Our rigs and the Million Dollar Pass (Colorado)

trimster

Has anyone done the Million Dollar pass in Colorado with your truck and trailer? I'm 64' total. As I remember, there's a few really tight switchbacks on that road. Last time I did it was on motorcycle (which this road is truly made for).

Thanks

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Well, I don't have a semi, but I have seen large diesel pushers with toads going over it and commercial trucks use it so I would think you could take your rig over. Just prepare yourself mentally for about 25 miles of pure white knuckle where you will not be able to "safely" enjoy the scenery at the same time.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I did it with our setup  two months ago - 29 foot long singled Volvo and 46 foot triple axle trailer.   Had to wait my turn a couple times on switchbacks.  But I was following a commercial guy bigger than me, and encountered an oncoming oversize commercial rig.  Just know that it's a slow ride - most of it was 15-20 mph. 

It wasn't white knuckle - just active driving.  I enjoyed the first couple hours, then was ready to be done cause the day was getting long.  But I grew up in AK, running gravel roads sketchier than this over the mountains.

Edited by aknavy

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I have driven our HDT setup over it a number of times.  It is doable but it is narrow, curvy and requires constant attention to stay in your lane.  It is also beautiful.   My DW hates it!  A year ago I purchased a backhoe near Durango so I pulled a flatbed over in the morning and returned in the evening with the HDT.  Long day on a tough road.  I try to avoid driving it in the dark or especially during the winter.  If you take your HDT use the gears and jake and be patient. There are numerous areas without a guardrail with shear drop offs that add to the excitement. An alternate route through Telluride is an easier drive but a little longer.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Nothing to offer as to your question, but nice tractor! I just got off a company 2016 Volvo VN670 12 speed auto myself. Was living in it full time before retiring. I was pulling reefers in Western 11 mainly. My personal pickup sat for 4.5 years in the company yard, quite an adjustment going back to 4 wheeling after 12+ years of trucking.

Bob,

As suggested above, the drive past Telluride down to Dolores/Cortez is a good bit easier, but a little longer, and absolutely beautiful.  Take that road in the "rig", then do CO550 on the Spyder.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

9 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Bob,

As suggested above, the drive past Telluride down to Dolores/Cortez is a good bit easier, but a little longer, and absolutely beautiful.  Take that road in the "rig", then do CO550 on the Spyder.

Thanks.

We'll be in that area because of a big spyder ride for a week.  40 trikes so far, out of Delta. Last weekend of Sept. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

4 hours ago, trimster said:

Thanks.

We'll be in that area because of a big spyder ride for a week.  40 trikes so far, out of Delta. Last weekend of Sept. 

I'm sure there will be planned rides, and one not to be missed is the CO92/US50 loop.  BEWARE!!!  CO92 follows the Black Canyon of the Gunnison for a good bit with curves and cliffs every bit as dangerous as CO550.  And take the Portal Rd. down into the canyon at the National Park.  First time we went down there, my bride said, "That was fun.  Let's do it again."

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

• 3 weeks later...

just watched a guy on youtube his name is Riding shotgun, truck driver out of grand junction,colorado. took his volvo 780 and 53 foot trailer on million dolar highway a few months ago.Watching video driver side steer tire rode on line making hairpins. very informational

Leon Kirby's wife, Anita, drove it alone in their rig. All the worry is crazy. It can be done, just watch the road and not the scenery. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo