What did you do to your truck today?

jenandjon

Thanks,

Total spent on materials was just over $13,000, cannot buy a replacement in Any kind of relative condition for double that so figure my labor was paid up.  Has a ton of miles, lots of small aches and pains but is paid for, we bought it new in '99.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost Completely Forgot, Was in the process of replacing all four Rear Axle Torque Arms on the KW as the old style rubber bushings were shot.  Six years sitting they had hardened so every use we made of it tore them apart further.  REQUIRES the fifth wheel table to Come OFF, that from the tech at KW that coached me on the swap.  New arms Steel as opposed to OE Aluminum, Bushings Urethane engineered for the articulation of the axles rather than a rubber repeat.  At least all those bolts came out clean and our set up on a AR400 suspension did not have the drilled and tapped third member mounts but thru bolted.  Replaced all the Fifth wheel table bolts as Three Snapped on removal.IMG_2182.thumb.JPG.30eb8a070b7fbdce19b2db2810f94f33.JPG

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.b7c99cd5ab525496b4e22b6b13389b16.JPG

IMG_2188.thumb.JPG.95a651f47f4d7a13b738f8694f88b418.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG.5a493ee78740b0d20c99f3a9daf46a18.JPG

IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.796ee8453eb5765f3dd6c70572eccd71.JPG

Can physically See the damage and self destruction occurring once fully removed.

The New arms by ATRO Mfg St Clair MO

IMG_2168.thumb.JPG.02c0a85925b4c366e3270fe302378589.JPG

Edited by ddm502001

• 3 weeks later...

Did Find that B&W also offers a 25K rated RV Fifth wheel that will install in this type Hitch box that I have installed 

IMG_2215.thumb.JPG.5618d13a9551a5309f583857cb5786ae.JPG

Called a Flatbed Companion, There is a recommendation to add Rotational Stops for that installed.

RVK3050_Companion_Flat_Bed_low_res.png?itok=7EG4GrCo

Edited by ddm502001

While that hitch looks pretty nice, it offers no air ride, so no improvement over just using your commercial hitch.

And for those who are reaching for the keyboard to point out the articulation of the smaller hitch, keep in mind that commercial hitches don't put a "strangle hold" on the pin, and so allow the pin to float and thus articulate.  This is the down fall of the Binkley style hitch, and for the life of me, I don't see why the rv industry insists on using them.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Question: Is an AIR hitch plus a AIR pin box too much dampening? We are currently looking for a air ride hitch to replace the commercial hitch on our new-to-us truck.   But have also been thinking that whatever coach we purchase may already have an air or torsion (Gen Y) pin box.  is that too much floating and dampening?

Thank you,

Tina-Jim

Edited by Tina-Jim
typo

2020 Volvo VNR 640; D11, i-Shift, 3.08 (to be singled)

5 hours ago, Tina-Jim said:

Question: Is an AIR hitch plus a AIR pin box too much dampening? We are currently looking for a air ride hitch to replace the commercial hitch on our new-to-us truck.   But have also been thinking that whatever coach we purchase may already have an air or torsion (Gen Y) pin box.  is that too much floating and dampening?

Thank you,

Tina-Jim

There has been previous discussion about this with an "ET" and the airbag pin box on some of the trailers. Many replaced the "Shock" on the air bag with a length of square tubing. Not exactly sure what it did to the device. I never owned one. 

Try bouncing two balls together and see the reaction vs a single ball against a surface. Can't keep track of both balls unless they are hanging from a thread like that contraption with the steel balls. That's what I'm thinking reading the above post. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I tend to think sorta like looking around things.

How does a truck ride so nice?

If it has inflated tires, air bag suspension, airbags on the cab and air ride seats?

I know I should just go fishing.

:) Greetings

Thanks for the prompt replies.  Two balls bouncing against each other - good mental image.

Yes, the truck has AIR everything; ride, cab and seats. Although I am still learning how to operate the air ride suspension adjustment.

Thinking that this may be one of the conversations I'll trouble folks with at the National HDT Rally.

That and a hundred questions on truck maint...  Argh, so many filters...  ;)

Safe travels,

Tina-Jim

As Vern said above, there are multiple air supported functions on these trucks, and they don't fight each other as has been suggested of the air hitch/pin box combo.  Why?  Perhaps it's because the pressures are different in each system.  I've known folks who run the hitch/pin air systems in combination with no apparent ill effects.

I say, try it, and see.  My money is on the "it'll be fine" side.

And "Tina-Jim", there should be no adjustment needed except for the seats.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I have a Trailer Saver TSLB I put on my truck to tow the Teton.    I had to reinstall my Holland hitch to tow the Kentucky and find that the TSLB just sits on a shelf.   The Teton gets moved so rarely and my flex-air is really soft so the air ride hitch is not needed.   If somebody is interested I would take 600.00 and it is in Hutchinson.    

