Escapees mail address change

19 hours ago, ms60ocb said:
On 9/13/2024 at 7:35 AM, jfuchs said:
On 9/13/2024 at 7:22 AM, ms60ocb said:

No easy solution, but I have an more expensive alternate and less desirable, Travis county.

Could you please explain what you mean by "Travis County"?   
Could you provide details about this more expensive alternative? 

Travis county in Texas with the county seat being Austin. Population over 1.3 Million

If did get a room with my daughter's big house (Travis county),

With all due respect, unless your daughter is offering to let people use her house as a physical address, which I highly doubt, there's no reason to even mention Travis County, and certainly no reason to mention it over any other county in Texas.

I've had my domicile in Austin for over 20 years, but I never mention it as an option/alternative in these discussions because I have a U.S.P.S. post office box as my mailing address, and use a friend's residence as my physical address when one is required.  (My friend has a p.o. box at the same post office, and checks mine whenever he checks his.)  This obviously won't work for a fulltimer who doesn't have somebody in Travis County who will allow the fulltimer to use their residence as a physical address.  Nothing special about Travis County at all.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have composed a letter to our Congressman, who I think is Morgan Luttrell.  Feel free to copy and paste, but if you want to "make it your own", that might be even more effective.

I am one of thousands of Escapees who live in our RVs full-time and have no permanent "bricks and sticks" home.  We use the Escapees mail service, and have established our domicile in Livingston, TX.  We vote in Livingston, and have Texas driver's licenses.

On September 5, we received an email from Escapees telling us our address was changing.  The reason given was 

"U.S. Postal Service will only recognize a single physical mailing address for Escapees CMRA mail in our centralized Address Management System (AMS). This policy rescinds a portion of a Postal Service letter dated December 7, 1998, in which you were granted a unique zip code (77399) and a practice where broad address ranges were entered into the Postal Service’s AMS, referred to a “National Database” in the 1998 letter. Escapees will retain its unique zip code; however, the Postal Service will no longer recognize any unique building addresses created by Escapees for any private mailbox (PMB) customers.
- Clayton Gerber
U.S. Postal Inspector"

Apparently USPS has implemented some sort of arbitrary software change.  This will cause millions of dollars of expense for Escapees members, and countless hours of unnecessary work.  Each of us will have to pay a fee of $11 to change the address on our driver's licenses.

I would really appreciate it, as I am sure thousands of others would do, if you could get them to abandon this arbitrary and unnecessary change.

On 9/13/2024 at 3:50 PM, bigjim said:

I spoke to someone in the election clerks office at Polk Cty by phone this afternoon.  I have to get an updated voter id for my mail in ballot (or in person) since I already changed my address. They are supposedly sending out a form to me on the next mail out date. I already requested  the form to request a mail ballot. She said do not fill it out or send it back until I get my new voter id card.

If I was in the area I would be inclined to see what could do in person. 

Got my form to request a ballot by mail today. Hope I get the request for a corrected/new voter ID sometime early in this week. Where I am I do not get mail delivery on Sat.