Meeting people the same age - fulltimers

Hey! My wife [33] and I [35] have been on the road full time since March. The biggest struggle has been meeting people around our age. We mostly boondock and have tried RVillage, but since we’ve been on the road, we’ve only met one couple around our age. RVillage has not helped at all. Any suggestions???

Edited by roxysdopelife

• roxysdopelife changed the title to Meeting people the same age - fulltimers

Congrats on taking the leap! We were 38 and 40 when we started fulltiming, and until Xscapers came along had the same issue. You'll definitely want to check out this segment of Escapees.

Meanwhile enjoy being the young'uns in this community while you can! It goes by quickly ;)

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

The Xscapers subgroup of the Escapees RV Club is the place you want to hang out.  They meet up in various places and are very helpful with any issues you may have - working, traveling, etc.

https://www.escapees.com/community/xscapers/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

When we went full-time in 1997 on retirement from the 27 years USAF active duty at age 45 we had the same problem. Back then there was just Escapees, the Petersons (founders) were at the helm and their daughter Cathy was learning to run the family biz. There were no Xscapers or RV Village.

Our full-time peers were ~65 years old and most of our early RV friends in 1997 when we first went full-time were 20 years our seniors. Our early RV peers who we met in our first year are long gone, and missed. We came off the road to care for parents after seven years and have been part-timers since.

Although you guys are younger than we were the same applies. We were young, able, and interested in doing the hiking, climbing, and were traveling fully retired with no restrictions. We enjoyed crossing into Mexico, traveling through Canada with a shotgun/rifle combo gun to Alaska legally in 1999, and staying on military base's FamCamps (RV Parks) because many active duty and recent retirees closer to  our age stayed at them. So we played guitar around campfires, drank beer, had fun. We traveled and rarely stayed at a place more than a week except for winters when we stayed in Louisiana at an RV full hook up space we made on family property.

You are doing it right in hindsight. At the age many retire and RV, closer to my current age of 69, there are a lot more physical limitations in many folks over 60. And like us you can do what you want assuming you are as healthy as we were/are save my skeletal and knee issues from decades of military life hauling weapons and ammo, scuba diving and snorkeling, skiing, hiking, traveling and then RVing everything west of the Mississippi and from Mexico up to and including a season in Alaska, Apr-5 September 1999.

You will figure out what's best for you as full time RVrs. We got told many times, only half in jest, that we were too young to be retired and to go back to work.

And like us if you find you need to care for family or decide to come off the road, you will be young enough for anything you want to do, anywhere you want to do it.

Enjoy it and welcome to what was/is the good life for many of us.

😎👍🏻

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 10:43 AM, LiveWorkDream said:

Congrats on taking the leap! We were 38 and 40 when we started fulltiming, and until Xscapers came along had the same issue. You'll definitely want to check out this segment of Escapees.

Meanwhile enjoy being the young'uns in this community while you can! It goes by quickly ;)

That's funny because the fastest growing group in the nomad space is females 40-55(which makes sense since that's the age many women are when the kids all move out 🤘) but "fastest growing" is different than "majority" and after decades of nomad life being Broke early 20something stoners and retired couples I guess those extremes are still the majority but I see that is quickly changing as the last few meetups I've been to via the facebook groups I'm in 30's - 50's are greatly increasing I'm guessing do to housing costs and the ability to work remotely is making this lifestyle more appealing to many people who traditionally would not have access. 

7 hours ago, ChileSauceCritic said:

30's - 50's are greatly increasing I'm guessing do to housing costs and the ability to work remotely

Welcome ChiliSauceCritic.

It appears that those two factors are increasing the number of people living in RVs as well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van