Need a "USED" speedometer, to fit 2000 era Pete 379

mr. cob

2 minutes ago, noteven said:

Ya my little dually has a “road gear” like that but I think yer engine is going to get away from me soon as the road tilts up hill like

Howdy Lawrence,

One of these days that big yeller kitty under the Hood is going to get me in trouble, but like Sammy Hagar, "I can't drive 55" some times 65 or more road conditions and traffic permitting safety for all.

One thing I have noticed with the 18 speed Auto-Shift, the acceleration up to about 45mph seems kinda slow compared to the other HTD owners trucks I have had the honor to travel with, at around 50mph it starts to move well, from 60mph up I swear this truck just giggles and tempts you to turn it loose.  Darn old kids and their toys..........................

Dave

PS. If I were 20 years younger I'd look into building one of those hot rod 1,000 plus HP C-16 Marine engines, don't know what I would do with it other then burn fuel, break transmissions, twist drive-shafts and blow axles,  but I'd darn sure have a smile on a face an undertaker couldn't remove. 😇

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

13 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Well shoot. I thought I had chrome bezels, but they are black. I also have the tach in matched black from the same dash if you want it. Or if someone knows how to swap bezels....?

ometer.jpg

Howdy Deezl Smoke,

Can I take a rain check on the tach and the speedo, if I can't get my speedo repaired maybe I can swap bezels.  That speedo isn't exactly like mine but with the matching tach and chrome bezels it would look right.  Please PM me and let me know what you want for them.  THANKS.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
sqelin is hared

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

These trucks will go 80 mph?  OMG, who'da thunk!

Word from the guy who worked on ours before we bought it, the ecm was set at 99........ I haven't tried it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

20 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

These trucks will go 80 mph?  OMG, who'da thunk!

Word from the guy who worked on ours before we bought it, the ecm was set at 99........ I haven't tried it.

Howdy Ricky,

I believe Sir, the more correct statement would read, "I haven't tried it, yet." 😆

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Dave, you crazy motorcycle guys are all the same.......

Howdy Ricky,

"Guilty as charged."

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Back in the fifties us old racers used to rotate the gauges so that at normal operation the needles were pointing up. Made it easy with analog gauges to tell at a glance if everything was okay.

GaryD

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

On 5/3/2020 at 5:04 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy Deezl Smoke,

Can I take a rain check on the tach and the speedo, if I can't get my speedo repaired maybe I can swap bezels.  That speedo isn't exactly like mine but with the matching tach and chrome bezels it would look right.  Please PM me and let me know what you want for them.  THANKS.

Dave

If you end up with no other leads, you can have them free for the gauges, and just whatever freight charge is. Or you can come pick them up if you wish. I'm just about 8/10 mile south of US26 at exit 57.

I'm a work'n on it.

6 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

If you end up with no other leads, you can have them free for the gauges, and just whatever freight charge is. Or you can come pick them up if you wish. I'm just about 8/10 mile south of US26 at exit 57.

PM, sent.

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave is your autoshift of a late enough vintage you can manually skip shift it?

Try manual mode and up shift on the button one click, then try 2 clicks not too fast not too slow and see if it upshifts 2 speeds vs 1.  Then try 3 clicks and so on.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

19 minutes ago, noteven said:

Dave is your autoshift of a late enough vintage you can manually skip shift it?

Try manual mode and up shift on the button one click, then try 2 clicks not too fast not too slow and see if it upshifts 2 speeds vs 1.  Then try 3 clicks and so on.

Howdy Lawrence,

My Auto-Shift, defaults to start in 3rd gear, I can manually skip shift it up to 5th gear as a starting gear.  The transmission will skip shift on its own for example, 3-5-7-9-11 or 3-6-9-12 etc both up and down as needed to move the load.  I can manual skip shift from or to any gear so long as doing so won't lug or over speed the engine within ECM parameters.  I can also pick any of three reverse gears, RL, R, RH.

I really like this transmission, having the clutch makes sneaking up on the pin when hooking up EASY, same with getting started on slippery surfaces.  I know I'll get a lot of flack for saying this but I prefer the old 18 speed Auto-Shift to the newer two pedal auto trucks that I have driven when it comes to over all control.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Ok - the other thing that comes to mind (I’m a bit rusty on this) is I think the engine can be programmed to limit torque in the lower gears - we used to use this on trucks with 4 speed auxiliary trans behind 18 speeds to protect the driveline and diff inputs...

The auto shift can be a bit lazy getting going - and the more you floor it the longer it holds the gear before upshift  (opposite to an automatic torque converter trans) and the closer oncoming cross traffic gets 😳... add that to the Cat’s natural lazy throttle response...

But get out on a 10 mile grade and ya, it pulls pretty good 😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Ok - the other thing that comes to mind (I’m a bit rusty on this) is I think the engine can be programmed to limit torque in the lower gears - we used to use this on trucks with 4 speed auxiliary trans behind 18 speeds to protect the driveline and diff inputs...

The auto shift can be a bit lazy getting going - and the more you floor it the longer it holds the gear before upshift  (opposite to an automatic torque converter trans) and the closer oncoming cross traffic gets 😳... add that to the Cat’s natural lazy throttle response...

But get out on a 10 mile grade and ya, it pulls pretty good 😀

Howdy Lawrence,

My Freightliner, had a 10 speed three pedal Auto-Shift, 12.7 series 60 Detroit, 435 HP engine, 3.55 axle ratio.  Pulling the same trailer it seemed to get to 30mph quicker then the Pete, with the 18 speed A-S with the Cat C15 550 HP engine with the same 3.55 axle ratio. 30-45mph they seem to be about the same, 50mph and up there is a BIG difference and when it comes to making a pass or climbing the grade the two trucks are WAY different there is no comparison the Pete just flat runs away from the other truck.  I am thinking you may be right about the torque being limited in the lower gears to protect the drive-train that would explain the seeming lack of acceleration and slower gain of rpm in the lower gears.  All I know for sure is I love this ole truck.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg