Please someone help me with registration question

I just saw this on the Escapee Facebook page.

Shaun Pope, 57 minutes ago.

Massive relief to get the van title sorted this morning! The ladies at the Polk county tax office are all so good and patient with me being so clueless. Headed up the road for an inspection - $7 and 10 seconds later I get a piece of paper and $919 later I get the van plates. Tags should be with me in three weeks, they couldn’t have made it easier.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Although I'm not a stickler for people reporting back after an issue is resolved, I'm a little peeved that he chose to do it via Facebook.  Were people on FB being as helpful as we were trying to be?  Plus of course once there are a few more posts, his resolution will be swallowed into the black hole of FB, never to be seen again.

And it's not really clear what he did.  He got an inspection for $7 somewhere in Montana.  Was it for the odometer reading, or a substitute for a Texas inspection?  Or both?  What was on the piece of paper he got?  Did he somehow submit that to the Polk County Tax Assessor?

Oh well.  One thing we do know is that the DMV has nothing to do with it, in Texas, anyway. 

On 7/31/2024 at 7:40 AM, Kirk W said:

Over the years, we have moved between states on several occasions and I don't recall ever having returned license plates to the state we previously lived in. It's possible that the new state asked for the old plates and returned them, but it has been long enough for some of those moves that I don't recall. My eldest son moved from WA to TX a couple of years ago and I know that he didn't return his WA plates as they are hanging on the wall of his garage. I recently sold my truck to a TX dealer and he removed my plates and the windshield sticker and gave both to me for disposal. 

If you read the first posts of this thread, OnTheRoad bought from a private owner and received both a bill of sale and the CA title, at the time of purchase on July 2. It seems that he took the documents and drove off to travel without doing anything with those documents and expected that someone else would take care of getting him a new, TX title and license plates and mail them to his Escapee mailbox. 

The last bit about expecting someone else to take care of a new title, that’s how it works back in the Uk. Of course it’s my own fault for not checking how these things work but I was struggling to find an answer as nobody seemed to know! 
In Britain when we sell a vehicle, we fill out the new owner details on the title, mail it off - that’s it. No fees, no taxes to pay. 

15 hours ago, Blues said:

Although I'm not a stickler for people reporting back after an issue is resolved, I'm a little peeved that he chose to do it via Facebook.  Were people on FB being as helpful as we were trying to be?  Plus of course once there are a few more posts, his resolution will be swallowed into the black hole of FB, never to be seen again.

And it's not really clear what he did.  He got an inspection for $7 somewhere in Montana.  Was it for the odometer reading, or a substitute for a Texas inspection?  Or both?  What was on the piece of paper he got?  Did he somehow submit that to the Polk County Tax Assessor?

Oh well.  One thing we do know is that the DMV has nothing to do with it, in Texas, anyway. 

Apologies I’ve been without signal for much of my travels so social media has been limited. 
I eventually drove the few days from Montana down to Livingston as some people who stay at SKP offered to assist me with paperwork. In the end that wasn’t necessary as the ladies at Polk County Tax Office were superb. 
They know the process with SKP registration well. I was in at 8am, filled out some forms and saw some ID and my proof of insurance. They needed an inspection which was a small garage half a mile away. I needn’t have worried, the guy took $7 off me, beeped the horn and sent me on my way! 
Inspection form in hand I headed back to the Polk tax office where the ladies there took $919 off me in cash, then handed me a set of Texas plates and tags! All in all, I was finished by 08:40. 
Apologies again for not updating you all sooner.

I've been told I need to wait a couple of weeks now for my title to arrive at my SKP mail address, and I’ll be able to sell the van. 
I got the ladies at the office a few donuts to thank them as I’m not sure government staff can take tips. 
Van has now covered over 10k miles!

currently in Alabama headed north

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

16 hours ago, OnTheRoad2024 said:

Apologies I’ve been without signal for much of my travels so social media has been limited. 
I eventually drove the few days from Montana down to Livingston as some people who stay at SKP offered to assist me with paperwork. In the end that wasn’t necessary as the ladies at Polk County Tax Office were superb. 
They know the process with SKP registration well. I was in at 8am, filled out some forms and saw some ID and my proof of insurance. They needed an inspection which was a small garage half a mile away. I needn’t have worried, the guy took $7 off me, beeped the horn and sent me on my way! 
Inspection form in hand I headed back to the Polk tax office where the ladies there took $919 off me in cash, then handed me a set of Texas plates and tags! All in all, I was finished by 08:40. 
Apologies again for not updating you all sooner.

I've been told I need to wait a couple of weeks now for my title to arrive at my SKP mail address, and I’ll be able to sell the van. 
I got the ladies at the office a few donuts to thank them as I’m not sure government staff can take tips. 
Van has now covered over 10k miles!

currently in Alabama headed north

IMG_1075.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

NICE ENDING!  Have a good trip!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

And now that I think about it, did the OP call the Polk County Tax Assessor and was told he had to do it in person in Livingston so he drove down there, or did he just drive down there?  I'm still curious about the option to have it done in another county that is "willing and able" to do it and save 500 or more miles of driving, and whether Polk County advises people it's possible (if it is possible).

2 hours ago, Blues said:

And now that I think about it, did the OP call the Polk County Tax Assessor and was told he had to do it in person in Livingston so he drove down there, or did he just drive down there?  I'm still curious about the option to have it done in another county that is "willing and able" to do it and save 500 or more miles of driving, and whether Polk County advises people it's possible (if it is possible).

That's what I suggested at the very beginning of this post.  We did it around ElPaso.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel