Upgrading Phone Question

I'm a Visible customer and want to change phones from a Samsung Galaxy A23 5G to a Google Pixel 8a (or perhaps one of the other Pixel 8 phones). Visible is selling the Pixel 8a with 128gb of memory for $549. However, I can get the same phone with 256gb of memory from Amazon for $559.

In the past, I've purchased a phone from Amazon and simply switched sim cards, but they were the exact same phone as that offered by Visible. Would I run into any problems switching sim cards from a Samsung phone to a Pixel phone and one with more memory than that offered by Visible?  I'd rather have a phone with more memory, but if it's going to cause a problem, I'll buy the one from Visible (or from Amazon...I can get the 128gb phone for $499 there).

Thanks for any info you can give me.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

48 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Both of those phones, according to GSM Arena, accept the same size sim cards. I would just give Visible a call to confirm compatibility. 

Okay. I was trying to avoid contacting Visible, but guess I'll need to.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda,

I may be too late, but if not:

I wanted to do something similar last Nov - moving from a Pixel 4a to a Pixel 8 Pro.  I called Visible and they tried to steer me to using an eSim, which I resisted.  After copying over all my apps and files, I moved my old Visible SIM over to the new phone and powered it up. As instructed, I launched the Visible app, but did not log in.  There was a big activate button.  I pressed it and all was good.

Good luck!

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

1 minute ago, DanZemke said:

Linda,

I may be too late, but if not:

I wanted to do something similar last Nov - moving from a Pixel 4a to a Pixel 8 Pro.  I called Visible and they tried to steer me to using an eSim, which I resisted.  After copying over all my apps and files, I moved my old Visible SIM over to the new phone and powered it up. As instructed, I launched the Visible app, but did not log in.  There was a big activate button.  I pressed it and all was good.

Good luck!

How do you like your Pixel Pro? That's one of the ones I'm considering, but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money.

Did you buy your new phone from Visible or a 3rd-party?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I'm very happy with it.  My favorite improvements are the 5x telephoto lens and the larger screen (easier to use for my fat fingers). 

It is significantly larger, but that hasn't bothered me.  It also doesn't have a audio jack for earphones, but that is easily rectified with a simple, widely available, USB to analog adapter for < $10.

I preordered mine directly from Google which didn't seem to be an issue for Visible.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

On 7/12/2024 at 5:41 PM, DanZemke said:

I'm very happy with it.  My favorite improvements are the 5x telephoto lens and the larger screen (easier to use for my fat fingers). 

It is significantly larger, but that hasn't bothered me.  It also doesn't have a audio jack for earphones, but that is easily rectified with a simple, widely available, USB to analog adapter for < $10.

I preordered mine directly from Google which didn't seem to be an issue for Visible.

While I do occasionally take pictures with my phone, the camera on a phone isn't a high priority for me.  In fact, when I'm looking at the specs of a phone, I don't look at the camera specs, so the 5x telephoto lens wouldn't sway me one way or another.

The thing I do like about the 8 Pro is that it's pretty much the same size as my current phone -- the physical dimensions of the 8 Pro are slightly smaller, but the screen size is slightly larger.  My worry about the 8a is that it's considerably smaller than my current phone and I don't know if I'd be happy with the smaller screen size.  It would be nice to actually hold them in my hand to compare.

I'm not going to do anything until Amazon's Prime Days in a couple of days.  It's doubtful that any of the Pixel 8 phones will be on sale, but thought I'd wait, anyway, just in case.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

23 hours ago, LindaH said:

It would be nice to actually hold them in my hand to compare.

Visit a provider store like T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. the carries these phones. You don't have to let them know you are not going to take their service.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

39 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Visit a provider store like T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. the carries these phones. You don't have to let them know you are not going to take their service.

That's a good idea! Thanks for the suggestion. 

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

28 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

Enquiring minds want to know (what you decided)  🫠

I bought the Pixel 8 Pro that was on sale. It will be delivered today.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

46 minutes ago, LindaH said:

I didn't really think that it would be on sale during Prime days, but I decided to wait "just in case." And, sure enough, it was!

