Im interested in buying a car out of state!

Hoping someone can give me the skinny so I can understand how the process would go. I'm a Missouri resident with a Missouri car that is broke and Im in Texas! I would like to buy another junker from a private party here in Texas. In Missouri I just need the title with both our names on it and a bill of sale that will last me a month, I think.... My problem is I don't plan to go back to Missouri until next summer.  Any experience or incite would be appreciated.....

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

If this is a controversial topic you can offer information to my email. homelesshartshorns@gmail.com

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

12 minutes ago, jbh said:

You can register it in Texas like I did if you have some sort of Texas address. You need title, bill of sale and Texas inspection. Then eventually you can transfer it all to Missouri.

So I need to appear to be a Texas Resident? 

I'd suggest stopping at or calling a nearby TX DMV office for the accurate information & also call your MO DMV to see how it's to be handled there to register it in MO.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I just looked up Missouri's procedures of buying out-of-state. The first link is what you need to do to begin:

https://dor.mo.gov/forms/5687.pdf

https://dor.mo.gov/motor-vehicle/titling-registration/buying-vehicle.html

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

No, I wasn't a Texas resident. People routinely register vehicles in states they don't reside (domicile) in at their summer homes etc. I was renting a lot at a CG, which gave me a legal Texas address. It wouldn't work at a short-term place such as a state park.

You can of course title and register the vehicle in Missouri while you're in Texas; you'll need to obtain or download and print the appropriate form and mail it, the title etc to Missouri. Missouri may require VIN confirmation by a Texas LEO.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

7 hours ago, jbh said:

No, I wasn't a Texas resident. People routinely register vehicles in states they don't reside (domicile) in at their summer homes etc. I was renting a lot at a CG, which gave me a legal Texas address. It wouldn't work at a short-term place such as a state park.

You can of course title and register the vehicle in Missouri while you're in Texas; you'll need to obtain or download and print the appropriate form and mail it, the title etc to Missouri. Missouri may require VIN confirmation by a Texas LEO.

Good tip, thank you