Covid home test

bruce t

8 hours ago, Chalkie said:

More widely used where? Did doctors quit doing this?

Apparently you aren't one of us doing more thorough hand washing, wearing a mask to protect us and others, and being careful about what we touch.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

Apparently you aren't one of us doing more thorough hand washing, wearing a mask to protect us and others, and being careful about what we touch.

Apparently I missed the non sequitur of doctors scrubbing for surgery and backing into a room to us everyday folk washing our hands. 

Of course I wash my hands, that might have been one of the first things my momma taught me as a child, but I certainly do not wash them like I am prepping for surgery, nor do I need to at least according to the CDC.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

16 minutes ago, noteven said:

So, like, does the team in an operating theatre wear masks to protect themselves from what the patient has got?

First is to prevent post-op infections, second to prevent care team infection from patient.  Currently, since a symptomatic transmission is common place, surgical teams may be wearing respirators of different types.  

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Apparently I missed the non sequitur of doctors scrubbing for surgery and backing into a room to us everyday folk washing our hands. 

Of course I wash my hands, that might have been one of the first things my momma taught me as a child, but I certainly do not wash them like I am prepping for surgery, nor do I need to at least according to the CDC.

we went off on a tangent, I was attempting to show how what people learned during ‘Spanish Flu’ about transmission and mitigation entered into common practiced and into emerging films.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

First is to prevent post-op infections, second to prevent care team infection from patient.  Currently, since a symptomatic transmission is common place, surgical teams may be wearing respirators of different types.  

we went off on a tangent, I was attempting to show how what people learned during ‘Spanish Flu’ about transmission and mitigation entered into common practiced and into emerging films.  

And not just surgical teams. Last September I (well, the DW) called 911 as I could not breath. The EMTs when they arrived as saw the symptoms added layers of protective gear and in the ER the nurse that handling tests, etc. was in full "bubble" gear. Once COVID was ruled out everyone relaxed. It turned out to be pneumonia, a type not covered by the shots which I have had.

If this was discussed here earlier I apologize but it seems that the first well documented instances of "social distancing" and other measures to help prevent the spread of plague occurred some 400+ years ago. This BBC article is an interesting read.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:03 AM, packnrat said:

i never said this "bug" was brought on by the democrats, just they are making $$ off it.  communist china let it lose (by a screw-up, or on purpose? i do not know). but they allowed people they knew had contracted it to return home to there adopted countries, that is how it exploded around the world, as if it had done a "normal" spread it would never had gotten so far so fast. i have always been in favor of better would wide travel controls. but never thought of something like this.

I thought politics is off limits here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just an observation which confuses me! Some say I'm easily confused!!!

We have traveled much of the world. We have lived in the USA for approx 8 years in total. In that time we found Americans to be very polite and considerate. Americans stand in lines and are patient. Other countries it's push, shove and yell. Walk across a car park and Americans stop and let you walk safely. Not in Australia. Running over pedestrians could be considered a sport!! Just joking! Plus many other examples of American lifestyle we admire. Yet why is it that that consideration rubs some folks the wrong way when it can/could mean the difference between life and death? Dramatic? Maybe. Is there something I'm missing? How hard is it to keep your distance, wash your hands and wear a mask on certain occasions? Don't get me wrong. Here in Australia we have had some real dumb a$#s rules. Like wearing a mask when your  are the only one in the car or driving your tractor in the middle of a 1000 hectare field!!! Or shutting down 2 million people because of 1 case. But I still cant get why some Americans simply wont cooperate. And I don't believe in the political conspiracies. It's all about the individual.

Twelve months ago I would have bet that Australians would revolt at the rules. Not now. Australians grumble but do as they are told. (A real mystery). Yet our results have confirmed that a few hard yards gets the results. Can't some folks see that the good of the majority is in their own interest?

I know there's no one solution. I know that each society is different. But something just doesn't add up. The USA has 1400 deaths per million. Australia 35 per million. Is there no alarm at those figures?

I would appreciate some thoughts on why. Without politics please.

25 minutes ago, bruce t said:

I would appreciate some thoughts on why. Without politics please.

I hope this will not be considered politics, but the USA completely cut the cord with mother England unlike Australia which I think leads to a completely different mindset. I could be wrong though. 

i never meant to bring in the dirty world of politics. but sad this "problem" has become a calling for some.

i guess just because i tend to not get "sick" i see things in a different light. sure i have lung problems. and it can get bad just because someone must smoke, yes i have a allergy to the stuff. but one can only see things as there life has been.

i am a hermit by nature, so do not go many places, and i avoid city's "like the plague" --no pun meant--, just a long term saying.

yes if you or a family member gets sick, lock up all at home for a couple weeks. but i do not understand why mom n pop company's must shut down, (some gone for good).  while mega corps like walmart get to stay open. or shut down whole city's.  just one city in the valley has more legal US citizens living in them, than the whole county i live in.

this job i have i get three days for my weekend, and in those days i might see, talk, etc with maybe 10-15 people. during my work days, (nights really) maybe about the same (most in just one day). but three nights i am in the yard goat, trying to stay warm (summer trying to not boil). i am not a health nut, just me.  maybe my insides have just to much acid to harbor many "bugs, germs, virus, ?).  but when i have gotten sick. i am down for at least two-three weeks. months to recover.

as a young man, i never did get sick. did get hit by cars,(sad more than twice), been shot at, fell off a mt once. just not sick.

Packrat, you don't get sick because you aren't around people as you  describe your life.  Contagious diseases require being around someone with the illness.   If you aren't around anyone, you can't get the infectious agent.

The reason so many mom 'n pop places have gone out of business is because MOST are restaurants.  You can not compare a a small restaurant with Walmart.   First, in order to eat, masks come off - it is possible to shop with masks on, and in a big store, to stay several feet away if you go shop at 6:00 am, for example.  2nd, the ventilation in big box stores means air is exchanged and diluted versus a small restaurant with a so-so ventilation system where they maybe change the filter(s) every 6 months.  There are been case studies showing where people set in a restaurant either caught or didn't catch the virus from a positive person based upon the airflow currents.   And if we are talking about a bar - then alcohol leads to people being 'familiar' with one another, which increases transmission of the infectious agent.   

We will soon have 500K deaths.  Had everyone taken the CDC guidelines to wear masks, wash hands, stay 6 ft apart and avoid any inclosed area with lots of people and lack of ventilation, several hundred of thousands of people would not be dead.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We will soon have 500K deaths.  Had everyone taken the CDC guidelines to wear masks, wash hands, stay 6 ft apart and avoid any inclosed area with lots of people and lack of ventilation, several hundred of thousands of people would not be dead.  

Totally agree.  Back in spring of last year we had a short lockdown and things were working.  When lifted many people thought that was cause for celebration. People started socializing again. Masks weren't worn as faithfully. Then came the holidays and people vacationing. Beaches were packed. The political rallies didn't help and there were always spikes afterward in those states.  Then the Sturgis motorcycle rally and South Dakota and the surrounding states blossomed with the virus. Then Thanksgiving, Christmas and people celebrating and flying on airplanes.  Now we're past that rise and cases and deaths are coming down.  Vaccines are becoming available and yet I hear people saying they're not getting them.  Vaccines aren't going to help curb this for the mass population unless we all work together.  Did you see photos of the Super Bowl partying?  No masks?  What do you think will come next?  People will once again become lax and I fear the cases will rise again.  People need to get serious about this.  No one likes this and we're all getting tired of it.  Folks need to stop thinking only about themselves and start caring about others.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel