Generator for 5th Wheel

I just purchased a 5th wheel that does not have a built in generator and I want to have a generator. What is the best method of installing a generator: having one installed in the cargo area and having it ventilated properly or merely placing a portable generator in the bed of the pick-up or??  any ideas or issues would be appreciated. Pat

If you install a generator into the RV you will also need to add a fuel tank.  Some use propane but they use a lot of propane so that isn't the best plan either. I would go with a portable one carried in the truck.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If your camper is not already set up for one/prepped, get a portable.  I use mine for our camper but also use it around the place when I don't feel like running a miles worth of extension cords.

2022 Coachman Leprechaun, traveling around to dark sky areas and chasing the stars.

When we got our new Alfa fiver it had no genny prep. I installed an Onan Marquis Gold 7000 in the front storage bay. It went the same place as where Alfa would have placed it with a caveat. A couple in adjacent RV park  had an Alfa with a factory installation. The guy said "don't do what you see here". I showed him my drawing and he said " you cured the factory screw up". The dumb factory had the genny sitting about an inch below the bottom of the bay door frame. He had to have the Onan repaired and the Onan techs made up words he never heard. They had to lift the genny from underneath and out of the bay.  I had a sheet metal shop fabricate the box for in the bay and got a gas tank from West Marine. They have all sorts of configurations, both in plastic,  metal and gallonage. Placed the remote start near the bath vanity. If you are handy it isn't a bad job. I just didn't want one in the bed of truck for a number of reasons.  Lately, I have seen quite a few Predator and Honda 3500's mounted up on the fiver hitch pin box with either angle or channel steel.  

I would say that if you can get the Onan installed (I'm sure it costs), there are advantages to having that.  Auto-generator start, possibly integrated to your battery monitor is worth it, alone.  (Yes, you'd have to have a battery monitory, but that's just a good idea anyway.)

After our fiasco of having a dealer install all the solar, Victron, Battle Borns that our seller had included when we bought, do NOT use an RV dealer to do the install.  Get a reputable electrician or vendor, preferably one recommended by the equipment providers.

More detail on our situation at:

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio