Pulled parts: What to do with them?

Tina-Jim

Is there a market for pulled HDT parts? For example, the commercial fifth wheel plate?  When we pull that to put on our RV fifth wheel, where should the pulled commercial plate be listed?

If we have the unit singled, is there a market for the pulled first axle?  Should I keep the air bags from the pulled axle for spares?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tina-Jim

2020 Volvo VNR 640; D11, i-Shift, 3.08 (to be singled)

Often your local craigslist is a good place, in the heavy equipment section.

I would'nt keep used air bags, but that's my opinion. If you are going to take the time to replace bad bags, that time is better spend installing new bags so you don't have to do it again real soon. They're inexpensive. But if you had plenty storage space doing nothing, I suppose one bag to get you by if you are out in the woods somewhere.

Most power divider axles are worth a fair bit. But the majority want the drop in or gear head, not the whole thing. If you are mechanically inclined, remove the gear head so it can be inspected, but put in the ad that the whole axle must be taken. The remainder can have some value, but being able to visibly inspect the gear head will sell it faster and for more money.

List it with a picture of the ID tag and state in text the year model and gear ratio.

If you can't, or choose not to remove it for inspection, and just want it gone, just state the year and ratio and say best cash offer.

IMO

I'm a work'n on it.

I watch auctions constantly. It's weird hobby of mine. I have seen the 5th wheel sell for anywhere from $1 to $500. That rearend should be worth a couple hundred. Thats a tough market because you are selling only one. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2024 at 8:07 AM, jenandjon said:

I watch auctions constantly. It's weird hobby of mine. I have seen the 5th wheel sell for anywhere from $1 to $500. That rearend should be worth a couple hundred. Thats a tough market because you are selling only one. 

what about if you sell the pair?

2021 DRV Fullhouse MX450

2022 Volvo VNL860

5 hours ago, Larry and Robin said:

Excellent question.  When you single by removing the front drive axle, you create issues with the oddball u-joint sizing, plus you now have the stand alone rear axle which was never designed for the torque loads being delivered.  It was intended to share that responsibility with the now departed axle.

So, best solution is to either buy a "factory single" truck, or remove the tandem pair and replace with an axle intended for the job.  A decent truck recycling yard might be your friend.  A side benefit of swapping axles is being able to choose a ratio suited to your needs, and maybe even snagging one with a locking differential.

Or, if you don't need the additional storage area created by loosing an axle, just remain tandem.  We've done that on both our trucks with no regrets.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

11 hours ago, Larry and Robin said:

Local yard gets $3500-4500 for a full frame cut-off, with no rims or brake drums. You won't get much for your loose axles as an individual selling a very small product volume.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just sitting on the side lines, but I am curious?

The difference between torque loads. And weight rating?

So I think, which some times is, puts me on the other side of thoughts?

Do you need to have both axles engaged to handle the torque of our engines?

If so, I have been wrong ,,,,, for a very longggg time!

This space left blank for thinking!

But curious !?

Vern, you crack me up.

I'm no engineer, and I rarely sleep in motels, but as I understand it, the power divider built into the front axle is a differential which passes the power equally to both axles, so that each axle only sees half the input torque

So, the weight rating has nothing to do with torque rating.  Look at any factory singled truck with an engine similar to ours.  It will have what's usually referred to as a 23k axle.  A smaller truck will likely have a 19k axle, and a similarly smaller motor.

I know at least one member of this forum who has truck of Canadian origin, rated for 140,000# before it was singled.  He believes his single axle is adequate to pull his trailer.  But, he has a motor rated at 600 hp, with lots of torque.  He's had to have the rear axle repaired at least once so far.

And yet, the outfits who make a lot of money converting these trucks to rv duty continue to take shortcuts which may bite the customer in the future.  Buyer beware.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 9/12/2024 at 10:28 AM, Larry and Robin said:

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. About 5 grand for the pair the last time I had to get a cut off. The prices are all over the place right now. Things are selling cheap.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

My commercial 5th wheel and power divider axle both went to the scrapper.  

They had (have?) zero value in 2017 when I was building.

The chassis shop that did the work bought the 4 tires and wheels off me, $200 each, offset against their bill to me.

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

The place I bought my truck from does lots of box installs for grain and beats. 
And conversions to tri axles.   So when I made the deal on my truck they kept the front drive axle.   Even better was the fact they needed the axle right away and removed it free of charge. And made me a new driveline. 
They gave me 5K for the axle. 
You just need to find the right shop as these guys are always needing axles for conversions. 

Power divider lock, to lock the front axle to the rear.  With that engaged, power goes to both axles even if one has less traction.  Not to be confused with "differential lock".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Inter Axle Differential, All power so long as tires Same Diameter goes to all four wheel sets, lose traction on One set and the entire torque load goes there, IAD Locked and both Drive Shafts become One, so Two Wheel Sets One on Each Axle Housing can lose traction and still will not move sending all torque to the slipping wheels.  Mismatch Tires height or sizing and the general power goes to the Shortest Set, the remaining three get some but the shortest will slip first.  Run with it locked too long on Dry even pavement and mismatched tires not only will tires wear funny but front diff will run Hot until cooks off and side gears in IAD fail.

Edited by ddm502001

On 9/13/2024 at 2:23 PM, jenandjon said:

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. About 5 grand for the pair the last time I had to get a cut off. The prices are all over the place right now. Things are selling cheap.

5 grand will get you a rolling Yellow tractor at Ritchie Bros. right now.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.