chevy/gmc 4500

Poohbear

Im looking at a 2006 chevy crew 4500 (very low miles, pre DEF) already setup with a hualer bed & 5er hitch.  Ive had several Dmax's but only in 3500. I understand they are derated and only are programnd to be a 5  speed transmission. The airride seats & suspension is the calling card. Im now pulling a GD397TH that's has a gvwr of 20000 lbs. Pros & cons other than getting old ?

If you are unhappy with how your current truck is pulling your trailer, you won't be much more happy with this "upgrade", depending on the cost. 

If you have the chance to attend one of the HDT Rally's this year you will find out why, or you can try it for yourself. 

I was all ready to pay the big bucks for one of those MDT's, but just happened to find the National Rally was happening. Rode my motorcycle to it, slept a couple nights in a tent and was able to pick up my first HDT for a LOT LESS money than one of the "Sport Chassis" were priced at. Things have changed a bit, but I still think the HDT is the way to go. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Consider the old adage that "there is no substitute for cubic inches".  Well in the modern era motors are measured in Liters.

You are looking at hauling a 20K# trailer with a 6.6L Duramax that in a 4500/5500 could be derated but can be reprogrammed(that generation DMax could be an LBZ which is something I am familiar with as i have one that has been bumped to 500/1000 and is in a CC DRW and is a blast to drive) BUT, its still 6.6L and 6speed auto.  I use a Volvo with a D13(read 13L, so nearly twice the cubes) and a 12 speed auto(read twice the tranny gears) and then with its size provides much more comfort and most of all safety for towing something that size and especially stopping something that size esp when the winds kick up on interstates.

If you can step up to an HDT and you wont be compromising safety.  That Kodiak is a nice deal BUT from my own experience, the ride between that Class 5 truck and a Class 8 is night and day different.  And fuel economy is better in my Volvo hauling my trailer, plus I put a Smart car on the bed and tootel around with that when I get to my destination.  

But you got to make up your own mind, as we all have.

Marcel