Off Topic: Underground Propane Tanks

SuiteSuccess

Totally off topic, but need to pick the brains of some of you since the knowledge of this group covers lots of areas.  I live in the country and have a buried 1000 gallon propane tank that is not leaking but might be getting to the end of its service life since it was installed in 2000 and is now 24 years old.  I would assume it is anode protected with magnesium anode bags but cannot find any wire connecting points.  Trinity Industries manufactured the tank but sold off that division 10 years ago and can’t give me any guidance.  I cannot find anyone in my area that can test the bags or has a copper sulfate half-cell electrode equipment to rent.  I can buy the electrode and test myself which is option 2. (YouTube explains how pretty well).  So here are my options:  1.  Continue searching for pro service (unsuccessful after many calls). 2.  Buy the half cell electrode and test myself. ($100).  3.  Just buy new anode bags and attach (need two 17# bags at $350 a piece) 4.  Bite the bullet and replace the whole tank. (~$10,000 including installation).  
Conceivably these tanks are good for 25-30 years underground but don’t have any previous experience myself to base that on.  So any suggestions/ help from anyone with experience?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

21 minutes ago, spindrift said:

What's your liability in the event of a tank failure?

Low based on location.  Most likely failure would be perceptible leak that should be easily detectable.  Low risk of explosion or fire.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Got any pipelines in your area? They're all anode protected, and have access to companies that test/install/maintain anode beds and the underground services they protect.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you have plans to stay in the house, I would be inclined to change out the whole enchilada.  Of course, I always enjoy spending other people's money.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Is there a requirement that your tank be underground, or is it just your preference? 

A home I owned in Florida had an underground tank with underground piping to an old Hot Tub heater that had been removed before I purchased the property. Didn't think anything about it until on of the dogs we had at the time passed out on the enclosed lanai behind the  house. After an emergency Vet visit that couldn't find anything I decided to investigate the area where she was found. Got lucky and caught a faint whiff of the LP and found the cap the person who terminated the line with had a small hole rusted into it. If it wasn't for the dog I doubt I would have found the issue. 

In Iowa most of the tanks are above ground, but there still have been issues with a line developing a leak and going into the basement's of the home and it's found after the explosion. Thankfully they don't happen often, but I can remember  a few. 

I'm glad to not have to worry about a sticks and bricks and my propane tanks are all just 20#. I do spray the connection with each change and at least once a year spray all the connections I can see. One day I will remove the Gas cooktop and eliminate one of the connections that is really difficult to get to. 

Not an answer to your question, but I'd put in a well camouflaged above ground tank that had a solid line to the house with an entrance above ground well away from any potential ignitions sources. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.