How many here live with Afib

I been thinking I was just getting older and out of shape. But my lack of wind and fatigue kept getting worse. So went to a cardiologist Friday and diagnosed me with Afib. Put me on beta blocker and blood pressure drugs while I wait on further tests. More I research this it seems fairly common in seniors..

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My wife was recently diagnosed with aFib and like you placed on medications for it. We got a device called a Kardia Mobile which is like a portable EKG and it tests for aFib. Her cardiologist said they recommended it and it is FDA approved unlike some others you might see advertised. When she checks herself the results can be captured and emailed to the cardiologist. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Posted (edited)

On one of my visits he fits me up with a heart monitor that I wear for a week. Also doing stress test. Also an imagining device with a dye in my veins. Also a pulmonary test. Miss type my drugs. Beta blocker and blood pressure medicine although I have never had high blood pressure. I was 120/80. Oh well just checked. That is high

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My wife has it, been on going for bout 4 years.  She's on those meds and keeps an eye on blood pressure.  It was discovered during a routine medical appt, they saw her heart rate over 180 and immediately admitted her to the hosp.  She under went the defib. shock treatment trying to get her heart beating fully, didn't work.  On those meds, she has to watch out for cuts/scrapes/bruises, etc.  Anything that does not immediately show healing, she has to call the Dr.  She can barely brush against anything and start bruising.  Dr. said this is her new norm because of the meds.

Any time we travel or go camping, I make sure I have a good cell phone signal or immediately move down the road.  Being within a medical care facility close reach is also planned for every stop.  She gets tired easily, we go for .5 mile walks and it whoops her, spending much time out in the yard is fairly short now.  Other than slowing down and taking meds, she leads a normal life.  Sometimes she doesn't understand, or appreciate that now I'm always connected at the hip with her.

2022 Coachman Leprechaun, traveling around to dark sky areas and chasing the stars.

Diagnosed un June of 2023 after a strenuous three day motorcycle ride from San Antonio back to Central Oregon.  Felt like crap, lethargic and BP was 75/35.  Landed in ER and diagnosed with AFIB.  Like you, beta blocker along with blood thinner and then a shock treatment a month later.  All seems to be running as it should now although BP does spike occasionally.  Cardiologist visit in December.

Many our age (79) suffer from AFIB.  Tough getting old, eh?

Lenp

USN Retired
2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

2024 HD Triglide

My first stroke occurred at age 80 in April 2023 on the day we returned to our base from our Georgia/Florida winter trip. The cause was determined to be a lack of oxygen to my brain due to AFIB related cavitation when my heart rate was too high by my cardiologist and my neurologist. I was put on beta blockers, blood thinners, etc. My second stroke in November 2023 was caused by a blood clot that was thought to have originated in my heart during the previous AFIB episodes and finally migrated to my brain. It took a week in the hospital to sort that one out. A year later, I have some issues with walking, talking, and manual dexterity, that are likely permanent.

The bottom line is that AFIB is serious business, and I highly recommend that anyone in our age group at a minimum, purchase an easy to use heart rate/blood oxygen monitor so you can easily check yourself any time you feel your heart may be racing or you feel unusually tired. Any unusually high readings are cause to call your doctor, and if the symptoms last more than a few minutes, goto the ER. Good devices only cost about $20 and are well worth it for the peace of mind that all is well, or the early warning that it's not. Monitors are available at pharmacies, Amazon, etc., and you've probably used one at your doctor's office when they clipped it on a finger to read the digital display for a few seconds.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Sure did. That little clip was giving lots of info. First I ever seen one. I have never felt my heart racing. My complaint was tiring so quickly and gasping for air. I haven't heard my heart beat in a long time. May be do to the loud ringing in my ears. Lifetime of construction work

I should have been clearer... The key information the monitor gives you is both your heart rate and your blood oxygen level. The resting heart rate should typically be under 100, and the oxygen saturation should be in the mid to high 90's range. If it drops below 90, you may be in need of supplemental oxygen. Your blood pressure can be another factor in your heart health as well of course. In all cases, consult your doctor if there's any question at all whether something is going on or not.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system