Trying to not to annoy anyone here but I need help and LOTS of it!!

Kitty Kat

We are looking to purchase a truck that can be used for both work and play. We were thinking a Freightliner M2 112 but not having much luck finding an affordable one. So I NEED HELP!  Ideally, I would like a package that could accommodate a goose neck and  a regular tow hitch and fold down seat would nice too.  I know I'm not using the right terminology  and it can be annoying for professionals here but please bare with me.  I'm nervous to go to a dealership with NO subject matter expertise and get my lunch handed to me. So in short, what are some alternatives to the M2 112 that could serve me well for work and play? 

Edited by Kitty Kat

Most any "Truck" can have multiple hitches, but it's best to decide which one is primary and what type of situation would require you to use the other. As for "Work and Play", it's hard to  comment on that subject not knowing what type of work it is or if it's being used to commute to work or actually working for the money. 

Not sure what you are saying in the "Fold Down Seat" comment. 

Good luck with your search. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

International makes trucks similar to the M2, at a lower price point. The electric rear seat can be added, if you find an otherwise suitable truck. Hitches are easy to add or modify, so don't let that put you off. Most decks are steel, which is easy to change.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Hello Kitty Kat

I know how you feel about buying a truck whether it is a MDT (medium duty) or HDT (heavy duty) truck.  It is kinda like learning to swim by jumping into the deep end of the pool! I have an M2 106 and i know what you mean about the fold down rear seat, it folds down into a bed that can sleep 2 adults but not comfortably.

I do not know the weight you want to pull but for me i would never consider anything smaller than the M2 to pull my heavy toyhauler trailer.

I also do not know the driver license requirement in your area so something to look into is do you need an air brake endorsement?  I chose my M2 because it had hydraulic brakes so my wife (who does not have the endorsement) can drive it. 

Another thing you need to know about the M2 is that it can be kind of loud and ride a little rough and at "only" 300HP it can work hard on some hills. My M2 also has a fairly long wheelbase so it can be difficult to maneuver into tight spots.

I don't want to stress you out further but something you might look into is buying an HDT.  They may be more daunting at first but there are many advantages to these haulers.   They have more power than the average RVer needs and the sleeper is much better than the back seat of the M2.  The Volvo has a much better turning radius so it is much easier to maneuver in tight spots. There are a few HDTs for sale on this forum and many members that are happy to help with your decision.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Realize that most of the trucks you will see on here are custom setups designed for what the owner wanted. We all have different needs. While some posters will assure you there is a single right way to do everything.

Also, one of the first things you need to look into is how your state treats registration of a larger truck. When you state work and play, it mostly rules out registering as an RV. Also license to drive it. While my state would allow someone to drive my truck with a Class D as long as a “recreational trailer” is attached, my other trailers require a class A. 

Play:

XL3XEeol.jpg

More play:

JaTamRBl.jpg

A bit more play:

CsN1DXMl.jpg

Too much fun:

fkPZXhpl.jpg

Keep in mind that any of the factory 4 door cabs tend to be expensive. It’s not hard to convert a bunk to seating. I have a jack knife sofa in the back that will sit 3-4. It is not the greatest to sleep on, but will suffice for a night.

There is a for sale forum here where you might find some ideas, I would also suggest racing junk.com. As another poster mentioned, you need to figure out your budget. There are folks with $10k trucks, and some with $200k invested.

12 hours ago, Kitty Kat said:

We are looking to purchase a truck that can be used for both work and play. We were thinking a Freightliner M2 112 but not having much luck finding an affordable one. So I NEED HELP!  Ideally, I would like a package that could accommodate a goose neck and  a regular tow hitch and fold down seat would nice too.  I know I'm not using the right terminology  and it can be annoying for professionals here but please bare with me.  I'm nervous to go to a dealership with NO subject matter expertise and get my lunch handed to me. So in short, what are some alternatives to the M2 112 that could serve me well for work and play? 

International has some alternatives (I don't recall the models).

In GMC land their is a 4500 and 5500 series, Ford has the F550 and F650 as well.

We had a few of the GMC 5500 trucks pulling 20k trailers for the business.  They were ok but for us there wasn't a compelling reason to go MDT vs HDT.  A well setup pickup handled our RV as well as a 5500 did but the 5500 was much more uncomfortable as example.

For us, the MDT's didn't have capacities which warranted the cost / uncomfortable factor over a pickup.  So the HDT option became the way to go.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg