Off Topic: Underground Propane Tanks

SuiteSuccess

Totally off topic, but need to pick the brains of some of you since the knowledge of this group covers lots of areas.  I live in the country and have a buried 1000 gallon propane tank that is not leaking but might be getting to the end of its service life since it was installed in 2000 and is now 24 years old.  I would assume it is anode protected with magnesium anode bags but cannot find any wire connecting points.  Trinity Industries manufactured the tank but sold off that division 10 years ago and can’t give me any guidance.  I cannot find anyone in my area that can test the bags or has a copper sulfate half-cell electrode equipment to rent.  I can buy the electrode and test myself which is option 2. (YouTube explains how pretty well).  So here are my options:  1.  Continue searching for pro service (unsuccessful after many calls). 2.  Buy the half cell electrode and test myself. ($100).  3.  Just buy new anode bags and attach (need two 17# bags at $350 a piece) 4.  Bite the bullet and replace the whole tank. (~$10,000 including installation).  
Conceivably these tanks are good for 25-30 years underground but don’t have any previous experience myself to base that on.  So any suggestions/ help from anyone with experience?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

21 minutes ago, spindrift said:

What's your liability in the event of a tank failure?

Low based on location.  Most likely failure would be perceptible leak that should be easily detectable.  Low risk of explosion or fire.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Got any pipelines in your area? They're all anode protected, and have access to companies that test/install/maintain anode beds and the underground services they protect.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you have plans to stay in the house, I would be inclined to change out the whole enchilada.  Of course, I always enjoy spending other people's money.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Is there a requirement that your tank be underground, or is it just your preference? 

A home I owned in Florida had an underground tank with underground piping to an old Hot Tub heater that had been removed before I purchased the property. Didn't think anything about it until on of the dogs we had at the time passed out on the enclosed lanai behind the  house. After an emergency Vet visit that couldn't find anything I decided to investigate the area where she was found. Got lucky and caught a faint whiff of the LP and found the cap the person who terminated the line with had a small hole rusted into it. If it wasn't for the dog I doubt I would have found the issue. 

In Iowa most of the tanks are above ground, but there still have been issues with a line developing a leak and going into the basement's of the home and it's found after the explosion. Thankfully they don't happen often, but I can remember  a few. 

I'm glad to not have to worry about a sticks and bricks and my propane tanks are all just 20#. I do spray the connection with each change and at least once a year spray all the connections I can see. One day I will remove the Gas cooktop and eliminate one of the connections that is really difficult to get to. 

Not an answer to your question, but I'd put in a well camouflaged above ground tank that had a solid line to the house with an entrance above ground well away from any potential ignitions sources. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

For what it is worth my in-laws bought a house in 1993 that was built in 1957. It still had the original propane tank installed and it was underground. They knew it was original as the owner/builder of the house stated it had never been replaced. They never performed any maintenance other than what the propane delivery folks did to the valves on the top.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I'd try an online search for "cathodic protection maintenance contractors near me", or some variation of that.  Even if all it brings up are companies that only work on larger projects, they may know of small outfits that do small jobs like yours.  Also, I'd think that your propane distributor should know of CP contractors that work in their service areas, as you're likely not their only customer with an underground tank.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Unfortunately my HOA (I live in an acreage neighborhood in the country) requires buried tanks NO above ground.  I have called every propane distributor in my area and they know no one that does this inspection.  Most have not even heard of routine testing.  Called a couple of suppliers and installers of above and underground tanks and they likewise don’t know a service.  They said they just install a couple of anodes, hook them up and bury them.  Had no information on inspection intervals ( yeah, really gives you the warm and fuzzies).  I will try Phil and Darryl’s suggestion next. Exhausting that, I’m going to just buy the half cell, pull out the multimeter and test myself.  Interesting this group has better ideas than anyone of the so called “experts “.  Thanks for the input.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

If you have a rural gas co-op, or any kind of natural gas piping in the area, they'll either have someone who installs and test their cathodic (and like donuts) or will have a contractor. The contractors will also like donuts.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

5. Don't worry about it unless it's leaking,  deal with it , if you're still the owner, then.

Our 500 gallon tank put under ground 2005. Filled and inspected annually. High pressure regulator replaced in 2022 due to leaking. 

