rv step foldout vs fold in

GlennWest

Have you looked at the steps now being put in some new RVs which fold inside of the door before you close it for travel? We tried some at a dealership and they seemed like a big improvement. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A fellow was parked across from us last spring, he forgot to fold the stairs up into his rig before pulling out, the stairs caught on the palm tree at the front on the site and he ended up staying an extra 5 days before they could remove the bent ones so that they could get new door and stairs installed!  Idea is great, but not doing that walk around before moving out proved very, very expensive. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

26 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Have you looked at the steps now being put in some new RVs which fold inside of the door before you close it for travel? We tried some at a dealership and they seemed like a big improvement. 

Yes my thoughts also. Shared a video of mini split install on toyhauler a while back. He changed his out. It impressed me. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 minute ago, Pat & Pete said:

Do they make automatic steps for tow RVs that automatically retract and protrude out for use at the touch of a button or remote ?

Yes but still they rust up. It is moving chore to lube steps. Just seem like fold in better mouse trap

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Well we are mostly in high humidity areas.  I am not saying it a big task. Just after seeing this I just think it is a better system.

Edited by GlennWest

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Well we are mostly in high humidity areas.  I am not saying it a big task. Just after seeing this I just think it is a better system.

Good you found something you like . :) 

We spend about half the year in east / southeast Texas . Some mornings you need a towel after walking outside . LOL 

Goes around , comes around .

Our new RV has two doors. One has the newer type of step that fold up inside the door, while the other has the type of step that we've had on our previous three RV's, completely external. 

To say that we are not fans of the fold-in step would be an understatement. Steps get dirty and they get wet. Why would you want to fold that into your RV when it is time to leave?  We spend too much time brushing off and wiping down the steps when it is time to leave.  Also they are bulky and awkward to deploy for my 5' tall wife. The stated advantage is that they have adjustable feet on the bottom to brace the step on the ground, but honestly we've never found the other style to be problematic. 

I wish that I could change the fold-in steps back into the older style, but the framing of the step area is completely different between the two types. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, mptjelgin said:

Our new RV has two doors. One has the newer type of step that fold up inside the door, while the other has the type of step that we've had on our previous three RV's, completely external. 

To say that we are not fans of the fold-in step would be an understatement. Steps get dirty and they get wet. Why would you want to fold that into your RV when it is time to leave?  We spend too much time brushing off and wiping down the steps when it is time to leave.  Also they are bulky and awkward to deploy for my 5' tall wife. The stated advantage is that they have adjustable feet on the bottom to brace the step on the ground, but honestly we've never found the other style to be problematic. 

I wish that I could change the fold-in steps back into the older style, but the framing of the step area is completely different between the two types. 

When we sit in one place for a few weeks or longer , I have a three step treated wood set of steps that I put down in place of the auto-retracting steps . The wood steps are a bit easier to climb . They 'cover' close to the same height as the auto steps which are a two step affair . When not in use , the wood steps live on the trailer with the bikes and tools . 

I must say that I had not thought of the issues with dirty & wet steps, which could be a serious problem. Our present travel trailer is much closer to the ground than most RVs and because of issues that my wife has with the standard RV step, I use one of the adjustable height platform steps from Amazon.

61aIb8mNMkL._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Do they make automatic steps for tow RVs that automatically retract and protrude out for use at the touch of a button or remote ?

Not to my knowledge, but it would be an easy modification IMO. The only difference would be the yellow wire that goes to the ignition switch is unneeded. Run the wires to the magnetic door switch to open/close them with the door.

This will help decide which model Kwikee step you need for your towable. Kwikee Product Service Training Manual.

Kwikee says to lube their steps monthly. If yours begin acting strangely that is the most common reason-dry joints.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Befor

9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Yes they did but I understand they were troublesome. I had a incident where my wife slipped when there was ice on the top step. I have one of fold-up steps but the remote switches are in the basement and at the leveling panel. I was always going to put a third switch in the control cabinet. If the I want to put the steps in at night I use a small Step ladder to return to the RV and reach to pickup the step ladder.

