Unique Title and Registration question

I am an Ohio resident that works full time in the oilfield in West Texas. My co-worker (Texas resident) and I are purchasing a travel trailer together in Texas (Dallas area) from someone in a county outside of where he resides in Texas (New Braunfels). 

Is it possible (and what are the steps) to register the trailer if I am the one who makes the purchase and want to include him on the title and registration? Would I purchase it as an out of state resident and then have the title reissued in both our names in Texas? Or just leave it registered and titled in my name on Ohio? Also curious if I would have to physically have the trailer in Ohio to get it titled and registered. The trailer will remain in West Texas and pulling it back to Ohio would not be an option. 

I realize a call to the DMV in Texas would be my first move but it's Friday after hours and need to get some answers before Monday 😁 so I figured someone here might have some insight. 

Edited by Skyscraper610

Most of the time when you register any vehicle the state wants to visibly see and verify the vin# or at least they do in my state.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

in order to title and register the trailer in Ohio you will need to have an address there. You need a TX address to register it here and that would be true for any other state. Putting both names on the title is quite easy as long as both of you are present. To title and register it in Ohio would be more time consuming and require using the mail. You will only be able to put one address on the paperwork but 2 owners should not be a problem, as long as both people are present. If you plan to insure the RV that will need to be done in the same state as the title to be done easily. If you will be financing the price, most lenders require insurance. Registering in Ohio would be far more work and time consuming than to do so in Texas and might require a trip to Ohio for both of you. Since the laws about vehicle registration and licensing are not the same in all states, you would need to contact the Ohio DMV to be sure of what they require. 

One additional point is that whatever state you get the title and registration, you will be required to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the book value of the trailer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI