Angled Hookup

SuiteSuccess

On 9/20/2024 at 10:09 PM, mike5511 said:

I never snap in with weight on the legs. Get someone to help you line up with the pin just in front of the jaws. Let the trailer down onto the plate until the weight is all on the plate. Then snap in. (Be sure you are chocked appropriately.)

Thinking, which is usually dangerous..... If you're hitching at an angle, which was the original question, and you have all the weight on the hitch, what keeps the trailer from moving sideways, and isn't that hard on the pinbox?  I don't see how you can chock for a sideload, unless the hitch angle is pretty small.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

7 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Thinking, which is usually dangerous..... If you're hitching at an angle, which was the original question, and you have all the weight on the hitch, what keeps the trailer from moving sideways, and isn't that hard on the pinbox?  I don't see how you can chock for a sideload, unless the hitch angle is pretty small.

I just chock the back wheel on the side I'd be pushing towards. You could put one in front of the wheel on the side the truck is on as well. So you would be chocking opposite corners in opposing directions.  I'm not moving much more than 6" before it locks in. I've never had a problem. I suppose the resistance is light enough on the disk plate that everything slides like it is supposed to and snaps right in. Had to do that a couple of times this year so far. Worked like a charm.

• Phil D changed the title to Angled Hookup