Stopping the infamous air leak

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

I have a couple of air leaks that I don't seem to be able to stop. I have replaced the O rings and cut the end of the lines square with a tubing cutter. Now this may be a dumb question but since I'm not sure I'll ask it. Would it help the seal if I apply a little dielectric grease to the connection OR would that makes things worse. Inquiring minds would like to know before I do something that will make the leak worse.

Thank you

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

No grease needed.  Have you performed a bubble test to insure you've identified the source of the leak?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

New o-rings would be better than grease.  And if you trim the lines, make a nice clean cut so that the o-ring sits on a fresh area of the line. Making the cut perfectly square isn't important, so long as it's close.  Parker says within 15 degrees is okay.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

After almost 5 years of ownership, I have yet to have all the air leaks stopped! The big ones yes, but both my air gauges leak and you can't replace the o-ring that I can figure out. At $275 a piece, mine will continue to leak a little. Chasing air leaks is a never ending chore it seems.

4 hours ago, mike5511 said:

After almost 5 years of ownership, I have yet to have all the air leaks stopped! The big ones yes, but both my air gauges leak and you can't replace the o-ring that I can figure out. At $275 a piece, mine will continue to leak a little. Chasing air leaks is a never ending chore it seems.

Oh so true!!!!!!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Posted (edited)

I have the leaks down to just a couple and I generally just live with them. The reason I was asking is that I have one on the Trailer Saver and the air bags keep leaking down while traveling. The leak I found is at the governor. I stopped the leaks at the hitch and tracked the line up to the gauge in the dash but I really don't want to open the dash tracking a single leak.

Was hoping you guys had an easy fix.

Edited by Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

3 hours ago, palmeris said:

I know this may be subjective to the individual, but what is generally considered an acceptable amount of air leak down?

Like X psi in Y time period? 

The following is a copy and paste from commercial DOT testing procedures.  Your results may vary...

With a fully-charged air system (typically 125 psi), turn off the engine, release the parking brake, and time the air pressure drop. The loss rate should be less than 2 psi in 1 minute for single vehicles and less than 3 psi in 1 minute for combination vehicles. Then apply 90 psi or more with the brake pedal. After the initial pressure drop, if the air pressure falls more than 3 psi in 1 minute for single vehicles and more than 4 psi for combination vehicles, the air loss rate is too much. Check for air leaks, and repair before driving the vehicle. Otherwise, you could lose your brakes while driving.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

12 hours ago, spindrift said:

The following is a copy and paste from commercial DOT testing procedures.  Your results may vary...

With a fully-charged air system (typically 125 psi), turn off the engine, release the parking brake, and time the air pressure drop. The loss rate should be less than 2 psi in 1 minute for single vehicles and less than 3 psi in 1 minute for combination vehicles. Then apply 90 psi or more with the brake pedal. After the initial pressure drop, if the air pressure falls more than 3 psi in 1 minute for single vehicles and more than 4 psi for combination vehicles, the air loss rate is too much. Check for air leaks, and repair before driving the vehicle. Otherwise, you could lose your brakes while driving.

My gauges aren't detailed enough to detect 1 or 2 pound increments. Who they kidding!?

Just take a beer with you and sit for 10 minutes.😁

All joking aside, 2#/min seems like a pretty big leak.  I would think it would be easy to find.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

More than adequate.  I’m happy if the suspension stays up while I’m sleeping not that I’ve slept in the trailer without disconnecting more than a couple of times.

Anymore than that is just bragging rights around the campfire.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

15 hours ago, Nigel said:

Bingo!!!!!  Of the 6 air system trucks we've owned, none have held air for more than a day or two.  All were bought used, a couple VERY used, but all met the leakdown requirements.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On 7/28/2024 at 8:41 PM, Nigel said:

More than adequate.  I’m happy if the suspension stays up while I’m sleeping not that I’ve slept in the trailer without disconnecting more than a couple of times.

Nigel

LOL 😁