Truck Upgrade

Chad Heiser

After 12 years of owning a Kenworth, I have made the switch to a Volvo.  I was very happy with my Kenworth T2000 and it served me well over the years.  It was the longest tenured vehicle I have ever owned (by far), but it was finally time for a change.  I sold my Kenworth to another forum member who was very happy to get it.

In place of the Kenworth, I purchased a 2009 Volvo 670 with a dinette sleeper from another forum member.  I have spent the last couple months traveling with it and making it my own.  The Volvo was originally a Greg Shields build from 2013.  Greg converted it with a simple wood slatted flatbed and an ET hitch and some other basics for the first owner in RV service.  The owner I bought it from acquired it in 2020.  I actually went with him to Colorado when he bought it and we drove it home together, so I was very familiar with the truck.  During his ownership, he did some significant upgrades.  These upgrades included adding a custom RV hauler bed with storage boxes and fresh water and waste water tanks built in.  The only reason he chose to sell it was because he found a great deal on a nearly new Kenworth that he couldn't pass up.

Since I acquired the truck, I have added a large drom box and some other miscellaneous items.  I made a drom out of a Knaack Field Station jobsite office.  The Knaack box fit the bed on the Volvo perfectly.  I bought the Knaack box back in February with the idea that I was going to buy the Volvo.  It took a little time for all the dominoes to fall into place to actually get the Volvo, but things worked out eventually.  I had the Knaack box painted to match the Volvo and mounted it myself after having some additional supports welded into the bed framing.  I am very pleased with the final product.  The Knaack box is nearly 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide and almost 4 feet deep.  It provides approximately 120 square feet of additional storage to the truck.

This was a test fit of the Kaack box with the truck facing uphill at a 90 degree angle to the trailer, just to make sure all my measurements were correct.

HMBu2nnl.jpeg

Here is the box after it was painted and properly mounted to the bed.

O5aj0G2l.jpeg

I then had a couple of spare tire mounts custom built to hold the two spares I have for my 5th wheel and mounted them to the sides of the new drom box.

q8SpQzul.jpeg

1yfZJ2Al.jpeg

6XU6yRxl.jpeg

The Knacck box I used as a drom has two main sections.  It has an upper storage area with two fixed shelves that are approximately 1 foot deep and the full width of the box.  The upper section door has a garage door style opening that doubles as a canopy when it is opened.  The lower section has two hinged doors and an adjustable shelf on each side.  I bought the box used off of Facebook Marketplace for a reasonable price.  I have more money into having it painted to match the truck than I do in actually buying it.  I couldn't be more happy with how it fit the truck and the ample storage space it provides.

cQXThlVl.jpeg

Just to give some perspective to the picture, I can't really reach the items on the top shelf without using a folding step stool I carry in the box.  Everything else in the box is easily within reach though.

2009 Volvo 670 with dinette/workstation sleeper - Walter
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

image.png.eaf8b965647f94e8667dc9daa8ef9a46.png

Congratulations. Getting a new toy is always exciting.  09 so that should be pre DEF. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The idea of mounting the spare tires as you did is interesting. That uses basically unused space to give more space elsewhere.

I also see the fire extinguisher in a handy, easily accessible location.

Great job.

Congratulations.  Nice job.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Traitor!!!!!

Seriously, that looks like a very nice truck.  And that box is perfect!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Those Knaak boxes are built! Spent too much time under the front overhang. I've been tempted on a couple Auctions to pull the trigger on 1.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Congratulations. Getting a new toy is always exciting.  09 so that should be pre DEF. 

Yes it is pre-def.  It still has a DPF filter and does regens, but I don't have to deal with DEF.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

1 hour ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Oh that turned out sweet!!

Did you put a re-enforce plate on the inside of the spare tire carrier?

Yes there is an identical flat plate on the inside to spread the load out.  I mounted the carriers so the tire weight actually sits on the deck of the truck and the mounts are just holding them in place.  They are definitely overbuilt for the task.  The week link is the side wall of the Knaack box, but with the interior plate and the fact the weight is on the deck I don't see any issues happening.

event.png    

33 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Those Knaak boxes are built! Spent too much time under the front overhang. I've been tempted on a couple Auctions to pull the trigger on 1.

I had never seen this particular style box before.  It is perfect for a Drom box and offers a lot of storage.  It originally had a slanted deck in the upper section for laying out plans or using a computer.  I removed that slant because I didn't need it and that left me with a flat floor in the upper section for storage.  Another forum member sent me a link to the for sale add for the box because he knew I was interested in adding storage to my Kenworth.  It would have been a little too deep to fit between the cab of the Kenworth and the 5th wheel, but it just so happened it had the perfect dimensions for the Volvo I had my eye on at the time.

event.png    

9 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

The idea of mounting the spare tires as you did is interesting. That uses basically unused space to give more space elsewhere.

I also see the fire extinguisher in a handy, easily accessible location.

Great job.

There was just enough room for the tires alongside the box without interfering with the fueling access.  I was never a fan of the spare tire mount on the trailer and I have had a second spare tire since the day I bought the trailer that had no home.  This definitely makes accessing the spares a lot easier in the event I need them.  Here's hoping I never have to take them off the truck.  😉

The fire extinguisher was an extra I had laying around.  I'm not sure how it will fair being out in the elements, but when the truck isn't in use it lives inside my shop so it shouldn't be too bad.

event.png    

Here's a couple more pictures showing both storage areas of the box.

83mjFvDl.jpeg

dEz0QIll.jpeg

The box came with a 120 volt LED light and a double outlet box with an extension cord connected to it.  The cord can either come out the side or the bottom of the box.  I will eventually tie this into the inverter on the truck (which I plan to upgrade to a Victron system at some point).

event.png    

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

Here's hoping I never have to take them off the truck.  😉

Now Chad, they need to be part of a good tire rotation plan. Don't just let them rot and then when you need them they are way past being usable. 

Rod

Congrats on the Volvo, great color too. 

rl

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

Now Chad, they need to be part of a good tire rotation plan. Don't just let them rot and then when you need them they are way past being usable. 

Rod

Congrats on the Volvo, great color too. 

rl

I understand the idea of that, but unfortunately one of the spare rims is different than all the other rims, so it is dedicated to just being a spare.  I didn’t realize this until this past week when I put all new tires on the trailer and planned to rotate the two spares into the mix.  That’s when I realized the difference in the wheels.

Edited by Chad Heiser

event.png    

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2024 at 2:53 PM, Chad Heiser said:

The week link is the side wall of the Knaack box, but with the interior plate and the fact the weight is on the deck I don't see any issues happening.

You can always add a backer plate on the inside to stiften the wall a bit.

Congrats on joining the club.  I also have DPF on mine, no DEF.  

Marcel