CA starts diesel motorhome emission tests

Kirk W

Lou Schneider posted this on another forum where he is one of the moderators. In case he doesn't post it here, I will.

In October California will start requiring emission tests for diesel vehicles over 14,000 lbs GVWR under their Clean Truck Check program, including diesel powered motorhomes registered in CA. They're also starting roadside monitoring of vehicles in addition to requiring tests when renewing the registration (similar to what's long been required for gasoline vehicles). An exemption is made for "Historical Vehicles" under CA Vehicle code section 5004 (1980 or older).

Motorhomes registered outside of CA are exempt but out of state trucks over 14,000 lbs GVWR are subject to the roadside monitoring.

Summary here: Overview Fact Sheet-Clean Truck Check | California Air Resources Board

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

Just another good reason to not go there.

I won't disagree but for other reasons than this. like the high price of fuel. This makes clear it only affects motorhomes registered in California therefore no worries if you are registered outside the state.

Motorhomes registered outside of CA are exempt but out of state trucks over 14,000 lbs GVWR are subject to the roadside monitoring.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

This makes clear it only affects motorhomes registered in California

And there are many things that are well worth the efforts and costs to see in CA like the nine national parks, and many other things. With my wife's family mostly living there we have been there enough to know that we would never consider living or domiciling there but that won't keep us from an occasional visit.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

And there are many things that are well worth the efforts and costs to see in CA like the nine national parks, and many other things. With my wife's family mostly living there we have been there enough to know that we would never consider living or domiciling there but that won't keep us from an occasional visit.

I agree, California is a beautiful state. I was fortunate enough to be stationed there in the Navy on three different occasions. During those times we spent many weekends traveling around the state to see things, even places that weren't parks at the time. Not to mention driving the iconic California highways most of the way from north to south. Spending times at family properties in Lodi, Tahoe, and Bear Valley.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg