best app for maps for RV

Hi, I am wondering what the best app for maps for an RV is. I have google maps on my device and the Maps that comes with the device, but they don't let me know if there is a tunnel, or roads that don't suit an RV, and sometimes they tell me to do a uturn - something we can't do in our RV, or other information I need to know for traveling in an RV.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I think I would just get an app for my phone. We've travelled a few times mostly on interstates and other main highways in the US, and google maps has been fine. But we are going to go on a Route 66 trip and I worry there will be places that would be better for an RV not to venture. And since I would only need the app for a few weeks to a month, I don't think I would invest in an RV gps unit

Thank you :)

56 minutes ago, Nanny&Timbo said:

I think I would just get an app for my phone. We've travelled a few times mostly on interstates and other main highways in the US, and google maps has been fine. But we are going to go on a Route 66 trip and I worry there will be places that would be better for an RV not to venture. And since I would only need the app for a few weeks to a month, I don't think I would invest in an RV gps unit

Thank you :)

What size RV will you be driving? We did Historic Route 66 in a 24-foot motorhome with no problem. That was in the autumn of 2008 but I doubt much has changed in terms of accessibility. Unfortunately the computer ate the very beginning our our trip but, if you'd like, you can pick it up on my blog on day 7 here:

https://sandcastle.sandsys.org/2008/10/day-7-route-66/

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I would agree that old highway 66 won't have any problems. We have been over much of what remains of the old highway and can think of no significant problems. I suggest three websites for you to visit while you are planning.

Travel Guide to Historic Route 66: The Mother Road

Route 66 Overview

The Ultimate Route 66 Road Trip

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

I use RV Trip Wizard, both the computer and app version to plan my trips. Can enter in the size and height of our rig. 

https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/

I doubt I would find it worth the $65 per year cost. Lots of other options out there. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

17 hours ago, lappir said:

I doubt I would find it worth the $65 per year cost. Lots of other options out there. 

Rod

The original poster was looking for ideas about RV travel and planning apps. Why keep it a secret about these other options of which you are aware? 

3 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

The original poster was looking for ideas about RV travel and planning apps. Why keep it a secret about these other options of which you are aware? 

No secrets here, maybe some don't know about Google Maps, Waze (also google)and the maps on an iPhone. I use them all with no additional charge. I think many of the others have been mentioned in previous posts. I wish Garman and Rand McNally would provide a one time purchase device that would last longer than the ones I've previously owned, but sadly I don't think they have. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

54 minutes ago, lappir said:

maybe some don't know about Google Maps,

The OP said he has Google maps but is looking for something that warns of things like tunnels and bridges.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 9/6/2024 at 3:57 PM, sandsys said:

The OP said he has Google maps but is looking for something that warns of things like tunnels and bridges.

Linda

That what I like about Copilot. It does. And works on my large tablet

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 9/6/2024 at 1:09 AM, sheldons65 said:

I use RV Trip Wizard, both the computer and app version to plan my trips. Can enter in the size and height of our rig. 

• RV Life - RV GPS & Campgrounds:

• Provides RV-safe routes, taking into account height, weight, and length restrictions.
    • Includes campground directories, user reviews, and trip planning features.
  • CoPilot GPS:

• Offers RV-specific routing based on vehicle size and weight.
    • Works offline, which is great for remote areas.
    • Includes turn-by-turn navigation and live traffic updates.
  • Roadtrippers:

• Great for planning RV trips, with points of interest (POIs), campgrounds, attractions, and RV parks along the route.
    • Helps discover unique stops on road trips.
    • Provides estimated fuel costs and travel times.
  • Google Maps (with caution):

• While not RV-specific, it’s still a powerful tool for general navigation.
    • Should be used in combination with an RV-specific app, especially for route safety regarding low bridges or narrow roads.
  • Gaia GPS:

• Ideal for off-grid and remote RVers.
    • Provides detailed topographic maps for backcountry areas.
    • Great for finding boondocking spots or dispersed camping.
  • AllStays Camp & RV:

• Features RV-safe routes, dump stations, campgrounds, rest stops, and low-clearance alerts.
    • A reliable resource for planning and navigating on the road.

---------------------

By Regards

Team Of Nulls Brawl