Essentials List for First Time RV'ers

Mike Diesel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elevated hoses are required in Maricopa County in Arizona, as well as some other counties.  And yes, inspectors for the county do occasionally come through to check.  With so many RV parks spread across the county, they take RV park  health & safety seriously in this area.  Can't fill propane tanks in motorhomes in the park - while in Casa Grande you can.   Different requirements in different counties.  Always pay attention to the rules that parks have that may be specific to the location you are in.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 12/2/2020 at 2:46 PM, Mike Diesel said:

Hi,     I am about to purchase my first RV, its an Aria 36ft Diesel Pusher.  Looking for a comprehensive list of essentials needed for the RV (out of the box so to speak).  For example water hoses, power cords, etc.  Does any one have a tried and true list, lots of information out there on the internet but looking for a list that has been used by other members.   Appreciate any insight, this is for part-time use vs full time.  

A quick update and a couple of additional questions.   We completed our purchase yesterday (YEAH)  and are excited to get out on the road.  Plan on picking up the rig before the new year (getting the punch list worked).   Have compiled quite a list of essential items to purchase (thank you for your feedback) and have been busy purchasing these items.  Would like your feedback on the following.   

1:  Researching Satellite options.  Wanted to see if many of you believe the In-Motion units are worth the extra $$.  Do you use the in-motion feature often while traveling.   

2- Any security tips for when the RV is in storage, this would be over and above the security that comes with the storage facility itself  (locked access, cameras, etc).   Researched security systems and options are very limited due to power constraints and lack of wifi.

9 minutes ago, Mike Diesel said:

A quick update and a couple of additional questions.   We completed our purchase yesterday (YEAH)  and are excited to get out on the road.  Plan on picking up the rig before the new year (getting the punch list worked).   Have compiled quite a list of essential items to purchase (thank you for your feedback) and have been busy purchasing these items.  Would like your feedback on the following.   

1:  Researching Satellite options.  Wanted to see if many of you believe the In-Motion units are worth the extra $$.  Do you use the in-motion feature often while traveling.   

2- Any security tips for when the RV is in storage, this would be over and above the security that comes with the storage facility itself  (locked access, cameras, etc).   Researched security systems and options are very limited due to power constraints and lack of wifi.

My opinion is save your money and get a good antenna for you local news and a good data plan for all the rest of your TV watching. Watching TV while driving is a big no no in my book. 

Best security is having honest neighbors and not keeping anything in storage that you cannot live without. Visiting the location at various times is also a good idea. If someone wants what you have there is really not much you can do about it, especially if you are not there. Locks and security systems are to keep the honest people honest. Someone who makes a living dishonestly will do it no matter what lock or security system you have.  Again just my opinion. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

12 minutes ago, lappir said:

My opinion is save your money and get a good antenna for you local news and a good data plan for all the rest of your TV watching. Watching TV while driving is a big no no in my book. 

Best security is having honest neighbors and not keeping anything in storage that you cannot live without. Visiting the location at various times is also a good idea. If someone wants what you have there is really not much you can do about it, especially if you are not there. Locks and security systems are to keep the honest people honest. Someone who makes a living dishonestly will do it no matter what lock or security system you have.  Again just my opinion. 

Rod

Thanks Rod, in-motion is for co-pilot only (vs the driver), but not sure its worth the extra $$.  Good points on security.

1 hour ago, Mike Diesel said:

1:  Researching Satellite options.  ...  Do you use the in-motion feature often while traveling.

If the TV is located where the driver is able to see it there will be a device to disable it when the RV is in motion so nobody can do so. It depends on where it is located. I can't imagine my wife watching TV while we were traveling, even if she could.

1 hour ago, Mike Diesel said:

2- Any security tips for when the RV is in storage, this would be over and above the security that comes with the storage facility itself  (locked access, cameras, etc).

You may want to look at the locks on your storage bays as many of them share the same standard key and can be opened by any other RV owner. CH751 keyed locks are used on the outside storage compartments of nearly every moderately and low priced RV available in the USA. If that is what you have,  you may want to replace the lock sets on your storage bays. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

If the TV is located where the driver is able to see it there will be a device to disable it when the RV is in motion so nobody can do so. It depends on where it is located. I can't imagine my wife watching TV while we were traveling, even if she could.

