to share some information.

I have searched everywhere I can think of and I can't come across a diagram detailing the points to grease when doing a complete chassis lube.  I am sure somewhere such a thing exists but I can't find it.  Any information that may be of help sure would be appreciated, thanks.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Every truck is different, based on order specs and age of unit.So this is just a start.....

You will have(going from memory as I owned a 2000 Peterbilt 379L about 15-17yrs ago):

1 or 2 on each brake s-cam tube(each wheel)

1 on each brake slack adjuster(each wheel)

2 front leaf spring shackle pins (rear of front leaf) each side

1 front spring pin(front of front leaf spring, right behind bumper)each side

1 output shaft of steering box

3 on steering shaft under hood (2 u-joints plus slip joint)

2 on drag link

2 tie rod ends

steering king pins

driveshaft u-joints and slip joints

clutch throwout bearing(may either be hanging through inspection cover on bottom of flywheel housing or hose routed    to group of grease zerks behind drivers side spring shackle)- do not over grease as this will contaminate your clutch brake making it not work.

mechanical clutch linkage (inside frame under cab or hosed to group of grease zerks mentioned above)- only needs one shot per zerk

hood hinges (if I recall correctly)

Possibly engine fan clutch (yours should be new enough to be sealed for life)

You may have more or less than what I have listed. For example it may have been ordered with Lubed For Life Driveline, which would eliminate u-joint and slip joint lube requirements.

Howdy porky69,

THANKS, the man who has in the past taken care of such things on my truck, can't do such work anymore, his son and his family are now living in his garage while they look for a new home.  I am to darn gimped up to crawl around under the truck to look for these points so having a list like what you have provided will give me a better chance of finding them when I am able to do such work again.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, porky69 said:

The grease zerk manifold behind the drivers side front spring should have I do believe 5 zerks..... I forgot about the 2 (one on each side) on the clutch fork pivots half way up the sides of the flywheel housing.

Howdy porky69,

Thanks I am going to save and print out your replies you have been most helpful.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Yea that's pretty much all of them.  The Lubed for life driveshafts are only good to 600K.  After that they need it every time with everything else.  Same goes for the extended service brakes.  If they have plugs instead of zerks in those spots then a guy needs to put in zerks at 600K and grease with everything else.

There is a zerk on the front of each seat suspension but you may not want to do those unless it is a problem.  Makes a mess on the inside of the truck.

Careful when greasing the steering gear:

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/globalassets/na/trucksteering---literature/steeringgears-lit/steeringgears-sp/tas103.pdf

Archived