Issues hooking up a Hopper 3

Brand new Winegard Travler on a 2020 Renagade Classic, with a Dish Outdoors account.  Everything works fine using a Vip722 receiver.  Want to upgrade to a Hopper 3 with Sling. Dish customer service referred us to Dish Outdoors, who told us a Hopper 3 would work. So we purchased one from them.  After receiving and hooking it up spent a couple of hours with a Dish customer service rep and was told we needed a DPH 24 switch.  During this call we talked about a DPH42 but I was told the DPH 24 would work.  So got one and installed. Spent a couple of hours again with Dish customer service trying to get it to work and they finally decided that I needed to hook it up to  a "dumb antenna" to get the firmware updated. Spent $50 at a local authorized dealer and got that done.  Hooked it up and spent another couple of hours with a Dish CS rep. This time he decided that he needed to send out a tech and he waived the fee.  The tech arrived and hooked the Hopper up and we still can't get it activated. The tech made a couple of calls and tells us that the Travler won't work at all with any Hopper, that we need to call Wineguard. Called their cs number and got forwarded to the Dish Outdoors cs. They told us we need a DPH42 switch and then it will work.  I am afraid I am going to end up paying over $100 for the DPH24 and still not be able to hook it up.  Is there something else I should know or do after I get a DPH42 to get this to work or would I be wasting more money buying the switch? 

Thanks 

Dave 

cat called Anne May

Lifetime SKP member 93117

2021 Renegade Classic 45' DD13 with a DT12 

The DPH42 should do it.  Winegard uses the "standard" WA DPP 1000.2 LNB and the Hopper requires the "hybrid" DPH LNBs.  The DPH42 makes the signal conversion.  You'll also get a power inserter which comes with the DPH42.

The DPH42 has three coax inputs for the Winegard and one output coax.  There's a good argument to install the DPH42 inside but that requires three cables.  We didn't have the cables available and mounted the DPH42 on the roof where it's been working fine for the past few years.

If you search this forum, you'll find more thorough explanations of the Winegard/Hopper 3 setup.  Zulu in particular has been very helpful and has created several schematics.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

On 3/24/2021 at 9:57 AM, scubadave said:

Want to upgrade to a Hopper 3 with Sling. Dish customer service referred us to Dish Outdoors . . .

Probably the worst DISH CS incident I've heard. Were you taken for a ride.

Here's how to hook up a single Hopper 3 to a Winegard Travler

Here's how to hook up a Hopper 3 and 1 or 2 Joeys

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

We have the Traveler antenna and use a 722 and a 211Z  receiver on the antenna.  I'd love to add the DPH432 switch and a Hopper 3, But we also have to replace the 211Z as it would no longer work.  Additionally, the Hopper will not work with any of the portable automatic antennas which we do occasionally use when we get under trees.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, Al F said:

I have a Trav'ler I bought in 2011, how do I check to see if I have a Dish Pro Plus LNBF?  I was looking at the links above and saw the LNB requirement.    We have always used a VIP-722 DVR. 

A DPP LNBF is standard with a Travler.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I have gotten better help here than talking to Dish CS. Now have a DPH42 switch on the roof with the  To Dish #1 going to port C on the Travler.  To Dish#2 going to port B and  #3 going to port A. The Receiver Satellite #1 port goes through the roof to the entertainment center where it connects to the power inverter port To Switch Input. The To Receiver Satellite In is connected to the Hopper. The Activate Your Receiver screen  won't activate the receiver and contacting Dish CS ended with the can't use the Hopper on an outdoor account message. I must be missing something. 

Dave 

cat called Anne May

Not familiar with Outdoor account so can’t comment on that. 

Did you run the “Test Installation” function?  Path:

- Home button on remote

- Menu tab

- Settings

- Diagnostics

- Dish

- Test Installation

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Tried to get to the test screen but couldn't.  Back with Dish CS and got to the test screen.  CS said needed to reboot the Hopper, did so and unit would not go through the boot up process,  got stuck saying starting up. CS says box is bad and need a new one. After about 6 weeks of dealing with this when she offered to take the Hopper back and refund me the cost I said yes. Will stick with the VIP722 for a while longer. 

cat called Anne May

4 hours ago, scubadave said:

Tried to get to the test screen but couldn't.  Back with Dish CS and got to the test screen.  CS said needed to reboot the Hopper, did so and unit would not go through the boot up process,  got stuck saying starting up. CS says box is bad and need a new one. After about 6 weeks of dealing with this when she offered to take the Hopper back and refund me the cost I said yes. Will stick with the VIP722 for a while longer. 

Dave, i have heard of several with issues converting to the Hopper3, plus portable antennas won't work with the Hopper 3, we have also decided to stay with the VIP 722 for the future as well.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 3 weeks later...

I feel as though I may have made a mistake going with Dish.  To start with, they don’t carry the network that broadcasts my baseball team.  I have to find a way around that.

Secondly, I just spent literally an hour on the phone with customer service setting up my account.  The lady with whom I was speaking with at first was very pleasant, but the last fifteen minutes I was turfed over to some guy in the outdoors division who swore up and down Hopper 3 wouldn’t work with Travl’r and was hellbent on selling me a Wally for the MH.  I need a beer.

4 hours ago, USMCRet said:

I just spent literally an hour on the phone with customer service setting up my account.  The lady with whom I was speaking with at first was very pleasant, but the last fifteen minutes I was turfed over to some guy in the outdoors division who swore up and down Hopper 3 wouldn’t work with Travl’r and was hellbent on selling me a Wally for the MH.  I need a beer.

Never go through DISH. Always find a local sat installer.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

12 hours ago, Zulu said:

Never go through DISH. Always find a local sat installer.

I agree 100%.  Dish customer service does not understand RVs at all.

Ken