You may want to look at the locks on your storage bays as many of them share the same standard key and can be opened by any other RV owner. CH751 keyed locks are used on the outside storage compartments of nearly every moderately and low priced RV available in the USA. If that is what you have,  you may want to replace the lock sets on your storage bays. 

Thanks Kirk,   Good idea on the locks, will have to check that out   I’m sold on no in-motion TV, was just getting others feedback as validation.   Was curious if folks with young kids or grand kids in tow make use of that feature.  

21 minutes ago, Mike Diesel said:

Thanks Kirk,   Good idea on the locks, will have to check that out   I’m sold on no in-motion TV, was just getting others feedback as validation.   Was curious if folks with young kids or grand kids in tow make use of that feature.  

My wife occasionally moves to the bedroom while we're underway and watches her favorite soap opera using DishAnywhere on a Firestick streaming from the second Hopper we leave at our upstate NY family cottage.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have heard of a couple of people who have had travel trailers stolen out of storage facilities this past summer, they both had trusted the cameras and locking gates requiring codes to open.

It  seems like any lock can be defeated, so many I know use multiple things (coupler lock plus locking X-Chocks, plus a wheel lock, things like that). Their thought is that if a thief has to work that hard to defeat the devices, they will look for easier pickings elsewhere. I thought that was an interesting way of dealing with security.

4 minutes ago, Mike Diesel said:

A couple of additional questions..  

Are Wheel Chocks and Stabilizer Pads (like rv snap pads) required for Class A Diesel?  

Yes, you need something to put in front/behind wheels if on a downslope.  With Class As doesn't have to be  much as the weight of the rig deters rolling easily over things.    We have pads that go underneath the jacks.  The Snap Pads, IMHO, aren't all that great because they don't spread the weight over a large enough area - experience is a wonderful teacher, even when the ground 'looks, feels' solid, we put 18x18 pads down.  Sometimes have to 'pry' them up after they have sank into the 'solid' ground. 😉.     You can purchase pads or make your own, and I'm sure a lot of people will list which type they have and why they like them.    BTW, if you are in a place that is very hot, and they use asphalt on the over the parking area, use the pads.   The  only time I don't get down (using our knee pads)  and slide the pads underneath is if we are parking on concrete.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

7 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, you need something to put in front/behind wheels if on a downslope.  With Class As doesn't have to be  much as the weight of the rig deters rolling easily over things.    We have pads that go underneath the jacks.  The Snap Pads, IMHO, aren't all that great because they don't spread the weight over a large enough area - experience is a wonderful teacher, even when the ground 'looks, feels' solid, we put 18x18 pads down.  Sometimes have to 'pry' them up after they have sank into the 'solid' ground. 😉.     You can purchase pads or make your own, and I'm sure a lot of people will list which type they have and why they like them.    BTW, if you are in a place that is very hot, and they use asphalt on the over the parking area, use the pads.   The  only time I don't get down (using our knee pads)  and slide the pads underneath is if we are parking on concrete.  

Thank you for the quick response, did you make pads (if so what material did you use) or what pads did you purchase?

Right now we have a couple of sets of plastic pads.   We've had some others, and considered using the rubber ones out there, but they are more expensive.   We had a friend who used a 2x8 cut to the length needed to go between the jacks and slide that across - he had more room in is basement for storage than we do so could easily slide them into his bays for travel.    

What ever you use, make sure they have a place where you can hook onto them to pull them out as your jacks are going up.   I use an awning hook and turn on the engine, the air bags start filling, and I do a walk around during that time pulling the pads out and checking the area.   We actually put the pads in the rear of the car that we tow (along with the power cords) as those will be the first things we want when we pull in for the night.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

If you make the pads to go under your jacks, you can also add an eyebolt to the side to use when placing them and retrieving them. Since we have a manual awning, I just use the awning rod but you could easily make something to use. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXnLVCPIasJvM6dtA_w

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Back to the original question, i would add the following:

• Flashlights, including at least one headset flashlight.  Extra batteries.
  • First aid kit with variety of bandages and antibiotic creams.
  • Couple of rolls of paper towel, and of course, TP.
  • Rags and dish soap for cleaning.
  • Windex or similar for windows and mirrors.
  • Mop or Swiffer, etc.  and a bucket.
  • Paper plates, cups, etc.  plus plastic silverware.