20180821_175132.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you end up with an air ride pinbox on an air ride hitch, inflating the pinbox to 100% of its air bag capacity would mitigate the cushioning effect of the pinbox, and allow the hitch to function as designed.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I ran a trailer saver air ride hitch with a Curt air ride pin box for several years on our Freightliner. Never was an issue despite all of the experts saying it wouldn't work. The rebound cyclic motion is different between the two bags so you don't get any amplified motion when they work together.

2023 Thor Magnitude XG32

On 8/27/2024 at 2:42 PM, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I ran a trailer saver air ride hitch with a Curt air ride pin box for several years on our Freightliner. Never was an issue despite all of the experts saying it wouldn't work. The rebound cyclic motion is different between the two bags so you don't get any amplified motion when they work together.

That is good to know. When I built my truck in 2018 the general consensus was not to get an air ride pin box because even with the comfort ride they would fight against each other. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 8/25/2024 at 9:48 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

If somebody is interested I would take 600.00 and it is in Hutchinson.

We are interested.  Will you be at the rally in Hutchinson next month?  We could connect then?

Tina-Jim

Edited by Tina-Jim

1 hour ago, noteven said:

I just went ahead and ran everything that holds compressed air on my rig at “max”. Tires, brake system, air bags, hitches, bs detector, …

Trouble maker......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, Tina-Jim said:

We are interested.  Will you be at the rally in Hutchinson next month?  We could connect then?

Tina-Jim

I may stop in over the course of the rally.     This is located at my shop about 4 miles south of the fair grounds.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

In addition to adding the drom I talked about in this thread, I also added some USB power ports to the interior.  I installed four ports on the dash to power my dash cam, TPMS monitor, and GPS digital speedometer (so I can more easily see the MPH on this originally Canadian truck).  The fourth port is open for my wife to charge her phone.  I also added two more ports in the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel to power my phone and iPad.  All of the ports are connected to an Auxiliary dash switch for power.  I also upgraded the hitching camera and monitor to a Voyager camera system.  I mounted the display into the dash cluster above the stereo.  I added camera connections at the back of the truck to connect the existing Voyager trailer cameras on my 5th wheel when hitched up.  The camera system is powered by a second Auxiliary switch in the dash.  Finally, I added my portable XM Satellite Radio receiver.  I mounted the antenna to the driver side mirror and mounted the unit to the dash below the stereo.  It is powered by the third Auxiliary dash switch.  I would have preferred to have all these things powered from keyed circuits so I didn't have to think about turning them on and off when I get in/out of the truck, but the Auxiliary power circuits were readily available and I was in a hurry to get the job done before our first trip last month.

Its a little hard to see in this picture, but you get the idea.

jOdHrUwl.jpeg

2009 Volvo 670 with dinette/workstation sleeper - Walter
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

image.png.eaf8b965647f94e8667dc9daa8ef9a46.png

Spent the morning installing the battery chargers and in the process found out why the inverter wasn't working. 

I've also confirmed my "Shore Power" outlet works and have plugged the battery chargers into an outlet in the sleeper instead of having a multi outlet cord tucked under the truck somewhere. 

They used "Pea Gravel" on the sites here at Harland Lake. It's quite deep and I was sort of worried when I backed in about what was under it, incase I started to spin. I didn't spin and then looked at my neighbors site and see a pretty good layer of "Gravel" under the P stuff. He said the P was put in a couple years ago over the "Road" gravel. Sure was nicer rolling around on the round stuff vs the pointy road gravel. 

Rod

maybe photos later. Still can't get the Photo Posting thing to stop spinning. 

rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 3 weeks later...

In prep for the next major move I tested the "Jost" hitch for tightness with a "King Pin" tester. Seemed tight. I have an occasional sense of something loose or maybe I'm too sensitive after a "High" hitch a  couple months ago. 

I also removed enough fuel from the old truck to fill up the new to me one. Still has enough to get to the nearest diesel station if someone wants to buy it. Price doesn't go down now because it's not full of fuel thought. Best offer will still buy it. 

Put a steering wheel cover on, thought about moving the one from the Gold truck but with the airbags I think it was easier to just put a lace on cover. Prices some in a truck stop in Oklahoma last year and they wanted an arm and a leg for one of the molded ones. O'Riley's was the only parts store that had any covers where I was today. 

Tested using my prior motorcycle sled with the new bike. Might have a loading party at the Rally or I may just still use the loading dock and wait until I really need the the sled for loading. So far I've been able to find a way to load, whether it be using a "Roll back " tow truck, or multiple loading docks. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800