National HDT Rally 2024

Steve voracek

Gates #3 and #4 are the best options.#3 is off Main street and 23rd street #4 is on State Fair road accessible at either Main and 25th/Statefair road turning (east) onto Statefair or Plum at 23rd/Statefair road again turning onto (west) Statefair road.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tina-Jim said:

Tina and I intend to arrive before 4PM on the 5th.  Did some one say free pizza?  :)

Looking forward to meeting and learning.

What GATE should we be looking for ?   Is there a specific address or something other than KANSAS STATE FAIR GROUNDS?

Appreciate the responses.

Tina-Jim

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eYsjyPLian2UW7pb7

Not sure is the above link will work, but DO NOT Put Kansas State Fairgrounds or Kansas State Fairgrounds RV Park into your GPS or you will be taken down many very narrow city streets. I've forgotten this every time I attend and always curse myself for not remembering. Thanks Tina-Jim for asking. 

The link uses the I 35 exit in McPherson, KS onto route 61 and takes you to "State Fair Road" that has an entrance  into the RV park. If that entrance happens to be closed then you can go to Main Street to another entrance near a Fire Station. I do not know if the numbers Jester posted are the same ones. 

You can also take 61 down further to 30th St. There is a red area at the intersection of Plum and 30th that hopefully will be cleared by Rally time. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 hours ago, jestersv said:

In the event someone needs directions my cell number is 6187799361.

And if I have my motorcycle unloaded I can ride out and guide you in. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

17 hours ago, lappir said:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eYsjyPLian2UW7pb7

Not sure is the above link will work, but DO NOT Put Kansas State Fairgrounds or Kansas State Fairgrounds RV Park into your GPS or you will be taken down many very narrow city streets. I've forgotten this every time I attend and always curse myself for not remembering. Thanks Tina-Jim for asking. 

The link uses the I 35 exit in McPherson, KS onto route 61 and takes you to "State Fair Road" that has an entrance  into the RV park. If that entrance happens to be closed then you can go to Main Street to another entrance near a Fire Station. I do not know if the numbers Jester posted are the same ones. 

You can also take 61 down further to 30th St. There is a red area at the intersection of Plum and 30th that hopefully will be cleared by Rally time. 

Rod

This! So much, this. We didn't get the heads up, so we did some arbourist work on the local tree-lined streets, with the Jeep in tow. I should have checked the map the night before, like is usually my habit.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That happened to us the first time we attended too. 

I've been burned by gps' too many times.  Worst is our phones, followed closely by my f-150.  The Co-Pilot in the KW seems much better, but still has caused undue grief.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The safest path to the fair grounds from the north/east via 61 is 30th to Main st.    It is a mile or two longer than going down Plum, the right from Plum onto State Fair road is tight for a big rig.   

From the south/west 61/54 go north on Main in South Hutch to Ave A, go east or right to Main street.     Turn left on Main, you will get stuck at just about every signa block but, there are no obstructions.    

These are just my suggestions from a local perspective.     I do have to navigate the town with my truck/trailers, other routes have trees or intersections that are not well suited for large articulated vehicles.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

On 9/21/2024 at 3:25 PM, Tina-Jim said:

What GATE should we be looking for ?   Is there a specific address or something other than KANSAS STATE FAIR GROUNDS?

Directions to the State Fairgrounds Campground.
17th Street is a common reference on Google if you put in Kansas State Fairgrounds to bring you in on Poplar Street to Gate #1. I don't recommend this route its a residential street. Take 17th to either Plum on the east side of the Fairgrounds or Main on the west side. From 17th you will turn north on either one. Once on plum traveling north there is a stop light at State fair Road/23rd street turn west from plum onto State Fair Road you will find Gate #4 on the left (big sign for State Fair Campground) if turning onto main from 17th street turn north there are 2 chances to get into campground one is at 23rd and main at the firehouse turn right on north side of building that is Gate #3 once through gate turn left. If you miss Gate #3 continue up to 25th street/ State Fair Road (stop light) (tight turn take both lanes) turn right onto State Fair Road you'll see Gate #4 on your right. If you're coming in from 30th Street you'll go South on main or Plum. In the attached map 17th is the yellow line, plum is the green line, Main is the red line, poplar is the pink line, and State Fair Road is the blue line. 2 blue dots is the camp ground. If anyone has questions message me or call me.

Taken from the FB page for the rally

Marcel

On 9/19/2024 at 7:47 AM, lappir said:

Anything going on at the Fairgrounds during the week before the rally? Guess I can pull up the State Fair info and check. Will report back if I see anything. 

https://www.kansasstatefair.com/events/non-fair-event 

Didn't find anything major the week before, but there are other events happening during the week of the Rally. Maybe the link will work. 

Rod

No there is this week but its clear for next

On 9/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, rpsinc said:
17th Street is a common reference on Google if you put in Kansas State Fairgrounds to bring you in on Poplar Street to Gate #1. I don't recommend this route its a residential street. Take 17th to either Plum on the east side of the Fairgrounds or Main on the west side. From 17th you will turn north on either one. Once on plum traveling north there is a stop light at State fair Road/23rd street turn west from plum onto State Fair Road you will find Gate #4 on the left (big sign for State Fair Campground) if turning onto main from 17th street turn north there are 2 chances to get into campground one is at 23rd and main at the firehouse turn right on north side of building that is Gate #3 once through gate turn left. If you miss Gate #3 continue up to 25th street/ State Fair Road (stop light) (tight turn take both lanes) turn right onto State Fair Road you'll see Gate #4 on your right. If you're coming in from 30th Street you'll go South on main or Plum. In the attached map 17th is the yellow line, plum is the green line, Main is the red line, poplar is the pink line, and State Fair Road is the blue line. 2 blue dots is the camp ground. If anyone has questions message me or call me.

Only thing missed is my phone number 6187799361. Try gat #4 of the Kansas State Fairgrounds not sure what will come up. I'LL try it today.

Steve

On 9/21/2024 at 3:25 PM, Tina-Jim said:

We arrived yesterday and the gates along Plum were all locked.  Had to go to Poplar & 20th to come in, which I dont prefer with my rig but it works.  Its all good.  There are attendants for the Good Sam Rally that helped us go to an area that was out of their way so that we wouldnt encroach on their activities.  We can all live together in harmony.

Marcel

And did you sing acapella or have a full orchestra? 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 9/23/2024 at 10:23 AM, rpsinc said:

Only thing missed is my phone number 6187799361. Try gat #4 of the Kansas State Fairgrounds not sure what will come up. I'LL try it today.

Steve

From the FB, people have started to arrive in Hutch, some people are bringing special beverages maybe to share and a Good Sam event is in progress. That is all. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Arrived today and so have a few others. See lot's of rigs I've seen before, just wish I could remember names. If anyone can bring a bit of cooler weather I'd try to work out some sort of payment. That sun seems awful hot today. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Anyone like a Farmers Market? 

I Do. 

Tomorrow 1000 to 1300 and then Saturday from 0730 to 1230.

The outdoor market pavilion is located @ 103 W 2nd, Hutchinson KS 67501 in beautiful Downtown Hutchinson.

I need some "Farm Fresh Eggs" and who knows what else. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Made it to the Wednesday edition of the Hutchinson Farmers Market. Not a lot of vendors, but one of them said Saturday's usually were a lot "Better". The tomatoes I got were very good. No Egg vendors found. Haven't tried the Sourdough Bread yet. 

There is a "Car Show" starting Friday and continuing through Saturday. Hutch Fest is also in the downtown area so don't try to use "Main Street" to go South from the Fairgrounds or if you are coming from the South and the voice says "Turn on Main Street", just keep going the direction you are going until it says another street name. I got caught once in the traffic around the car show with the truck and trailer....

I counted 28 rigs so far most with an HDT, Smart or Jeep. At least 1 LGT and an MDT or two are expected. Lots of electric bikes and some Golf carts roaming around. 

There is a loading dock near the Fire Station entrance. I have used it multiple times over the years. I did have to take down a rope this year to use it, but called for permission. There are a good number of "Goat Heads" growing so don't try bare feet and probably not flip flops unless you enjoy pain.  If it rains while I'm here I plan to take a bucket and pull as many as I can right after the rain. Volunteers would not be turned away, but bring some good leather gloves and some pain tolerance.

Rod 

gfv6UpTl.jpeg

2007 Honda GL 1800

The street west of Main, is Washington.     I would suggest going one block further west to Adams going south.   Main will be closed south of 5th street Friday but, from the Fair going south to 17th or 11th is still the best for tall vehicles.    Smart cars, Jeeps or other cars can use Main to 6th or so and turn right to Washington.    The reason I suggest Adams further north is it is all houses with brick roads and stops every other block.   South of 5th the streets are business.      The Farmers market is at 2nd and Washington, my shop is 6 blocks south of the market on the south/east side of Washington.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I will add here, if you are lucky enough to visit with Steve at his shop, you'll enjoy every minute.  He has all the machine tools and toys.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I will add here, if you are lucky enough to visit with Steve at his shop, you'll enjoy every minute.  He has all the machine tools and toys.

I agree, visited the shop and parked my motorcycle in it while we toured the Car Show last year. Lot's of interesting items in there and at the Auto Show. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

It's Sunday and the Rally is in full swing. The park is not full but getting close. Mainly only the line near the street is all that's really open completely. There are a few spots scattered in the other lanes. Have seen( and heard) some "Drone's" flying. Those views will be interesting to see. 

Time to head to the next seminar. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800