The trouble I have experienced with the step operation was caused by dirt & grime. I keep a can of dry lubricant to occasionally spray the open worm screw jack mechanism.

Would I get the inside the door steps. Yes

Clay 2016 DRV MS 38PS3 built Oct 2015

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

We know several folks who have the fold-in steps.  Most don't like them because of the dirt/water issue, plus they can damage the door frame when travelling.  That might be because of being out of adjustment, but it was on a brand new rig.

We replaced the old "diving board" steps with a set of Tork-Lift (sp?)  folding aluminum. steps.  Pricey, but worth it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

I am on my second set of wooden steps that I use for my fifth wheel. First set was made with 2x4's for the steps and uprights and precut steps. this set was 3 foot wide.

Second set was made from 2x10's and this time made a hand railing. This set is 4' wide.

Using my battery powered drill with a socket makes set up fast and easy and is stored right beside where they are used in the cargo bay. Because all lay flat they take up little room. When assembled they are very stable and dependable for my wife and I being in our 70's.

For short stays we use the folding metal steps that came with the RV but we hate them and so do our doggies. 

Edited by travelinbob

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

We had the external fold away steps on our TT, and now have the MORryde fold inside door steps on our 5th wheel. The MORryde steps have a helper lift actuator that allows easy tilt in and out. On the internal fold in steps, Yes when dirty or wet it brings that "stuff" inside the RV along with any bugs or spiders. We always sweep them off for the dirt and when wet we place an old towel down on the door threshold to catch the water.

When traveling if you stop over at a rest park or parking lot, the steps protrude out so far that if someone is parked too close to you, you may not be able to get the steps folded out of the door. But it is a more stable platform. Both types of steps have there ups and downs.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Since 2020, Membership -Escapee's, FMCA, Good Sam, Harvest Hosts

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

The fold-in steps also need to have their feet extended to, and solidly on the ground. Ours are not usable without the feet down. So for quick stops or on very uneven ground, that can be an issue.

We recently camped on a really uneven site in New Mexico, and had to use Linx Leveler blocks under the feet of the steps as they wouldn't reach the ground. We didn't need that at the other door with the "conventional" steps. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We have the Moryde steps that we purchased aftermarket. I love the fact that the RV does not rock when wife enters or exits. We have the handrail and like the security it affords with the stability of steps on the ground. As stated there are drawbacks to both types, but i'll clean the floor once in a while for safe sure footing going in and out.

Steve & Marcy Legendre
2015 Landmark Key Largo
2015 Dodge 1TDually

On 11/2/2021 at 8:11 PM, Pat & Pete said:

When we sit in one place for a few weeks or longer , I have a three step treated wood set of steps that I put down in place of the auto-retracting steps .

My late Labrador hated the external foldout steps on the Carriage.  I found plans for a set of wooden steps that was stable, went together without fasteners and came apart into five pieces that lay flat in the PU bed.  I got rid of it when the dog died.  They worked well for the two years that I used them.  Here is a video of the steps in use.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

3 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

My late Labrador hated the external foldout steps on the Carriage.  I found plans for a set of wooden steps that was stable, went together without fasteners and came apart into five pieces that lay flat in the PU bed.  I got rid of it when the dog died.  They worked well for the two years that I used them.  Here is a video of the steps in use.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Definitely another option . Kinda neat if pressed for space .

When we had our trailer built, we did not want the fold in steps due to the water and dirt issue and the space they take up inside in our walkway to the bedroom. We went with the Aluminum TorkLift glowsteps that fold up up but have a adjustable feet to securely land on the ground. For our rear door, we wanted electric RV steps but the space required was more than what was available (motorhome frames are set farther back from the outside than 5th wheel frames) so we went with the standard outside fold up steps in that location. We use that door when we spending the night at a truck stop or rest area where I do not want the steps sticking out as I can just fold them out partially so they don't stick out to far.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I have had both and the four step fold in are better then the old three step fold under type. I currently have a two door fifth wheel and it came with the fold in four type. They are adjustable and I use two of the extra steps that Kirk has pictured above and they sure help. I have never had a problem with them sticking to far but we don't stop at truck stops or Walmart's without full hookups.