Converting bed in cab to additional seating in Peterbilt 579 Ultraloft?

Doug Reed

Let me start with, we are new to the site. I attempted to search for this in the search bar but apparently didn't word it correctly to get any results that I need.  If anyone can help me find the links to others that have completed this conversion I would appreciate it. If you have recommendations on how to search for this, it would be great.

We will be going Full Time 05/25 and I am planning on purchasing an HDT to pull our ToyHauler.  I have looked at our options and I think I have landed on a 2021+ Peterbilt 579.  The issue is that we will have the kids with us on occasion when visiting and traveling with us.  We want to replace the lower bunk with captain's chairs or a jackknife couch with seatbelts, obviously.  

Doug

Welcome to the forum and to the HDT Site. 

Searching can be a pain for sure. I know there are many who have added "Captain" Chairs to their sleeper areas with seat belts and such, but not sure how to find the photos. Another place to look is Facebook and RVH Lifestyles, they have done some conversions I believe. Best of all is to make plans to attend the National HDT Rally in Hutchinson, KS. in October. Lots of stuff to look at and many people who are or have been in your same situation who can show you what they have done or would have done different. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Typed "Photos" into the search area and went through maybe 8 to 10 pages to find this link. 

I think less is more in the search, but it does give you lots of stuff you don't want to go through. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Many have gone before you.  However, those threads were long ago.  But perhaps, some of them were stored in the Resource Guide.  Do a search there, perhaps under the "projects" tab.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The biggest issue you face is the sleeper HVAC, it is under the bunk.    The other thing is what will fit through the doors.     Depending on the seating you use the right front seat may have to come out?     

Due to the cabinets in the sleeper the open area for leg room is limited and the ride is harsher in the back of the sleeper.    It is not a deal breaker but, it may not be a great ride for hours on end?     The drivers position in the cab is about 3 feet from the cab mounts, the back of the sleeper is 3~5 feet further aft, that amplifies the motion of the cab.    Plus you sit on an air ride seat.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Doug,

I went to the Heavy Haulers Resource Guide and couldn't find anything that night be a help to you.  However, I know several folks have done what you're suggesting, one being "Jon and Jen".  Perhaps he'll see this and respond.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

The only thing really in the way of adding seats in the back is the HVAC system. I used the front seats out of early 2000s chevy trucks. They have built in seat belts. I put them in so that they can still slide back and forth. The tan seat in the picture sits in front of the HVAC and the other seats can slide forward so they are all in the row. There is an incredible amount of room behind the seats for storage. I paid 50$ apiece for the seats. I tried to get all matching, but beggars can't be choosers. 

I have heard that some people use sprinter van seats because they can get 5 in a row back there. I have nothing against that, but I think it is a poor choice unless you really need 5 seats. Kids grow. I'm a big guy. Not huge but I'm 6 ft 245. I sat in a sprinter van seat once. Not very comfortable. There are high school kids bigger than me. I would not expect them to sit in that little sprinter van seat on some long trips. 

I used 4x4 tube to block up the seats, so it is comfortable for adults to sit back there. 

Not the best pictures. I dint realize I had oil on my phone when I took them.

I used 1/2 bolts to bolt them through the floor. I made some large washers out of 1/4-inch plate to put on the bottom. They are 3-4 inches across. They are that big because if we were in an accident I don't want the bolts to rip out. 

This is in a 03 freightliner. If I remember in my Peterbilt the HVAC didn't sit back in the corner. I think it was on the driver side under the front of the bunk. That may be a challenge. 

a5E0REal.jpeg

AGMJFVVl.jpeg

SJ3GMbNl.jpeg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.