New Canadian Covid restrictions just now

NamMedevac 70

9 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Masks/distancing/lockdowns only work if people actually abide by it.  That's the statistic that may be difficult to come by.

No argument there. 

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

If you can show any definitive study that shows masks do what You think they do please let me see a link to it. I ordered PPE for an environmental lab for decades and know what equipment works in different circumstances. And these cheap paper masks do not work for anything but psychological protection.

If you want a mask that really works get something like this:

Half face mask

With the correct particulate filer and get it properly sized (the come in different sizes) with no facial hair. And then you will have -some- real protection.

Edited by agesilaus

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

If you can show any definitive study that shows masks do what You think they do please let me see a link to it.

I doubt that this will change your mind, but here is one example, of many that are available. This one comes from the Mayo Clinic. 

COVID-19: How much protection do face masks offer?

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

LOL that study if it's the one I read, is so bogus it should never have been published. If it's the one I saw they took some foam heads like the ones the used for wigs, poked a hole thru the mouth area, installed a blower blasting thru the hole. Put a mask covered with plastic beads over the hole and turned on the blower.

At a second head 6 feet away they found that 0.5 percent, 5 beads per thousand, made it to the second head.

Now you tell me what that has to do with real world conditions. Might be good for a sixth grade science fair project tho.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

get it properly sized (the come in different sizes) with no facial hair.

Dave's masks are a different size from mine. But, neither is the best. They are just better than none. We both have several masks and we put them in the laundry after use. 

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

i do not have a link to any numbers, but ca is not ONE state. there are the () controlled city's, and then the rest of the state.

in the mega city of what is called la. sure the bug, infection what ever you want to call it, rate is high, even with the masks and closure of many company's. (strange wall mart is not required to close there doors?), look around the world, the rates are high in city's, were people live in each others pockets. not much in the burbs, and far less were people live apart from each other.

the county i live in is right next to san joaquin county.  they have a high rate in stockton, and a high pop of mexacan nationals, and how many illegals? big farm community deal there. so many move around many 100's of miles with out a care, or any medical care. 

this county has none of that, and only less than 30 have been said to have gotten the "bug". and most of them worked in the sf bay area, the others were there friends/family. some here are pod people, but most are not, we just need to live our lives as we see fit.

then there is a flip side of this problem, all the "cleaners" are making some sick, i have lung problems, and yes the cleaners, and perfumes are hurting me, from just bad sneezing to i can not breath. i am in a minority, so the health people can not make money off me, so they do not care.

Re lock downs. Australia has had hard lock downs and we have had 2 covid deaths in 6 months. The UK has had hard lock downs and they are a basket case. It's not a black and white question with a black and white answer. Parts of Australia have had mandatory masks while others haven't had masks at all. No difference in out comes. BUT. And there's always a but. But folks are trying to make this a very simplistic debate. It's not. There are a zillion variables. The last 12 months in Australia have been a real PITA. But folks are still alive. Many folks are happy with being locked up and making politicians responsible for their safety. Others are taking responsibility for their own health and doing the right thing. While other don't give a dam. In Australia there are couple of common factors as to which group you are in. The elderly and left leaning are in the first group. The fit and healthy are in the middle group. The other simply don't give a dam about theirs or anyone else.

Now this is not a political post. I don't intend it to be. But the elimination of covid-19 around the world is nigh on impossible. The vaccine isn't a silver bullet. So sooner or later everyone is going to have to learn to live with another variant of covid. Just like we like with the flu. It's here to stay. How you manage it in this phase is the key.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

OK the ONLY controlled study of mask use, conducted in Denmark with about 5000 participants showed that masks do not prevent virus transmission. The investigators not liking that result then used the anal extraction method to say that it just proved that people need to wear the masks more. This claim made with no data to show that it was correct:

Danish Mask study

<asks fail to filter Covid
Don't use Masks more than 2 days

Not one of the items you posted are a controlled, meaning some participants wears masks and other do not. And that is the only study type that gives you real world data.

13 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Masks have not been advised as protection FROM the virus, they're to protect others from you.  I believe what medical science tells me, not politics. 

Once again so me a Controlled study proving that. The mask issue is ALL politics no science. And anyway why doesn't your mask use protect you, it makes NO sense

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with Canada Border Service Agency Rep and he informed me that the Border is closed and doesn't expect it opening before the end of the year. Travel to Alaska for vacation is not authorized at this time. If your moving to Alaska or going to be employed in AK, you have to provide proof to get approval to travel thru Canada.

Edited by USAFE7Ret.

2020 FR3 34DS, Blue Ox Avail, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo Braking System, Snap Pad, Tire Minder TPMS-i10-10.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, agesilaus said:

Once again so me a Controlled study proving that. The mask issue is ALL politics no science. And anyway why doesn't your mask use protect you, it makes NO sense

C8zIBo3l.jpg

I was/am a Med Lab Technologist. Here is some research pro mask: https://www.bing.com/search?q=covid+mask+testing&FORM=AWRE

If you don't like masks fine, just stay away from me. I get my first COVID shot this Saturday Feb 13. Yes I read your cherry picked test which was completely inconclusive, because of a lack of good mask protocols among the users. DUH? From your mask report link:

"Observational evidence suggests that mask wearing mitigates SARS-CoV-2 transmission, but whether this observed association arises because masks protect uninfected wearers (protective effect) or because transmission is reduced from infected mask wearers (source control) is uncertain. "

According to the CDC it does both depending on the masker's proper wear.

Your source: https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m20-6817

Bottom line for folks who care about themselves and those around them wear a fricking real mask three or four layer or two masks which I am doing now according to CDC guidelines.

If you disagree please read your own links all the way through. I had to for my profession for part of my career, four years as a medic, sterile supply autoclave operator and test strip incubation (Thermophilus) scrub tech, and later three years after cross training into Medical Laboratory Technologist dealing with standard and dangerous organisms in addition to all the disciplines we must know professionally including Hematology, Parasitology, Urinalysis, Bacteriology, Microbiology, infection vectors and detection.

We were most afraid of carrying home a dangerous organism as family members have been infected by Lab techs fatally although rarely. And it would be the fault of PPE improper use or bad glove, gown, or mask protocols.

Safe Travels!

Did I mention to wear a mask?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

Did I mention to wear a mask?

Those who still refuse to believe have locked minds and there is nothing that will change their minds. It is a waste of time and effort to respond to such posts. We would probably be better served if we were to just ignor them and their agendas. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

And what about the locked minds who believe in masks and vaccines which change your RNA?

Equally obstinate on both sides I would think.

Scientist disagree on many things such as climate change, wearing a masks, all types of technology and many other things. You believe the science you choose to believe in.

Now the CDC recommends wearing 2 masks to contain this new variant of the virus, doubling the protection.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Kirk W locked this topic