I got my Pfizer Covid First Dose 13 Feb 21

I waited a week before saying anything definitive, as I wanted to be sure I had no reactions of any kind. I had exactly the same reaction as I get from my annual Flu shot. No pain unless I pressed the area hard to check and it lasted all of a day, no swelling or hot arm where it went in.

I was wondering if anyone else had any reactions. I am doing daily reporting on VSafe: https://vsafe.cdc.gov/

I will post any reactions ( or lack thereof) after my second shot already scheduled for 6 March three weeks from my first one.

I have had to take some vaccinations in the military that rocked a lot of people on their heels with side effects. I never had one then either. So don't go by me. However, everyone I read about and hear about appear to get very little pain or adverse effects from them.

I have no problem with getting a booster shot either.

I will continue to wear a mask anywhere I go in public until the entire pandemic is under control to the extent influenza is under control. We went out to eat maybe once or twice a year before COVID and we will not eat out or attend any indoor gathering regardless of the size.

That is just us. And we are happy.

Since I first became a medic and later as a lab tech, the way to conduct CPR has changed a bunch of times. That does not mean it does not work.

Excerpt:

"The act of change introduces an odd juxtaposition of natural forces: on one hand, our survival depends on mind-changing; on the other, we resist it in favor of consistency and the status quo."

The full article is here:

https://www.behavioralchemy.com/news-1/2019/6/11/changing-our-minds-should-we-or-shouldnt-we

We are all living today with the consequences of decisions we made decades ago, and yesterday. Occam's Razor applies, as does Pascal's Wager, when you are betting on the existence of a virus. <wink>

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swharton, I figured that would be the case with most.

My two boys, their wives and spouse's families and four grandkids on mine and 20 or so on her side have all had their vaccinations and not a one of them/us on the Autism scale. ;)  But those chips Bill Gates put in the vaccines are causing feedback with my VA issued hearing aids. :lol:

(I'd better qualify that Gates reference as tongue in cheek satire. Some folks believe that kind of fear mongering.)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

I waited a week before saying anything definitive, as I wanted to be sure I had no reactions of any kind. I had exactly the same reaction as I get from my annual Flu shot. No pain unless I pressed the area hard to check and it lasted all of a day, no swelling or hot arm where it went in.

I was wondering if anyone else had any reactions. I am doing daily reporting on VSafe: https://vsafe.cdc.gov/

Hi, Derek.   Glad your shot went well.   We've had ours (Moderna), and my wife had side-effects about like you... and I had slight temperature, muscle aches, headache, and bone aches.   Tylenol helped a lot after the 2nd shot!   Like you, we will be observing CDC recommendations for the duration.   Its a feeling of relief... opening the door to better days ahead.   

Take care,

Jim 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Another new coronavirus variant now detected in 13 countries | Live Science

These worrisome new VARIANTS just keep  popping up.  Like others I will be getting my vaccine shot in due time however unlike some others I know that the vaccine will not protect me against all the new VARIANTS that keep popping up.  No wishful thinking here.

Every year I get the flue shot the doctors and nurses TELL me that the flue vaccine does not protect against ALL VARIANTS/STRAINS of the FLUE.  

I do not read replies of certain forum members.  Just skip them and on this one will read no replies.  Cheers

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Yes, new variants will keep being seen as long as the virus is still being passed from person to person.  Viruses do that because EACH person they infect might have something unique that the virus will incorporate into their current RNA strand, and if that new bit of code helps the virus pass more easily, thus more people are infected, making more copies, more getting passed along.   Went enough people are vaccinated, fewer people getting and passing along the virus, means fewer changes, eventually leading to extinction IF we get enough people vaccinated.  

IF more people would be vaccinated for flu each year, the less flu virus there would be  and fewer new variants would be seen.   If we could just get people to realize that next fall, they need to wear their masks when going out during flu season, we could save lives and reduce costs - but I won't hold my breathe that will happen - but I will wear a mask to grocery stores, etc.!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

22 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Hi, Derek.   Glad your shot went well.   We've had ours (Moderna), and my wife had side-effects about like you... and I had slight temperature, muscle aches, headache, and bone aches.   Tylenol helped a lot after the 2nd shot!   Like you, we will be observing CDC recommendations for the duration.   Its a feeling of relief... opening the door to better days ahead.   

Take care,

Jim 

Hey Jim!

I am with you on that feeling of soon reviving that old song from post depression America:

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I have seen very few reports of any "reactions" outside of a sore arm from the first dose.

It is the second dose where most people are having reactions.  I deal with this as part of my job.  I also out of the people I personally know about 50% had minimal to no symptoms on the second dose and the other 50% had moderate to severe reactions.  

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

9 hours ago, NamMedevac 70 said:

Another new coronavirus variant now detected in 13 countries | Live Science

These worrisome new VARIANTS just keep  popping up.  Like others I will be getting my vaccine shot in due time however unlike some others I know that the vaccine will not protect me against all the new VARIANTS that keep popping up.  No wishful thinking here.

Every year I get the flue shot the doctors and nurses TELL me that the flue vaccine does not protect against ALL VARIANTS/STRAINS of the FLUE.  

I do not read replies of certain forum members.  Just skip them and on this one will read no replies.  Cheers

Nam,

You're right about the flu not giving 100% protection every year. The vaccine makers can only put certain strains in. But like the flu shots, the COVID vaccines should help the immune system to react to variants enough to make us less sick anyway. This short article explains how that happens:

Excerpt:

"Benefits of the Vaccine

Regardless of which flu strains cause an epidemic, there are undeniable benefits to receiving the flu vaccine, especially for those with chronic illness, pregnant women, infants, and the elderly. Even if you are infected by a strain of the flu that isn’t covered by this year’s vaccine, studies show that your symptoms may be milder and that you may recover faster. In short, it’s in your best interest to take every recommended precaution to prevent or minimize a flu infection."

