Van build with horses?

LMD

So I am interested in eventually getting a van and converting it into a camper....but I also want to be able to pull a 2-horse trailer with it. The horse trailer is 3280 lbs and horses might be around 1200 lbs each Approx. Though it would probably mostly be only one horse. I am interested in the diesel sprinter 3500 or the ford transit cargo van. Apparently they can pull 7500 lbs....don’t know much about all the nuances of towing so I am wondering if this might work? I know there are other things I can do but I really like the idea of a van and being able to camp without horses sometimes plus I don’t know if I have much need for a truck....any advice on how I can have this setup would be appreciated! Let me know what you think!

"They can pull 7500 lbs". That is a general statement that is most often untrue. Towing capacity depends upon several numbers, one of which is how much the van actually weighs the moment you drop the hitch onto the trailer ball. Most manufactures numbers come from having one 150# driver, 1/2 tank fuel, no other cargo or passengers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Most manufactures numbers come from having one 150# driver, 1/2 tank fuel, no other cargo or passengers.

You will need to determine how much weight will be added to the van you want to convert and apply that to the total weight of the van which must then be deducted from the van's total combined weight rating to determine how much you can safely tow. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, LMD said:

but I also want to be able to pull a 2-horse trailer with it. The horse trailer is 3280 lbs and horses might be around 1200 lbs each Approx. 

Remember that you'll have the additional weight of feed...bales of hay, grain, or whatever it is you feed your horses.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

A Transit with an EcoBoost V6 would be a decent tow mobile - if a person could build out what you want without using the high roof long tail model I'm thinking that would make a better tow van. 

4 x 2 wheel drive Transits are front engine rear drive and also available in drive to all 4 wheels. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I must add, having hauled horses and cattle for a few decades, you need a larger tow vehicle for towing live animals than for towing a travel trailer. The animals move and sway to counteract the motion of the trailer, this can cause the tow vehicle to -for lack of a better term- jerk around when cornering, braking, and changing direction.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I must add, having hauled horses and cattle for a few decades, you need a larger tow vehicle for towing live animals than for towing a travel trailer. The animals move and sway to counteract the motion of the trailer, this can cause the tow vehicle to -for lack of a better term- jerk around when cornering, braking, and changing direction.

Ray ya mean when you pull away from a stop trying to show off for a couple pretty gals maybe even float shift'n on the jake and the passengers decide to change places and you do a monumental blow a shift?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.