Coming to the USA for six months

Hello all! 
After a recent brain injury I have taken an early retirement and decided to come to the USA for that once-in-a-lifetime RV trip we have all dreamed of. My condition has affected my ability to plan and organise and I find myself having to make lists a lot, so I’m hoping there’s a patient bunch here who can assist me with questions that have probably been answered a million times - but searching and researching is something I now struggle with. 
I’ve been a member of SKP for a whole year and from next week my plan is to fly to Texas and find a suitable RV. 
My first question is to do with buying and registering a vehicle - do I need to purchase the SKP mail redirect service at $205 for the year in order to register a vehicle? And once I land and hire a car I will be in a bit of a hurry to find something suitable to cut down on car hire/hotel costs - so help finding a decent vehicle is my primary concern at the moment! I am just about to renew my membership and look forward to getting on the road at last. 

In order to register and insure an RV in the USA you must and address in the state where the RV is to be registered. Thus, with your plan to come to Texas and buy the RV, the answer to your question is yes. In the USA, all vehicles are registered by the state of legal address and each state has different rules, fees, and procedures. Texas is one of the more RV friendly states. 

31 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

My GUESS is you don’t need the mail forwarding service to buy a car and register it. 

Your guess is wrong as you must have a US address in order to register vehicles here. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Your guess is wrong as you must have a US address in order to register vehicles here. 

I stand corrected.  Went too far out on that limb.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I take it that you know the size vehicle your seeking. Is it a Class A, C, or B. This may effect where you buy insurance. Which part of Texas are flying into?

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

3 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I take it that you know the size vehicle your seeking. Is it a Class A, C, or B. This may effect where you buy insurance. Which part of Texas are flying into?

Clay

I was looking for the smallest size of vehicle with a proper shower. Budget is $15-20k and I would travel to the part of Texas that is nearest to the escapees HQ in Livingston. If anyone fancies finding me examples of something suitable or even links to the top places to look (we mostly have Facebook marketplace here)

i want to spend time finding the right camper but I’m also conscious I’ll be hiring a car and using a hotel during this time so keen to get one sorted ASAP. I will be flying in this Sunday 

A good place to shop for used RVs in the Houston area (near Livingston) would be PPL RVs as they are a consignment dealer with a lot of experience selling to USA visitors from the UK and other places. By a proper shower, I am assuming that you mean that you do not want what we call a wet bath, where the shower is combined with the toilet area. If you go to the PPL website you can do a lot of research on prices and types of motorhome.  With the price range that you have there won't be a lot of choices. As you shop, keep in mind that very few RVs sell of the listed asking price with most accepting 10% t0 20% less than the asking price. 

Edited by Kirk W

Thanks for the links, your RVs are enormous! 
I was hoping to cover some good mileage so I’m after the most economical engine I can find. 
Would you recommend having a local mechanic check something out before buying? I will buy the SKP mail redirect along with my membership tomorrow 

I had thought that you might not realize the size of a typical RV in the USA. Most of the smaller ones are either class B (van conversions) or travel trailers that you would pull. Also in the US most of the smaller RVs have a shower that shares space with the toilet, called a wet bath.

I always recommend that new RV buyer have any used RV checked out by a professional before they commit to buying.  There are inspection services here that are certified to inspect both the RV and the mechanical parts. Those inspections are not inexpensive but to buy without one is very risky, especially since the budget of $20k means you will be buying a well used RV. 

Six months may sound a longtime but by the time you land, find an RV, register and insure, (inspection), buy the bits and pieces. Repairs on a $15-20k RV may be a shock!  How do you pay for the RV? You can only take $10000.00US in cash into the USA. So bank transfers and verification will take another day or two. All time and money for rental cars and hotels. Then you have to think about the end of the six months. Selling may not be so easy. So take a week or three off your six months. 

While buying and selling you have to budget for rental cars and hotels. Is it worth it? For six months I would seriously look at renting. Get the shuttle from the airport. Throw your bags in the RV and hit the road! Anything goes wrong just phone the rental company.

It boils down to why you want to RV in the USA. relaxing and touring or stressing and touring?

Good luck. 

Also, when people are recommending you get an RV inspected before you buy it, keep in mind that there are two different areas to be inspected:  the first is the vehicle itself, in other words, the engine, tires, transmission and other mechanical things.  The second is the motorhome part that you will live in -- water pump and heater, overall plumbing, slides, refrigerator, stove, roof to make sure it is not leaking and has never leaked, window seals, etc.

And generally, each of these will need its own inspector. 

Edited by Solo18