Source: https://uabmedicine.org/-/flu-strains-explained-and-how-the-vaccine-works

So even against a different variant, it could mean the difference between serious or fatal infections, or milder non-fatal infections.

We're keeping our heads down and masks on until we know.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I find it interesting that the flu shot is Free, and we will be Forced to take it! 

Edited by homelesshartshorns
Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I find it interesting that the flu shot is Free, and we will be Forced to take it! 

So are you commenting on the flu shot or the covid-19 shot? Where are you that you will be forced to get whichever one you mean? In reality, neither one if actually free but Medicare, Medicaid, and health insurance all pay for them 100%. I live in a community where everyone (both residents and staff) has been offered at least the first shot and there have been a few who did chose to opt out, for various reasons and not one of them was forced in any way to take one. I was told that we have about 5% of our community who chose not to take one. The wife next door has not because of extreme allergic reactions and a male neighbor is waiting for the single shot version from his doctor, by doctor's advice. Yet another I know of just doesn't take vaccines. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Due to Medicare and Insurance I have not had to  pay out of pocket in longer than I can remember. Of course I had the premiums on the medicare and insurance.  Maybe 10 or more years ago I think I paid out of pocket $15. as a matter of convience and did not file for reimbursement.

3 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Did you get the polio vaccination?   Have you gotten tetanus vaccinations?  Are you old enough to have had smallpox vaccinations?

While I think we should make flu vaccinations mandatory, they are not.   We don't allow children to attend school without having a large assortment of vaccinations through out their early years because we can prevent the spread of communicable diseases that caused death as well as other types of injuries.   One of my aunts was deaf in one ear because of the measles she caught as an infant.   

As far as I know, most insurance companies cover flu vaccinations (just like Medicare does) because it makes sense to KEEP PEOPLE HEALTHY.  Much, much cheaper to pay for vaccinations than for treatment of the flu including hospitalization!    And in a lot of states THIS YEAR, flu vaccinations were free for those who didn't have insurance as a way of reducing flu spread at the same time as the Covid spread.   Lo and behold, because of wearing masks, social distancing, and flu vaccinations, FLU CASES ARE DRAMATICALLY DOWN all over the country.   Pediatric cases of flu are almost non-existent!  Vaccinations work!  

Just an aside, we may see some new flu vaccine development coming down the pike along the lines of the work done on Covid-19.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

When I received my covid vaccine they didn't ask about insurance.

Interesting! Our community staff organized to bring in pharmacists from two different sources and they did ask for both our Medicare cards and our supplemental insurance, if we had any. Nobody was charged for the vaccines and the paperwork was only for the first shot. 

When we got our first dose we weren't asked for them, even though we had them out.  Going to get our second doses in an hour and will see whether or not we get asked for them.   Did get ask for drivers license to verify age, and was kidded about which lane to get in for 'out-of-state' plates, but never asked for Medicare card.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

For my shot they didn't even ask for ID.  I just gave them a name and birthdate on the form along with allergies and so on.  It was very well organized and fast.  Waited maybe 2 minutes in line.  I had been hoping and waiting to get this since vaccines were originally discussed and in an instant it was done.  Couldn't have been easier.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

We just did a 2 hour Sunday drive, drove over to Cardinal Stadium (80 miles round trip) and got our 2nd vaccine.  Never asked about Medicare, actually didn't even look at DLs, since we had our vaccine cards and were getting our second shot.  Had a serpentine tour of the huge parking lots as we entered, where they got everyone sorted out, then they did a quick checkin, verifying our reservation number, got us sorted into the correct line and 20 minutes later we had a shot, did our wait time, had our cards filled out and we were on our way!  

Can't say I feel invincible, but it will be nice in 2 weeks to get my hair cut.   And pick out my own produce again!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I thought I provided my Medicare number when I registered online for my appointment, but maybe not.

I got my first shot (Pfizer) Friday at State Farm Stadium.  The serpentine in was interesting, one of the turns seemed a bit tight for my big truck, but probably wasn’t. They only wanted to see my DL to verify age and ID, and didn’t give my Texas plates a second look.

I was a little concerned because I had a strong reaction to the newer Shingles vaccine, but didn’t react to this one at all. My arm was a bit sore the morning after but that’s all.

I stayed in Buckeye for a couple of days (Friday and Saturday) because it was convenient to the stadium. But I’m still not over surgery and traveling has turned out to be much harder than I had expected/hoped for. So I’m going back to Apache Junction for the month of March and will be driving over to State Farm from there, something like 60 miles one way.

I’m guessing that as long as I don’t have an allergic reaction, I should be able to get back before getting any of the more common side effects?

Had a little muscle ache this morning plus sore arm, but an Aleve took care of that.   Agree the serpentine is interesting.  Second dose, they didn’t ask for DL, just the appointment number, logged us in and 20 minutes late4 we drove out. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

10 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

I’m guessing that as long as I don’t have an allergic reaction, I should be able to get back before getting any of the more common side effects?

We had the Moderna vaccine so your experience may be different, but both of us did fine with our second shots but the next day were tired and draggy, but not sick. We just didn't feel very good and both took Tylenol a couple of times and by the next morning were just fine again.