50 Amp RV

aztex

Hi,

The Airstream I'm considering I thin has 50 amp service as it has two ACs. I wouldn't normally spec those but that's what it has.

I've not used an RV with 50 amp before and not sure what I need to know. I "think" I can still use 30 amp BUT run only one AC at at time.

Can I simply get 30amp <-> 50amp adapters and plug my 50 amp cord into a 30 amp service pedestal? 

I assume a 50 amp surge protector but how will that handle 30 amp service?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!

The Rv 50amp plug supplies 2 legs of 110v. A 30 amp supplies 1 leg of 110v. Also 30 amp vs 50amp. Now your electrical panel box has 2 hot sides. So one side of your box will be dead with 30 amp. A properly balanced panel box will have acs on seperated legs. So 1 ac only work and whatever else on that legs wont either. Now some parks electrical has 20amp circuit on seperate leg than the 30amp. An adapter would help in this case. Also a 50amp circuit, one can say it is 100amp. Since both legs are seperate, you have 50amps on each leg. So 30amp is a lot less power.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

15 minutes ago, aztex said:

Can I simply get 30amp <-> 50amp adapters and plug my 50 amp cord into a 30 amp service pedestal? 

You are correct. Just keep in mind the lower power limit. It is also important to realize that a 50A cord is not just 20A more than a 30A because the 30A cord  has 1 hot lead that supplies a maximum of 30A while a 50A cord will have 2 hot leads which can supply 50A each, for a theoretical total of 100A. In the real world you actually can use on the order of 80A of continuous power but I have heard of very few situations where the upper limit was a problem for any RV with 50A service. 

19 minutes ago, aztex said:

I assume a 50 amp surge protector but how will that handle 30 amp service?

Correct again. Just keep in mind that the circuit breaker on the power pedestal is not king and will limit your total consumption.

20 minutes ago, aztex said:

Anything else I need to know?

Like many others here, I have done that many times as we had a 50a cord on our fulltime motorhome. \

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

The Rv 50amp plug supplies 2 legs of 110v.

Optimum was changed from 110V to 120V back in 1954. 😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

So one side of your box will be dead with 30 amp. 

To clarify.  Commercial 50 amp to 30 amp adapters will feed both legs of the panel, so you won't have a dead side of the box.  But you will be restricted to 30 amps total versus 2x50 amps, so you'll have to be careful about what you try to operate. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I always average/state it as 115 volts. The standard should . . . . Well, if you don't "should" on me, I won't "should" on you! :P

Here's a good thread on allaboutcircuits.com:

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/what-is-the-actual-household-voltage-110-115-120-220-240.3320/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

so true but most refer 110v instead of 120v. 

You must be nearly as old as I am! I too grew up using the 110 number but after 40 years of electrical working I got used to the "new" voltage. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Aztex:

Easy answer = No problem!

Carry a 50 to 30 adapter (for cg pedestals with only 30 amp) and you're good to go.

A surge protector is a "must have" for any RV that connects to an  AC source (campground).  Check out Progressive Industries. (50 amp PI will work with 30 amp also.)  Expensive - but worth every penny!

Wouldn't have an RV without 50 amp  - besides handling various electrical "loads", like the 2 A/Cs - think *resale*!

BTW - for everything Airstream - visit "Airforums" ...... (Airstream forums).

https://www.airforums.com

Edited by Pappy Yokum

We actually carry both a 50 amp cord and a 30 amp cord.   No since hauling out the heavy 50 amp cord, when the lighter 30 amp cord will do.    Yes, you do quickly learn what you can and can not do with 30 amps.  So when on 30 amp, 1 a/c or washer/dryer or microwave at a time.   And we also run water heater, fridge on shore power along with charging batteries.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834