How important is camping lighting to you?

BrooksErickson

When I'm camping the small campfire is the only outdoor lighting at night. I enjoy the night, I learned it many years ago (1940's&50's). Dad and my Uncles coon-hunted and we boy cousins were taken along. I'm old now and my eyes are not as good at night but I still take walks at night and stop frequently to look at the stars and occasionally see comets and shooting stars or the space station. It does require more time for my eyes to adjust to the night now. One night a meteor was so close I could see my surroundings like it was daylight for a few seconds.

Of course those folks raised in the city were not exposed to this experience and likely prefer  bright lights all the time. I understand that and do my best to be tolerant of others.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray what neck of the woods did you coon hunt in?  I got in with a couple of old time hunters when I was a teen in the early 60's an we mostly hunted in some areas in the vicinity of Canton Tx , Ben Wheeler and a few others in that area.  With those guys it was mostly about the race so if the dogs treed and they wanted to continue the race the youngest guys had to go up and try to poke it into moving on.  Of course a lot of times the coon did not want to go easy so then the fun really began.

You know about the little boy that was fighting the coon way up a tree and he hollered to a guy on the ground to  shoot , shoot.   The guy hollered back he couldn't get a clear shot. Then the kid hollered shoot anyway as one of us has to have some relief.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Did you notice? The warm welcome this thread gave to the new member was quite successful as he has not been back.   😏  Sad.

.... not the first time someone making the first post doesn't return.  Our opinion was asked and we gave it.  I don't see what's so sad about it.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

14 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

.... not the first time someone making the first post doesn't return.  Our opinion was asked and we gave it.  I don't see what's so sad about it.

True - Based on the numbers I rounded up a month or two ago the majority of folks who join the forum never post, and the next largest group post only once. I suspect a fair number of folks sign up, post one question, and then never remember to come back to check responses. As they say: Easy come, easy go...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Depending on how your read the replies I could see some as being interpeted as somewhat hostile even they were not meant to be.   Their post was only Wed. so they still might return. Unlike a lot of us some people have a busy life.😀  (that statement could  be interpretated as negative instead of a friendly poke)

I hope they do return.  I sent them  a friendly PM that I hope they get.

The ones that annoy me are the motion activated lights that have a range well beyond the owner's campsite.  I often do night photography of the stars, and often have to "hide" behind my trailer to avoid setting off the neighbor's lights.  I guess if they left them on all night that would be worse...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• 2 months later...

nice camp fire, a couple lanterns, just enough to light up our area.  and everybody has a flashlight (kept off till needed).

but also plenty of quiet dark time to watch the night sky.

need a bright place we go inside. never a stereo on, and this is how we boon-dock.

we try to not be a pain to others.

and expect the same from others.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2021 at 1:12 AM, bigjim said:

Ray what neck of the woods did you coon hunt in?  I got in with a couple of old time hunters when I was a teen in the early 60's an we mostly hunted in some areas in the vicinity of Canton Tx , Ben Wheeler and a few others in that area.  With those guys it was mostly about the race so if the dogs treed and they wanted to continue the race the youngest guys had to go up and try to poke it into moving on.  Of course a lot of times the coon did not want to go easy so then the fun really began.

You know about the little boy that was fighting the coon way up a tree and he hollered to a guy on the ground to  shoot , shoot.   The guy hollered back he couldn't get a clear shot. Then the kid hollered shoot anyway as one of us has to have some relief.

Sorry Jim I missed your post. We coon-hunted in S. Indiana for fur, and the Oblong ILL area for the competition hunts. Dad and I had Walker and Redbone dogs.

Here's my true story from when I was in high school. Dad and I, Dad's brother and my cousin went hunting one night. The dogs caught something in a picked cornfield so they sent us cousins to get the dogs.

When we got there there was a fighting frenzy, I grabbed 2 dogs by the collars my cousin did the same. Then we saw they were fighting a skunk!

Did you ever take a bath in cold water outside in November? We did, then rinsed in tomato juice, then water again. My aunt burned our clothes.

Back to light at night, we had to follow our Dads flashiight back to the house, they wouldn't let us walk with them.

AHH the good ole days.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961