5 hours ago, Solo18 said:

Back to the original question, i would add the following:

• Flashlights, including at least one headset flashlight.  Extra batteries.
  • First aid kit with variety of bandages and antibiotic creams.
  • Couple of rolls of paper towel, and of course, TP.
  • Rags and dish soap for cleaning.
  • Windex or similar for windows and mirrors.
  • Mop or Swiffer, etc.  and a bucket.
  • Paper plates, cups, etc.  plus plastic silverware.

Thanks Solo18,   Have them all checked off.  

On 12/12/2020 at 4:17 AM, Mike Diesel said:

No, for the reasons stated previously.

If you want to get your rig set up for satellite TV, think about what kind of antenna you want to use.  Dome antennas (like those needed for in-motion) only "see" one satellite at a time.  While they toggle between satellites when you change channels, you cannot watch one program while taping another unless both programs are on the same satellite.  By the same token, if you have two TVs and one of you watches one TV while the other person watches the other TV, unless both programs are on the same satellite, one person is not going to be able to watch their program. So, if taping programs or watching two TVs at the same time is important to you, a dome won't work.

We have a Winegard Trav'ler on the roof of our RV.  It's an open-faced dish just like those you see attached to sticks and bricks.  It sees all three satellites at the same time, so we can tape programs while watching something else with our Hopper 3.  We just push a button, and the dish raises and finds the satellites automatically.  You could also get a similar dish on a tripod and learn to sight in the satellites yourself.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Since we spend a lot of time each summer in the PNW, having unobstructed view of sky from our rooftop isn't always possible.  So for us, we have a tripod and 150' total of cable available.  And yes, we have had it dish out 100' from the rig to find spot where we could get a signal.  Usually the 50' cable works, but not always.    Yes, it take a few minutes to set up after we pull in.  But I'm getting really good at honing in on the signal after all of these years.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Over the years I have cut back more and more on the stuff I once saw as essential.  For example my tools are now down to what fits in a small canvas tool bag.  Even so I do have one heavy cumbersome "essential" that might seem odd.  I have a 100' HD 12 gauge extension cord.  I have only used it a few times but it has been worth lugging around.  I have used when parked in a driveway at a relative's house.  I even used it at Badlands NP.  The day temps were over 100 degrees.  I did not have a reservation and the campground was full but the host was able to give me an overflow spot over 50 feet from a 20 amp outlet.  With the extension cord it was enough to run the AC.

• 1 month later...

I'm an RV dreamer I'm single and I'm 58 years old And yeah I'm a woman and I dream I'm going on the road in an RVI think I would love the there RV life The privacy the freedom free from bills Like utilities and rent I'm just scared to take the big jump because I read so much about people having problems with their RV's and the cost would be too much for me to keep it up I'm on social security disability. I survive but It's not anything I would brag about I have to really budget. But I so want to buy me an RV And go on the road and I can't believe how expensive it is to park in a campground and RV campground unreal!

6 hours ago, Donna58 said:

I'm an RV dreamer I'm single and I'm 58 years old And yeah I'm a woman and I dream I'm going on the road in an RVI think I would love the there RV life The privacy the freedom free from bills Like utilities and rent I'm just scared to take the big jump because I read so much about people having problems with their RV's and the cost would be too much for me to keep it up I'm on social security disability. I survive but It's not anything I would brag about I have to really budget. But I so want to buy me an RV And go on the road and I can't believe how expensive it is to park in a campground and RV campground unreal!

Welcome. Do you know about this site? https://www.cheaprvliving.com It helps you learn how to do this without a huge income. We can help you with some things here but few here know what it's like to live on a tight budget so our advice is not always practical. For instance, I am a fan of Mountain House freeze dried meals for its ease of cooking but at nearly $10 a meal it's not cheap. But, the Dollar Store type places sell canned meats and other foods really cheaply so that's a better recommendation for those on a budget. If you view every thing we say here through your own situational filters and you can still learn a lot from us.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van