Is it ok to stand on a 5th wheel slide out ?

Frogman

Hi Everyone,

I have some maintenance I need to do to my 5th wheel. The brand of trailer I own is a Redwood. I weight 170lbs. I the best way to do this maintenance is stand on the slide out. Is there any opinions whether the slide out can handle the extra weight ? 

All input is welcomed,

I certainly wouldn't.  They aren't built like the RV roof.  We always walked on our RV roof for maintenance and used a ladder on both sides of the slideout to reach washing it with a long-handled brush.  On our motorhome we had a slide-topper so never washed underneath it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, Frogman said:

update; So far I have not heard back from the manufacturer. I sent the question to Redwood on Wednesday. 

You may not hear back on this depending, on what you asked for.  If your question could be interpreted as: "Will you pay my expenses if my slide-out roof collapses, while I'm standing on it", I suspect you won't get a useful answer.

Here's a quick video that illustrates the potential problem:
Should you walk on your RV slide roof

If you were to only extend the slide out far enough to accommodate your feet, the risk of slide-out collapse would be significantly reduced.  But from a safety perspective, walking on a small plank, 12 foot off the ground, without guard-rails, could be very risky.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

4 hours ago, Frogman said:

Update; 1 week later, and no reply from the manufacturer. No surprise. Just disappointed. 

I wouldn't expect an answer to that question from them, unless it was from Spacecraft, New Horizons or another specialty builder. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

When I installed my solar panels, I put picnic table next to slideout. Put panel on top of table and leaned top to slideout. I stood on top of slideout and lifted panel to place on roof. Repeated this 10 times. But my slideouts are solid. I have been on roofs of other units and roof was not as solid as my slideout. Can't comment on yours. Never been on top of one. I seriously doubt you ever get answer from manufacturer. Personally I would casually put weight on and if it gives stop. At the edge where side is is strongest. Weaker as you go to center. But that is me and I not telling it it is alright. You have to make that choice

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1