How many more years do you plan on living there? Maybe the home gets an inheritance and you want it future proofed, otherwise I would say out of sight out of mind rather than worry. 

Just another perspective. 

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Problem is.....Carl likes donuts too.  The crew would never see them.

You say that like it's a personal fault. There's a reason the local donut shop sells multiple size containers. The usually sell donut belly buttons, too, if you're watching your carb intake.

Please e-mail us here.

Well, Carl is "fiscally sensitive".  He watches his pennies.  So, he'd only buy 1/2 dozen donuts.  Of course he'd need to sample one in the interest of quality control.  Can't be giving the crew inferior donuts.  But, to get a statistically significant sampling, he'd better eat another to be sure that first one isn't a fluke.  While sitting at the traffic light, he'd accidently grab a third and have it half gone before realizing these are for someone else.  Arrive back at the job site to fine four guys on the job.  Dang, there's only three donuts left.  Now what?  Destroy the evidence.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

14 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, Carl is "fiscally sensitive".  He watches his pennies.  So, he'd only buy 1/2 dozen donuts.  Of course he'd need to sample one in the interest of quality control.  Can't be giving the crew inferior donuts.  But, to get a statistically significant sampling, he'd better eat another to be sure that first one isn't a fluke.  While sitting at the traffic light, he'd accidently grab a third and have it half gone before realizing these are for someone else.  Arrive back at the job site to fine four guys on the job.  Dang, there's only three donuts left.  Now what?  Destroy the evidence.

Wow, try to ask intelligent people a legitimate question and it comes to this?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

17 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Wow, try to ask intelligent people a legitimate question and it comes to this?

Haha! Look who he's calling intelligent.

Please e-mail us here.

18 hours ago, rickeieio said:

😂😂😂😂

5 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Haha! Look who he's calling intelligent.

Well, Carl knows me pretty well, so I'm sure I'm not included in that "intelligent" group.

And Darryl, I think you know me well enough to also exclude me from that description.

You can call me anything except "late for supper".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Another possibility, Carl, if you know someone that works for the local gas company (assuming that some of the neighborhoods nearby have natural gas service) or a pipeline, ask them if they know if any of their corrosion techs (every company with steel pipe in the ground either has them or contracts it out, and the more pipe they have in the ground, the more likely it is that they have their own techs) might work on the side to check your tank's cathodic protection.  If you happen to live anywhere near the Texas Eastern or East Tennessee Natural Gas (Enbridge) or Tennessee Gas (Kinder Morgan) pipeline systems, they will definitely have their own corrosion techs working in the area.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

On 9/30/2024 at 4:39 PM, Phil D said:

Another possibility, Carl, if you know someone that works for the local gas company (assuming that some of the neighborhoods nearby have natural gas service) or a pipeline, ask them if they know if any of their corrosion techs (every company with steel pipe in the ground either has them or contracts it out, and the more pipe they have in the ground, the more likely it is that they have their own techs) might work on the side to check your tank's cathodic protection.  If you happen to live anywhere near the Texas Eastern or East Tennessee Natural Gas (Enbridge) or Tennessee Gas (Kinder Morgan) pipeline systems, they will definitely have their own corrosion techs working in the area.

Thank you.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Owned on on first real Stick Built home we owned, converted to Nat Gas and no longer needed, Gas company came out, filled with water and purged all remaining gas, walked away.  Is NO Cathodic Protection, coating on tank is all it has ever been.  No Anodes, no induced charge to tank, NADA ZILCH.  At the power station ALL piping and metal systems in full burial had Anodic or Cathodic protection systems.