Buy RV in USA or Canada

This is our first post here. We live in Scotland but rent an RV in the States every year (have done for past 7 years) and would like to buy one to keep in the States and use as a holiday home. We are going to buy an ex rental from Cruise America but are not sure whether to buy in USA or Canada (from Cruise Canada). Does anyone know of the tax/licence fee advantages/disadvantages of both? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I have never purchased anything in Canada but if you intend to use and store your RV in the USA I think it may be easier to just make your purchase in the States. I’m just guessing. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Taxes, registration and license plate fees differ in the US by state. So do the rules and regulations. What states are you typically visiting?

Also just my personal opinion, I would not buy a rental unit of any vehicle, they are typically rode hard and put away wet.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

36 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

just my personal opinion, I would not buy a rental unit of any vehicle, they are typically rode hard and put away wet.

Is that based on your own experience? Since the OP has rented for seven years, I suspect they know what to expect. Although repeat renters may get the best of what's on offer while buyers may get the worst of them so, as always, it's a case of buyer beware.

As to the OP's question I would think buying in the country in which you want to register it would be best. I know Canadians who have had to pay import taxes and jump through extra hoops to buy in Canada then register in the US. Not sure how that would apply to a resident of Scotland. I also know of Canadian RV companies that sell to US residents but have never delt directly with them. You might be best off to ask Cruise America directly.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Is that based on your own experience? Since the OP has rented for seven years, I suspect they know what to expect. Although repeat renters may get the best of what's on offer while buyers may get the worst of them so, as always, it's a case of buyer beware.

As to the OP's question I would think buying in the country in which you want to register it would be best. I know Canadians who have had to pay import taxes and jump through extra hoops to buy in Canada then register in the US. Not sure how that would apply to a resident of Scotland. I also know of Canadian RV companies that sell to US residents but have never delt directly with them. You might be best off to ask Cruise America directly.

Linda

That comes from 30 years of being a business traveler and renting multiple vehicles every month in almost every state and few other counties. I've also rented three different RVs. 

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

We have friends who bought from Cruise America and they were happy enough that they bought another when they went up in size. 

Since you will need an address here to register and insure the RV, I suggest you join Escapees RV club and use their address service. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the helpful replies. We are likely to be in the West/mid West most (Arizona, Utah, Nevada most I would think). We have read hours worth of pros and cons regarding buying ex rentals and feel we are confident that Cruise America offer the best deal for what we are looking for and for our budget, but thanks for the warnings. At least with an ex rental there is a paper trail of servicing etc, which you won't always get with a private buy.

Any used item comes with a degree of risk. With vehicles, when you buy from a rental company there is usually a warranty, which is not true when buying from a private party or from most RV dealers. 

Since you will be in the western states you might be wise to use a TX address as there are not many states that allow registration using a mailbox address. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for that. Yes part of the reason that the Cruise America package is attractive to us is that it includes a warranty. I notice that your friends bought from Cruise America-can I ask which size as we're trying to decide whether to go for the C25 or C30. Thanks :)

Several years ago, I almost bought a used RV in Canada.

The rub is when you take it across the border.  IF I remember correctly the US wants that medallion that certifies a RV.  I think most folks have seen it, but never paid attention to it.  Well, that medallion does not exist on vehicles made in Canada for domestic use.

IF you buy NEW, the dealer will affix the medallion and you can get across the border. 

I got all sorts of "good" advice on how to sneak a used RV past US Customs.  I decided to confine my used purchases to the US.

Anyway, check with US Customs.  Since I was looking for a used or new RV I called the company that built them new....and got the complete story.  

All things might have changed since a decade ago.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Here in Yuma, AZ. with a high Canadian snowbird population, I have seen several transactions of a Canadian tilted and licensed vehicle that has been purchased by a US citizen. All of them went thru an agent in Phoenix that does this business. It cost several bucks and time. All three stated if doing it over again, they would have sold it to a US citizen. Same the other way. Had a Canadian friend that would buy a US titled RV and he would have to "import" it into Canada ( Saskatchewan) He knew all the ins and outs and never had a problem because he had his ducks in a row when reaching the border. My suggestion is if titling and licensing it in US, avoid possible problems and purchase in the US. If the other way around, buy in Canada.  

It's been a few years since I spoke to this US dealer - but they did many sales of Jayco products to Canadians.

One of their locations is Havre, Montana - just across the US / Canadian border - Marden's Trailer Sales, Trailers & Motor Homes.  Family owned, in business for 50 yrs+.

Second location - Great Falls, MT

They sell new and used RV's - but not prior rental units.  Very nice folks - also Montana can be a tax "friendly" state.

You might contact them and discuss your plans, etc.

Also,  discuss your licensing & registration needs with America's Malibox, Box Elder, South Dakota.   Very experienced, they also have been in business a long time.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Just another FYI....a poster on RV Net Open Roads Forums was researching former Class C rentals.  Besides the usual info, he wanted to hear from folks who had actually purchased one.

So the May 7, 2012 thread started by - "IAMICHABOD" -  is still running currently - with 108 pages!  Last post in April 2020.

Thread title:  "Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?" (In the Class C Motor Home Forum)

Link:  https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26035008/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm

Edited by Pappy Yokum
typos corrected