using truck for daily commute

GlennWest

Anyone currently doing this. I am kicking around the idea. It would mean another truck because mine just too long. Two vechiles lot easier to fit in rv parks. And with the newer trucks and def they need to be driven and not set up. But would bobtail use cause  emissions problems? I am cautious about new emissions trucks. Hearing 2016 up doing well now though. I should remind everyone too about my problems with my 2012 Duramax. Using it for a daily commute was problematic. Cloged up emisisons. Then go in limp mode when neeeding to tow. Really leaves me weary of them.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Going to drive my 1998 Dodge CUMMINS 12 Valve, manual transmission, pre emissions, no ECU truck, just as long as I can.

Not talking about a girlie truck. lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

17 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

My Volvo IS quieter than my Big Bad Cummins🙉 

Don't doubt that. My Freightshaker is loud. I would never even attempt to use it for a daily commute. 

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Anyone currently doing this. I am kicking around the idea. It would mean another truck because mine just too long. Two vechiles lot easier to fit in rv parks. And with the newer trucks and def they need to be driven and not set up. But would bobtail use cause  emissions problems? I am cautious about new emissions trucks. Hearing 2016 up doing well now though. I should remind everyone too about my problems with my 2012 Duramax. Using it for a daily commute was problematic. Cloged up emisisons. Then go in limp mode when neeeding to tow. Really leaves me weary of them.

Glen,

I use mine as a daily driver, we have put 25,000 on it since last May and about 16,000 has been as a daily driver groceries, food and anything else we need to do. We have a 2020 Volvo VNR 640, single with 189" wheelbase and it is just a little too big for a single space but not much longer then a F450 the frame behind the cab is @ 10' long . It is our only truck. When we are hooked up we are @64.5' long with a DRV Fullhouse Toyhauler and the hitch is 6" behind the rear axle.

Hope this helps,

Ken....

2024 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

IMG_1230_1.png

My worry about using an HDT as a daily driver is the number of trips I do a couple miles and then shut the vehicle down for 8 hours and then do the same at the end of the day. Those are the hardest miles on any vehicle. I'm strongly considering an electric motorcycle (or bike) for these trips. My next visit to the BMW motorcycle shop may affect this if a potential repair bill reaches anywhere near the price I'm afraid it will. With the virus, and the summer heat I have limited my weekend rides. 

If you can ensure your trips are long enough to fully warm up all the fluids in the truck it will love to be used. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Work is usually 20 to 30 mile trip. Short trips, lowes, groceries can be within 5 miles, Depends where I am. When I work DW usually get groceries. She has an SUV. I did stay in Poche RV on River Road and work was with in 10 miles all 45 mph. That commmute messed up my Duramax. 

Edited by GlennWest

• 2 weeks later...

All the engines which use DEF to manage emissions will get unhappy if they are not allowed to complete a regen cycle.  By this I mean none of the current tech has the notion of a partial regen.  Without a partial regen you can get into a state where the duration of the trip is short enough to either not enable a regen to complete or not enable a regen to start; both of which will have an end result of a "too full" SCR which then will cause a warning followed by a limp condition.

I'm living this dream right now; one of our daily drivers is an ecodiesel; another is a cummins.  Typical commute is now 3 miles (was 18 miles).  Bot get into a state where they need to regen and you get a warning on the dash.  If you follow the instructions it'll regen and all is well.  If you let it go long enough you get a limp to dealer experience.

HDTs are further from DMax's / Cummins / EcoDiesels in regards to being optimized for regen during a short daily commute :).  If you only have short drive cycles you will get to into a  state where your choice will be drive longer or go to limp.  I don't know how the HDT will message this scenario; you may want to check on that.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg