Covered RV Park In Yuma...?

aztex

Howdy,

Starting adventure heading to SoCal next week. Could be 110° going across the desert and I'd rather not do it in one day for a variety of reasons.

Is there a good RV park in Yuma that has covered parking? I've done Tucson when that hot at the KOA and it wasn't too bad if you can keep direct sun off.

Leaving June 2.

Price no object.

Thanks!

Where are you starting from? Where is SoCal are you heading. From Yuma to San Diego via I-8 I don’t know of any covered RV sites. The driving time from Yuma to San Diego is only 2 1/2 hours and a lot of it is in the mountains east of San Diego. A lot cooler than the desert. I would just go for it and get to San Diego. From Quartzsite to Los Angeles via I-10 I remember a covered storage lot near Palm Springs but don’t remember the name of it. It is a storage lot not an RV Park. Drive time to LA is about 4 hours and most of it is desert hot. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

16 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Where are you starting from? Where is SoCal are you heading. From Yuma to San Diego via I-8 I don’t know of any covered RV sites. The driving time from Yuma to San Diego is only 2 1/2 hours and a lot of it is in the mountains east of San Diego. A lot cooler than the desert. I would just go for it and get to San Diego. From Quartzsite to Los Angeles via I-10 I remember a covered storage lot near Palm Springs but don’t remember the name of it. It is a storage lot not an RV Park. Drive time to LA is about 4 hours and most of it is desert hot. 

Thanks.

Where I want to be is 6.5 hours which is kinda pushing it.... I figured Yuma best place for a good RV park and early am gets me the rest of the way out of the Sonoran Desert by 10am.

This is my first RV trip in summer and it may be 110°. I usually travel is nicer weather and make it to Anza Borrego and boondock but it's closed....

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I can't remember ever having been in an RV park where one could rent a site with a cover for only 1 night. I suspect that the park with trees is as good as you will find. 

The KOA in Tucson has ~100 covered sites! A huge solar array gives lots of shade! Covered sites ~$50 night but well worth it in summer! Lots of grass and various upgraded sites with verandas and outdoor grills etc..

If you ever find yourself going across the desert in summer and want a break I LOVE the KOA Tucson! It's in the heart of RV stores so you can stock up on RV supplies if needed as well.

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I can't remember ever having been in an RV park where one could rent a site with a cover for only 1 night. I suspect that the park with trees is as good as you will find. 

Almost in your backyard. Westgate RV Park

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

9 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Almost in your backyard.

That would be a mighty big yard, even here in Texas!  😷 It is 35+ miles from Ft, Worth and twice that from Dallas. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Not even close to the AZ/CA border? But it does look like a great place if you are looking for something near Dallas/Ft Worth and at a great price especially the monthly rate. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Now I know why we like a more natural setting.  That's ugly!

That's what OP was looking for, just in a different location.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Now I know why we like a more natural setting.  That's ugly!

Ugly? YES But once that hail starts falling they are a thing of beauty!

Especially with an Airstream as Texas hail is one thing that scare the heck out of me!

11 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

That's what OP was looking for, just in a different location.

Or as I said before an i thought more places may be leaning towards they use the covers for solar panels. May even be a third party providing it to harvest photons and KOA gets the shade!

I was in Yuma and Apache Junction last spring and watched those places empty out in late April as temps ramped up. A covered park like KOA Tucson I was able to handle 100° mid June with no issues!

koasm.jpg

One thing to keep in mind when driving from Yuma to San Diego - there is a climb over the mountains about 90 minutes out of Yuma - and overheating is a possibility - there is a turnout and water available. But my advice would be to leave Yuma about 5am to make the climb in the coolest part of the morning. The scenery is great - huge boulders.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel