Totally off topic for geeks

GlennWest

As many know here, I weld for a living. We use a simple rotary device for amp settings. Likely a reostat. Haven't opened it up yet. Has a typical 3 prong plug, extension cord, to connect to welder. They work great. But I want a wireless one. Everyone wants up to $2000 for wireless. The plug that connects to machine are priority plugs but only use 3 terminals for amp adjustment. Seems to me a wireless unit would be easy to make. Any geek here willing to advise me? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Hey Glenn, I proudly consider myself to be a Geek but this is too complicated and unnecessary even for me lol. When one of my buddys and I are fabricating a project in our RV park and questioning just how good it needs to be, his response is "Its good enough for the women we run with"

Nuff said, John T 

i am not a geek. heck i have trouble keeping in the magic smoke. but i do understand a bit on this subject.

but yes to the rf problem. not a fcc problem here, as most everything puts out and accepts rf interference. so could be a problem keeping your settings if not built to a very tight tolerance. (thus the cost point of the factory built stuff).

your welder will put out far more rf than this controller you want. pending where and how the rf is at on the bands, just welding could "reset" your settings. or even fry out a part in the electronics. no contact needed, just the rf can do this.

i try to do as much my self, but somethings are best to bite it and just buy the stuff, as it will do the job the right way.

yes i know hurts the wallet. but only once.

It's not the cost really. Theifing is major problem now. I can easily see that money walking away. A few hundreds makes me mad. A few thousand makes me want to kill. Just being honest here.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

yes i can understand that.

here in the hills were i live there is this saying.  mind the three "S'".

Shoot,

Shovel,

Shut up.

i am setting up a rear hanger off my 5er for a honda eu 3000, it will be made heavy, the eu will be bolted and welded inside a cage, to help keep it from walking away. even the rack will be bolted and security locked to the rv.

better to think paranoid, then have to buy another.

• 2 weeks later...

Controllers for radio control models are dirt cheap.  A $25 Chinese RC transmitter on 2.4GHz would probably be fine around the welding interference.  Then add a $5 servo to turn the rheostat, and $15 receiver to send the signal to the servo.  You'd need a power supply of around 4.5-7v to power it.