Good for you! Well worth the wait.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 3 weeks later...

Linda,

I went from the Pixel 6 Pro to the Samsung S24 Ultra on sale and hated it. Very different than my Pixel. I returned it and got the Pixel 8 Pro at Best buy for $300 off and love it.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RV_ said:

Linda,

I went from the Pixel 6 Pro to the Samsung S24 Ultra on sale and hated it. Very different than my Pixel. I returned it and got the Pixel 8 Pro at Best buy for $300 off and love it.

I've had Samsung phones in the past and have like them. However, my last Samsung, an A23 5G, I absolutely hated. It was soooo slow, and the keyboard kept doing weird things. Although I'd purchased it less than a year ago, I finally got fed up enough to start looking for a new phone. It was down to the Pixel 8 Pro and the Samsung S24 (don't remember if it was the Ultra or not). The deciding factor was finding the 8 Pro on sale during Prime Days.  

I've been very happy with it. The only problem I've run into is that one of the apps I had on the other phone isn't available in the Google Play Store. 🥺

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Lynn is still using her old Motorola One 5G and is hesitant to switch to my now extra Pixel 6Pro which upgraded to Android 14 like my Pro 8 and will be supported for two more years with full security updates. I like Pixel phones because they will upgrade to new versions of Android longer after the sale than others because they make both the Pixel Phones and Android. Lynn's old phone is running Android 11!

As well Pixel phones upgrade to new Android versions faster because they have no proprietary software like Samsung, Motorola et al have added to their phones. It takes them more time. I remember Samsung taking a year longer than they should have to update my original Galaxy Tab when all the others were done just after release within a month or so. I do have a new Samsung S9 FE Android Tablet to replace my Amazon Fire Max 11 tablet. It won't allow Haystack news despite it being on my Firesticks. I already have it on my Tab S9 FE. This walled garden stuff from Amazon and Apple are just not for me. However with Microsoft forcing me to accept their new Ai and One drive as well making it difficult to evade them I may be Linux and/or Chrome before long. 

We will be seeing Android 15 on our Pixel Phones in the next two monthe or so and I will watch to see how long before my Galaxy Tab S9 takes to go to 15 once it is out.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

20 hours ago, LindaH said:

II've been very happy with it. The only problem I've run into is that one of the apps I had on the other phone isn't available in the Google Play Store. 🥺

Apps do not need to come from the Play Store. If you know where the app came from or is currently you can load the .apk file. Google provides directions on how to do this. 

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Apps do not need to come from the Play Store. If you know where the app came from or is currently you can load the .apk file. Google provides directions on how to do this. 

It came from the play store on my Samsung phone, which I assume is different than Google's play store since the app isn't available there.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

22 hours ago, LindaH said:

It came from the play store on my Samsung phone, which I assume is different than Google's play store since the app isn't available there.

I always tried to find comparable apps in the Google Play Store because I honestly found a lot of the Samsung apps to be somewhat clunky. I would say to log in to Samsung but I just tried that and it does require verification via a code sent to a Samsung device, in my case a Samsung 23+. Might I ask what app you are looking for? 

24 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

I always tried to find comparable apps in the Google Play Store because I honestly found a lot of the Samsung apps to be somewhat clunky. I would say to log in to Samsung but I just tried that and it does require verification via a code sent to a Samsung device, in my case a Samsung 23+. Might I ask what app you are looking for? 

It's called My Food Diary. I've looked for similar apps -- and there are a lot -- but I haven't found anything that is as easy to use as this one. I *can* go to the website where I can do the same thing, but it's not as convenient as using the app.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

It's called My Food Diary. I've looked for similar apps -- and there are a lot -- but I haven't found anything that is as easy to use as this one. I *can* go to the website where I can do the same thing, but it's not as convenient as using the app.

From what I am seeing that app may no longer be available. from Samsung or the Play Store.
Upgraded Mobile Experience!