Quartzite

I have been to Quartzsite several times during the "big show" and that is pretty much the way that we remember it. It is one of those things that I think that every RV owner should visit at least 1 time, but it isn't something that will ever be a significant attraction for us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

30 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I have been to Quartzsite several times during the "big show" and that is pretty much the way that we remember it. It is one of those things that I think that every RV owner should visit at least 1 time, but it isn't something that will ever be a significant attraction for us. 

I have also been to Q several years during the big show and I don't remember it being anything like that cartoon. Maybe because we camped out in the desert with friends who parked in such a way we would qualify as following the social distancing rules of today? And I never went to the big tent at all because that type of shopping is not my thing?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I've also been in Quartzsite for the last 4 Big Tent shows (I'm in one of the LTVAs all winter).  While there certainly sections of the LTVAs that look like the cartoon, particularly during the middle of January, there are just as many sections where RVs are well distanced from each other.  During the last Big Tent show I was in La Posa West, the smallest of the Quartzsite LTVAs & closest to the Big Tent area, and we still had 40' - 50' between trailers.  All depends on how close you want to be.

As to the show, I don't see how it can happen & meet social distancing rules:

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

6 hours ago, vermilye said:

As to the show, I don't see how it can happen & meet social distancing rules

By making wider aisles and spacing between booths? They are saying fewer vendors which increases their ability to do that.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Even wider aisles isn't going to make it safe.  That place is packed.  There's no way to keep everyone 6' apart unless they put footstep decals on the floor every 6' all directions and you wait your turn until the footstep in front of you is clear.  Otherwise, people are typically going to crowd together.  How about coming to a booth to see what they have?  One person at a time?  It's not going to work safely.  Hopefully, this will be somewhat over by then but I'm not counting on it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I don't think there's going to be near the number of people in Q this year, I think many people will be staying home, and unless things change for the Canadians, I don't think they'll be able to get health insurance to come down for the winter.  There will be a certain number of seasonal people (I'm planning on being one of them) and some people who will come from California and Phoenix, but I don't think there will be nearly as many as usual.

The 14-day free areas can get like the cartoon, but at least last year the LTVAs weren't that crowded, even the ones close to the show.  And while in years past I would go opening day, it was more to people-watch than any other reason.  Serious shopping always waited until the crowds thinned out some.  This year I will hang out in camp for the first day and ignore the world.

Will they be able to make it work this coming year or not remains to be seen.

The picture vermilye posted is actually lightly packed with people.  We've been in the Big Tent when there was barely any room to move because people were packed in like sardines.

Assuming that the event takes place, there's no way I'd go this January even with the changes they're talking about.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

14 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I don't think there's going to be near the number of people in Q this year, I think many people will be staying home,

I would expect that to be true also, but if you think that will automatically mean it will be safe, take a look at what is happening in Sturgis, SD where they say the numbers are only half what most years bring. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

I would expect that to be true also, but if you think that will automatically mean it will be safe, take a look at what is happening in Sturgis, SD where they say the numbers are only half what most years bring. 

Can’t disagree with that!  

I‘m going to be watching how it goes with interest.  I do have something I would like to buy from one of the vendors that was in/around the big tent last year, but otherwise don’t really care.  I’m planning on going to Q for much of the winter because I like the area and the weather.  

Woodfield as really, really nice, a little bit like a suburbia RV park (and not exactly the type of park I’m used to staying at).  Wide sites, lots of trees.  Mostly new park models and they are continuing to develop/build out the park as it’s only partly finished.  Friendly people.

I was able to (mostly) use solar for the 12v system/keeping my batteries charged, which is a help when electricity is extra.  I almost always had good neighbors coming and going.  No problem for my portable satellite, though I did have to try a second location since the first place I tried had too many trees.  I’d definitely stay there again.  

I was a little sorry I didn’t commit to the entire summer, by the time I asked about it, they already had a waiting list.

On the other hand, I’m enjoying Ruidoso also.