Results of a tire placement test

trimster

I may be wrong “but” - the front hub of a pickup dooly has a substantial extension sticking outboard that allows for the deep dish all positions wheel to be used.

Are we saying there is no additional leverage applied to the wheel bearing by this offset attachment?  

My experience is in heavy duty trucks and this type of adapter/offset is Not Done.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 8/25/2024 at 7:30 AM, jenandjon said:

I have to strongly disagree. You can run just the outers or duals the bearings don't care. Yes, I too have been around trucks all my life. I have asked a truck builder friend and several mechanics, and they all say it don't matter. 

Spec’ing a KW with 20,000lbs steer axle components: adding 2” offset wheels (2” out or wider track) vs std wheel for the rating reduces the axle to 19,750lbs.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

34 minutes ago, noteven said:

Spec’ing a KW with 20,000lbs steer axle components: adding 2” offset wheels (2” out or wider track) vs std wheel for the rating reduces the axle to 19,750lbs.

Bingo.  The key is reduced axle (bearing) rating.  We automatically do that if we are just pulling a rv, within reason, and remain tandem.  I don't know my weights on our tandem off the top of my head, but I believe all hitched up and loaded, (21k trailer/4.5k pin) we're in the 15k-16k range.

BTW, I would love to sit around a campfire, having real numbers in one hand, and two fingers of Bushmills in the other, hashing this out with you guys.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The Elephant in the room is Side Loading, as all the weight is pressed onto the outboard side when making turns even as to Highway or slow speed travel on Back or City Roads.  Need also look at the Wheels, are TWO specific types of Alcoa Rims, the Web is heavier on Drive or Power Unit in general where trailer rims are thinner for same sizing.  Mispositioning these Trailer style to a power unit as seen in my career will destroy those wheels in short order, single them out makes it worse, single a Driver Style just removes capacity.  Avg steer axle for a Semi is a 12K rate, drives 20K for Tandem, up to 26K for a single driver.  Side loading by an RV does not sound as severe until add Bed Weight, Added Toad Weight On Bed, added Tooling cabinets and toys On Semi Bed deck.  Additionally, Extended Hitch position which removes Steer Axle dispersed weight shifting that to the Drive, then Braking Weight in 'Panic Stops or severe Duty Stopping', weight on rear most of frame stays there and increases, shifts little to steer.

Far more to it than rates or Hitched load.  I am no engineer yet had to be when Loaded a Semi with Product for transport, Fifth Wheels slide not for Convenience but to shift load weight Steer to Drives or vice versa, on or off and from Trailer to Tractor On or Off with Sliding Tandems, secondarily is Necessity of shorter WB for turning in Tighter confines.

I'm sorry its early and I haven't had much coffee yet I just wat to make verify I understand what you are saying.

You are say that the wheels they put on semi trailers are different than what they put on the trucks? 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

8 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I'm sorry its early and I haven't had much coffee yet I just wat to make verify I understand what you are saying.

You are say that the wheels they put on semi trailers are different than what they put on the trucks? 

Most times Yes.  Appear Same HOWEVER, look to the 'Hand Holes' used for ventilation, Compare the Web Thickness trailer to truck, trailer being Pulled and Coasting for the most part around 5/8-3/4 the thickness of Driven wheels where on a Tractor they mount all six to ten Same Style.  Many Steel Wheels on Trailers will be Five Hand Hole, these were not ever recommended for Tractors.  Two Hand hole Budd or Pilot Center center are all same.

It is one caution of Used Trucks at less than reputable yards that will receive Trailer Design Aluminum wheels as are less expensive.

Edited by ddm502001

Ya learn something every day.  Our Mack had two hole steers and 5 hole drives.  Bought that way from Ryder Trucks, but I know they just called their tire guy to come swap them out.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Yep, makes sense. I have seen the 5-hole wheels on trailers. I don't have any on our trailers. But they are all triple axels meant for heavy haul and off road. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to a friend in Heavy Trucking, Alcoa and ACCURIDE both make a somewhat more centered aluminum wheel at 9/9.5" bead Width, would require going to a 315(12") wide rear tire size but not the full 14" width rim and 18" tire Super Singles.  They use these on single wheel Drop Axles where he currently works.  Can be mounted Deeper side In or Out with minimal distance differences just the 'Look'.

Major concern is they are over $450 EACH.

Edited by ddm502001

Oh my.  That's a heap-o-coin.  I wonder it that's what you often see on tandem class "A" motorhome tag and steers?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN