Quick Question for temporary bumper hitch wiring - Volvo

Tina-Jim

Greetings,

The Bride and I have decided to borrow our Daughters TT.  Since we only just have the truck for now, and the 'permanent' 5th wheel has not yet been acquired.

The question:  Can I simply tap in to the tractor wires at the rear turn/brake/run to get lights only on the TT.  Again, it is small unit, no built in brakes.  This is a temporary configuration, to get us to/through the HDT RALLY. 

(2020 Volvo VNR).

Thoughts?

Travel Safe,

Tina-Jim

Edited by Tina-Jim
Updated title.

2020 Volvo VNR 640; D11, i-Shift, 3.08 (to be singled)

• Tina-Jim changed the title to Quick Question for temporary bumper hitch wiring - Volvo

You'll need a separate adapter to convert from the tractor to trailer. The tractor has separate turn and stop circuits, the trailer doesn't. You can use a cheap diode converter from an auto parts store for short term use. The Jackalopee is the better long term fix. Jay

Tina-Jim,

Have very similar truck to you. This is the wiring at the plug at rear of truck. Turn and stop are together here unlike trailer plug.

Ken....

Rear Lights Wiring Plug.png

Edited by hatrack
edit

2024 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

IMG_1230_1.png

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

Tina-Jim,

Have very similar truck to you. This is the wiring at the plug at rear of truck. Turn and stop are together here unlike trailer plug.

Ken....

Rear Lights Wiring Plug.png

This may cause your lighting module in the tractor to get upset because it will draw more current for the running and turn signals than it wants to see.   I would suggest at least you will need a Chineesium wiring converter off the trailer plug.  You will eventually need a Jackalopee why not just get one and use it.

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry