TST tire monitors

jenandjon

On my recent trip I stole the tire monitors off my work truck and put it on my trailer and HDT. I didn't reprogram anything so I had a constant low pressure warning on the drive tires because I only run 80 psi. I also had to scroll past unused tires. Other than that worked great. 

When I got home and switched everything back I noticed marks on the rims where the tire monitors flexed on the rubber valve stems. I don't know if this is something to worry about or not. 

One other funny thing happened. I had the monitor in the trailer charging one night and it started going off. I thought I had a slow leak in a tire. It showed an extremely hight tire temperature. We had been parked for 2 days and the tire in question was in the shade. Just a glitch I guess. I took it off the tire and reinstalled it. Then it went back to normal. 

PXL_20240610_135910437.jpg

PXL_20240610_135654104.jpg

PXL_20240531_003327464.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I don't think you would want to be putting valve stem sensors on rubber valve stems. They are definitely going to move around with the extra weight on them. If you get a chance, you might want to change them out to metal stems. I always use metal stems on anything larger than a car. Jay

I don't know if metal stems are compatible with these wheels. 

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

I was wondering that too. It looks really cramped. All the ones I've worked with passed the stem through the normal wheel opening. I don't think I've ever seen a wheel setup like that. Jay

Had the same Tst monitor with readings like that but tire was fine. If you turn off and back on it was good. Took it to the big tent in quartzite where we bought it the year before and they replaced it. Glitches have been fixed he said. But we upgraded to the color monitor. Works great. No rubber stems. 

TST monitors are only supposed to be used on metal valve stems.  Your lucky you didn’t have a catastrophic failure with one of your stems.

2009 Volvo 670 with dinette/workstation sleeper - Walter
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

image.png.eaf8b965647f94e8667dc9daa8ef9a46.png

6 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

TST monitors are only supposed to be used on metal valve stems.  Your lucky you didn’t have a catastrophic failure with one of your stems.

This is from the TST website: "Note: Cap Sensors are compatible with Metal or Rubber Valve Stems"

On 6/15/2024 at 10:53 AM, jenandjon said:

I have been unable to find all metal valve stems that will fit the rims on my trailer. Have been using high pressure valve stems that have the rubber press in base with a metal stem with the TST cap sensors. We put about 15,000 miles on the trailer each year for the past 6 years. Replace the tires and valve stems every three years. No issues with the valve stems so far.

I 

Edited by trailertraveler

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the company and I received this back. They claim I can use these with rubber or metal valve stems. 

Screenshot_20240628-094440.png

• 2 weeks later...

On the other hand, my brand new Casita had rubber stems on it on which I installed TST monitors.  Within 1,000 miles from new, the stem flexed so much that it rubbed a hole in the rubber and lost tire pressure faster than I could get it off the road driving at 60 mph.

Photo is of the rim after a new tire and metal stem was installed.  You can see where the rubber stem had rubbed against the rim.  I had metal stems installed on the other wheels, which showed signs of similar stem wear.

All rubber stems are not built alike.

stem.jpg