Not a recipe, but a question.

lappir

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

This is why I only use Kosher salt in cooking. It has even less sodium, or at least the Morton brand does. I use as little salt as I can while cooking and if a seasoning has monosodium glutamate in it, no salt at all. If, once on the table, food seems to need a "little more" we use one of the Mrs. Dash mixes.

I'll take a look at the kosher salt I have to see what the sodium content is. I've taken the salt shaker off the table and, like you, we use Mrs. Dash in lieu of salt.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

It appears, though, that reducing salt intake a lot can cause thyroid problems so keep an eye on that, please.

Linda

I looked that up and what I found was that there are no direct causation to thyroid issues from low sodium. There are issues with low iodine, however, but we take multivitamins which contain 100% of the daily recommendation.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

13 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I looked that up and what I found was that there are no direct causation to thyroid issues from low sodium. There are issues with low iodine, however, but we take multivitamins which contain 100% of the daily recommendation.

The problem is that most of us get our iodine from iodized salt. So, if you are using specialized salt, like sea salt or pink Himalayan, you might be at risk without realizing it. I don't know if Kosher salt is iodized.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

19 hours ago, sandsys said:

The problem is that most of us get our iodine from iodized salt. So, if you are using specialized salt, like sea salt or pink Himalayan, you might be at risk without realizing it. I don't know if Kosher salt is iodized.

Linda

You're correct that sea salt does not contain iodine (unless it's been added). I checked my Morton's kosher salt and it says it does not supply iodine (and it is somewhat lower in sodium that regular table salt or sea salt...but still pretty high for a low-sodium diet).  

DH is limited to 2000 mg of sodium a day, although the closest he's come to that amount was around 1900 mg (unless, of course, we go out to eat -- which is rarely now -- in which case, all bets are off). The majority of his sodium come from the food he eats, not from added sodium. Our multi vitamin has 100% of the daily value of iodine plus we eat foods that are high in iodine (fish, eggs, etc.), so I don't think he's in any danger of not getting enough iodine.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 hours ago, LindaH said:

Our multi vitamin has 100% of the daily value of iodine plus we eat foods that are high in iodine (fish, eggs, etc.), so I don't think he's in any danger of not getting enough iodine.

That's good to know.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 months later...

Another Not a recipe to share (just yet), but how many do "Cold Brew" coffee? I started it this spring and am not sure if I will go back to Hot Coffee ever. 

When I was working I would drink a whole pot of hot coffee before heading into work. Maybe I'd have a bit more while at work, but usually not. I then started on a diuretic and that sometimes was a bit troublesome for the first few hours so I decided to take some of the coffee into work with me. Bought two big thermos containers and the worked for a bit. 

My daughters friend loves the taste of coffee, but Hot coffee seemed to upset her stomach and she started making a cold brew. I decided to try it too, not that I had any stomach issues. She said the cold brew provided more of a caffeine boost and I can certainly agree with it. One day I thought of having an additional cup and I got a lot more done that day than usual. I now limit myself to no more than two, unless there are pressing needs. 

I don't ever measure anything while cooking and am the same way with this cold brew stuff. I like how it tastes and so does a friend who is the only one I've shared it with so far. Might share it with my daughter and her friend this winter when I get back to their area. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 9/17/2024 at 12:09 PM, lappir said:

Another Not a recipe to share (just yet), but how many do "Cold Brew" coffee?

Well, perhaps it is the "Navy" in me, but the idea of cold coffee makes me shiver. However, my granddaughter will not drink hot coffee and always drinks either canned cold brew or fresh iced coffee. My Keurig has an "over ice" function which I use for iced tea but maybe I will try it for ice coffee and see if my tastes have changed at all.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Well, perhaps it is the "Navy" in me, but the idea of cold coffee makes me shiver. However, my granddaughter will not drink hot coffee and always drinks either canned cold brew or fresh iced coffee. My Keurig has an "over ice" function which I use for iced tea but maybe I will try it for ice coffee and see if my tastes have changed at all.

Cold brew is actually not Hot Coffee poured over Ice. It's brewed either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. I do at least 12 hour at room temp and then up to 3 days in the fridge after. I have done a 24 hour fridge and a 24 hour counter and really don't notice much of a difference. 

I too thought cold coffee was awful, but then I would leave a Travel mug on the counter in the morning when I planned to take it to work, only to find it on the counter when I got home at least 12 hours later. Decided I'd punish myself by drinking it. It actually wasn't all that bad. A lot better than when I'd leave the warmer on under a 1/2 pot and come home to find it that way. Again I'd drink it instead of wasting it. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

22 hours ago, lappir said:

Cold brew is actually not Hot Coffee poured over Ice. It's brewed either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

I would think this would be good method for RVers. Especially those who boondock a lot. Too bad I hate coffee or I would try it. :)

Linda