Where were you on 9/11?

Kirk W

We were in route from Cheney State Park in Kansas to Clovis, CA to see our youngest son who was an Army recruiter there.  We had just completed our second tour as RV volunteers and stopped in Dalhart, TX for a couple of days to visit a museum and some historic sites, before traveling on. We got up and made coffee, then turned on the TV to see all of the commotion about an airplane crashing into the north tower of the World Trade Center. Just minutes later we sat transfixed to see the airplane hit the south tower, live on TV! After a while we left, still believing that the NYFD would get everything under control and went to visit a local museum. We weren't in the museum long before there was a commotion at their office and all of the docents headed into it, so we joined them. It seems that the news of a plane striking the pentagon was just breaking. We stayed with the museum workers through the collapse of the south tower, when we returned to the motorhome. We got back, turned on the TV and at 9:30 central time watched the north tower fall. We just hung around our RV, numb for the rest of that day. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was back in NC working in a Fabshop. Come over loud speaker and told us what was happening. I feel to my knees and prayed while crying like a baby. They sent us all home where my wife and I hugged and cried. To this day it is the darkest time in my life. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I was trenching power into a new house, finished up and went home just in time to see the first tower come down. What's ironic I was in NYC in the USCG going to electrician school and seen the towers when they were a hole in the ground, years later we were in NYC and went to the memorial and they were holes in the ground again. Very sad time in our nations history.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Dave was at work but I was at home, in the house we later sold to go fulltime RVing, waiting for repairmen to come fix walls damaged by an ice dam. When they came, they asked if they could watch my TV. I had no idea why but said they could. I spent most of the rest of that day glued to the TV while they went back to repairing the damage to our walls.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We were volunteering at a national park and were in the ranger's station.  A phone call came in and immediately an alert was given to all employees and volunteers for safety precautions.  We had to tell all campers to evacuate the campground and the park was closed for a few days.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I was serving a major search warrant with about 30 other detectives at a compound in our town.  It was still early morning on the west coast and we had just left our briefing and were headed to the target location when things started happening on the east coast.  It was hard to stay focused on our tasks, but we had a job to do that needed to be done.  Myself and another detective had to chase one of the occupants several blocks after he decided to run when we arrived.  We were able to catch him though.  It was a memorable day in more ways than one.

2009 Volvo 670 with dinette/workstation sleeper - Walter
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

image.png.eaf8b965647f94e8667dc9daa8ef9a46.png

Volunteering with the Forest Svc near Albuquerque. Me and another host had to vacate our location for about a week. Like the terorist was going to come after one little guy in the woods when you had Kirtland AFB nearby and Los Alamos not too far.   Goes to show logic does not always play a part in a crisis.

I was working from home (Connecticut) that day .  Walked outside and could see the smoke, which was about 40 miles (by air) away.  Spent most of the day glued to my PC.  It's still hard for me to believe it happened.

Imagine being trapped in one of those towers and your choices were:  burn to death, or die more quickly by jumping out a window.  Truly horrible.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

We had just recently returned from a summer spent traveling Alaska & Canada and were staying at an RV park in Spokane, WA visiting friends. The RV park was close enough to the airport that we could see the planes taking off, so it was eerie that there were no planes for several days afterwards. We spent the next few days glued to the TV except for the times we got together with friends.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

My wife and I were getting ready for work and listening to news on the radio.  It was a complete shock.  I went to my normal coffee shop and everyone was also in complete shock.  At work the emails were flying.  We had a manager who was Israelite and he basically said, "Welcome to the club".  A couple co-workers were Arab and they were also in shock, saying this was not true Islam.  

What I also remember was the disruption of air travel. I knew multiple people stranded, coworkers, friends and family.  My nephew was one of those stranded at a small town in Nova Scotia when his plane was diverted.  My wife's sister knew someone on the plane that hit the Pentagon.  A friend was stuck in Fiji for over a week, which does not sound like a bad place, but he really wanted to be home.  Another called his wife and said, "remember that mini-van we were going to buy in a few months, well I just bought it and am driving it 2000 miles to get home."  

We had a trip to Hawaii in November 2001 and decided to still go.  They were so happy to see us, because many cancelled their Hawaii trips.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

One of Dave's co-workers was in San Diego. He immediately rented a car to drive back to Minnesota. He was one of the lucky ones because he acted so quickly. Car rental places quickly ran out of inventory.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I was working in my yard at the time in South Florida when my wife (at the time) came out and said I needed to come inside and see what was on the TV. We lived near PBI in West Palm and it was so weird not to see or hear aircraft coming and going right after the event. Sad day for all. My youngest doesn't remember much of it since she was only 2 at the time. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.