Fuel tanks

SuiteSuccess

Am I correct that if I fill just one tank, it will equalize with the other given time?  Also any issues doing this if I don’t want to completely fill both tanks and want to save some time?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

You are correct. It will also overfill the downhill tank, 8f you park on a slope.

Thanks 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It will take time to equalize as the connecting line between the two tanks is not very large. So while you may think you have filled both tanks, you may only be 3/4s full on both when they equalize.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, noteven said:

If you fill at a truck stop with a satellite pump on the other size you fill both tanks on one meter. 

Yes I knew that.  Just sometimes go to Kroger or Walmart and rather than turning truck around to fill other tank just want to fill one or put X gallons in one tank.  For example wife had $.50 per gallon off at Kroger up to 35 gallons so only put 35 gallons in drivers side.  Didn’t want to mess with 17 one side the turning around for 17 on the other side.  😁. Lazy I guess.  Just wanted confirmation of what I thought was true.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yes I knew that.  Just sometimes go to Kroger or Walmart and rather than turning truck around to fill other tank just want to fill one or put X gallons in one tank.  For example wife had $.50 per gallon off at Kroger up to 35 gallons so only put 35 gallons in drivers side.  Didn’t want to mess with 17 one side the turning around for 17 on the other side.  😁. Lazy I guess.  Just wanted confirmation of what I thought was true.

Not lazy, and you could go for a long time never filling the non drivers side tank if you wanted to stop for fuel more often. I would try to use the "20 gallon max" fuel discounts in the truck, but figured out it was much more trouble than what it was really worth. For those who travel every few days or weeks it would be much easier. With my truck it sits for months. I do try to keep it fullish when sitting.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I often fill just one side.  If we're in transit, we often drop the trailer in a c/g and rather than unload the car, just use the truck to go eat, hit the grocery and such. We can usually find fuel away from the highway for WAY cheaper, but at places having only one pump.

A good example is Parkers Crossroads, TN.  About a mile south of I-40 is a station catering to the locals.  Usually about $.60 cheaper there, but difficult to get in hooked up.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

7 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I often fill just one side.  If we're in transit, we often drop the trailer in a c/g and rather than unload the car, just use the truck to go eat, hit the grocery and such. We can usually find fuel away from the highway for WAY cheaper, but at places having only one pump.

A good example is Parkers Crossroads, TN.  About a mile south of I-40 is a station catering to the locals.  Usually about $.60 cheaper there, but difficult to get in hooked up.

Rick apparently you did not know this is a game. You are supposed to fill one side and then see if you can get turned around and back to the pump before the pump shuts off so you don't have to go inside a second time.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

30 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Rick apparently you did not know this is a game. You are supposed to fill one side and then see if you can get turned around and back to the pump before the pump shuts off so you don't have to go inside a second time.

Tried that once.  Got the scars.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

I can fill our passenger side, 150gal, and by knowing how low the drivers side is, I can add about 3-4 gallons a minute and let it transfer over.  I usually do this when someone has honked a horn at me, flashed their lights, rudely telling me that trucks don't belong in "Their Lanes" etc.  I ran 70 gallons into the drivers tank this way once.... Just to prove a point.... I got more time than money.

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

. I got more time than money.

You're lucky.  Some of us have more dollars than sense...........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Depends on where it is, but I sometimes go in and prepay a little over the amount I know it will take and advise the cashier I may have to "Turn Around" to fill the other side. Have had them come out and block the pump while I turned around before, not often, but....

I'd sure like to have more money than brains, but enough brains to know when to stop spend foolishly. Some have "Spouses" for that.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

17 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Gee whiz.... I've played that game before too. It just didn't work for me.